Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday April 3, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2020, 11:54 PM   #26
jimmypop
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 420367
Join Date: May 2015
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: canada
Vehicle:
2015 wrx
swp

Default

never get to drive one of those type R, can't stand the look....

I ordered a ice silver 2020 STI , should be here later this month, had a 15' wrx and still loved it
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
jimmypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:23 AM   #27
timmonstiffany81
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 511434
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Dubai, UAE
Default My Views

I think yes!
thank you
Best regards
Timmon Steffany
Manager at Volkswagen service Dubai Center
timmonstiffany81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 01:30 PM   #28
aw113sgte
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 508073
Join Date: Nov 2019
Default

I went with a 2020 STI for a few reasons. Live in WI in a hilly area so AWD allows year round use. It fits adults comfortably in the back. Has plenty of trunk space. Comes with a manual. It's basically the only option out there with all these.
We have a camaro SS, had a ND Miata, NSX, S2000, MR2, and many motorcycles. STI isn't the fastest, but it's really fun to drive and so practical which means I can use and have fun with it a lot more than the other options.
aw113sgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 01:40 PM   #29
bdc64
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 362821
Join Date: Jul 2013
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: BC, Canada
Vehicle:
2009 STI Hatch
Gray

Default

Would never compare a v8 domestic to a STI, unless you turn key A-B all of the vehicles will cost you to a point via maintenance and upgrades etc but no comparison. Good luck!
bdc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:43 PM   #30
AnalogMan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 497900
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: New England
Vehicle:
2019 WRX
WR Blue

Default

I had the same thoughts recently. Though I don't know if anything "official" has been announced regarding the 20201 WRX, FWIW I think you could get some hints by looking at the latest Impreza sedan. In the interests of cost-cutting, I suspect Subaru may well build the next WRX/STi using the Impreza body. When I looked at it, the choice was easy - I went out and bought a new WRX.

It's all personal taste. The next WRX/STi might have a more powerful engine or other 'improvements'. But I liked the styling of the current WRX much better than the current Impreza sedan. The latest version of the Impreza might be bigger (and therefore more spacious), but to me doesn't look as good. It also has much more obvious signs of cost-cutting and parts sharing than the current WRX.

2020 might be the last year of the current WRX/STi body. Seeing all of Subaru's efforts to share platforms and parts, and reduce costs, I'm surprised they're building the WRX/STi and Impreza at all using different bodies.

Even if the next WRX has more 'power', I have no regrets about buying the WRX. I absolutely love it, and plan to keep it as long as I'm able to drive (being in my 60's, I'm probably in a little different place in life than most people here).
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:16 PM   #31
oichan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 492327
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: A garage in the Midwest
Vehicle:
19 WRX / 16 STI
17 Golf-R / 16 FiST

Default

AnalogMan - I too opted for a new analog Yamaha mixer vs a digital one recently.. meaning, new technology does not necessarily mean they are better especially at the same price range. I do not mind buying older technology as the product is vetted.

The current WRX/STI is a mature platform with a lot of the bugs worked out so you made a great choice. I too have been thinking whether I should buy the last EJ STI before they are all gone, even though I already have a 2016 STI I bought new 4yrs ago which I would keep along side.
oichan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 10:38 PM   #32
NighthawkSTI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 495630
Join Date: Dec 2018
Default

whatever other drivetrain they might be putting in for the next gen, in my opinion will be short lived anyway because the STI is probably going to be electric hybrid within 5 years.

The EJ257 ....it has been an amazing success, created a MASSIVE endless supply of performance upgrades, that just KEEPS GROWING!!!!

If you can get an STI now, do it !!!! Dont wait.
NighthawkSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:58 PM   #33
xX_STI_Xx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 493470
Join Date: Nov 2018
Vehicle:
2019 STI
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NighthawkSTI View Post
whatever other drivetrain they might be putting in for the next gen, in my opinion will be short lived anyway because the STI is probably going to be electric hybrid within 5 years.

The EJ257 ....it has been an amazing success, created a MASSIVE endless supply of performance upgrades, that just KEEPS GROWING!!!!

If you can get an STI now, do it !!!! Dont wait.
Yup! I also heard rumors that the new platforms for both WRX and STI will have electric steering....this feature alone makes the current gen STI's hydraulic steering system worth it's weight in gold.
xX_STI_Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:11 PM   #34
rtv900
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 428511
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: philadelphia
Vehicle:
2016 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX_STI_Xx View Post
Yup! I also heard rumors that the new platforms for both WRX and STI will have electric steering....this feature alone makes the current gen STI's hydraulic steering system worth it's weight in gold.
huh?

worth it's weight in gold? What does that mean? Like people will be paying a premium for older ones with hydraulic steering?
rtv900 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 03:10 PM   #35
oichan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 492327
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: A garage in the Midwest
Vehicle:
19 WRX / 16 STI
17 Golf-R / 16 FiST

Default

Actually my WRX's electric steering is quite good.. it's great that I have hydraulic steering on my STI to have a variety of flavors.
oichan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 03:33 PM   #36
WRXnick16
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 447898
Join Date: May 2016
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: W Sac, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX (traded)
2019 STI CWP

Default

EPS can be designed well. It's just a bit more "numb" in the WRX. The EPS in the BRZ feels much better.

The WRX's EPS has a slower steering ratio of 14.5:1 (less response) and a rubber steering dampener designed to reduce road feedback (and directness).

Hopefully the next gen STI will retain a quicker 13.x:1 steering ratio and a solid steering linkage with no dampener.
WRXnick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 03:53 PM   #37
rtv900
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 428511
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: philadelphia
Vehicle:
2016 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oichan View Post
Actually my WRX's electric steering is quite good.. it's great that I have hydraulic steering on my STI to have a variety of flavors.
I have a car with electric steering and it is good too
it has various modes for more or less assist and more or less ratio, and that is what really dictates the road feel IMO
rtv900 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:52 PM   #38
oichan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 492327
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: A garage in the Midwest
Vehicle:
19 WRX / 16 STI
17 Golf-R / 16 FiST

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtv900 View Post
I have a car with electric steering and it is good too
it has various modes for more or less assist and more or less ratio, and that is what really dictates the road feel IMO
Yes, I agree that the rack ratio does play a big role, and how large the diameter of the steering wheel is (also ratio).

I think the best part about electric steering is that I don't have to fight the steering wheel while cornering over bumpy roads. Maybe a little numb, but I don't need to look like some rodeo cowboy while driving my cars..
oichan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:43 PM   #39
AnalogMan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 497900
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: New England
Vehicle:
2019 WRX
WR Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oichan View Post
AnalogMan - I too opted for a new analog Yamaha mixer vs a digital one recently.. meaning, new technology does not necessarily mean they are better especially at the same price range. I do not mind buying older technology as the product is vetted.

The current WRX/STI is a mature platform with a lot of the bugs worked out so you made a great choice. I too have been thinking whether I should buy the last EJ STI before they are all gone, even though I already have a 2016 STI I bought new 4yrs ago which I would keep along side.
oichan, I'm totally with you. I love my Marantz amplifier, and have many vacuum tube audio devices around our house. But then, I've never craved the 'latest' or 'newest'. I seek out things I consider to have intrinsic 'quality', which means different things to everyone. I'm also totally with you on preferring vetted older technology to beta-testing stage new stuff.

In cars, for me that means reliability, a feeling of solidity, and in general being over-engineered. That's increasingly hard to come by, not just in cars but most manufactured goods, as companies in all industries relentlessly pursue cost-cutting to squeeze out as much profit as possible. Sadly, the American car companies have taken that kind of cost-cutting to an extreme, and it shows glaringly.
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:20 PM   #40
oichan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 492327
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: A garage in the Midwest
Vehicle:
19 WRX / 16 STI
17 Golf-R / 16 FiST

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
oichan, I'm totally with you. I love my Marantz amplifier, and have many vacuum tube audio devices around our house. But then, I've never craved the 'latest' or 'newest'. I seek out things I consider to have intrinsic 'quality', which means different things to everyone. I'm also totally with you on preferring vetted older technology to beta-testing stage new stuff.

In cars, for me that means reliability, a feeling of solidity, and in general being over-engineered. That's increasingly hard to come by, not just in cars but most manufactured goods, as companies in all industries relentlessly pursue cost-cutting to squeeze out as much profit as possible. Sadly, the American car companies have taken that kind of cost-cutting to an extreme, and it shows glaringly.
Nice~! Nothing like warm analog sound. I agree, these STI/WRX are very reliable and the 18+ have been nicely revised. I'm not a fan of the 2020 STI's wheels however..
oichan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:06 AM   #41
yodevo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 507343
Join Date: Oct 2019
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: WA
Vehicle:
2020 STI Limited
Blanco

Default

I have been wanting an STI for 16yrs, patiently waiting for the right time to purchase one, waiting for STI to work out all the bugs, making all the tweeks & listening to enthusiasts on how to make the car better. After hearing that they may more than likely come out with a new platform for the 2021 series, i pulled the trigger, sold my Jeep SRT8, ordered & bought the 2020 STI....no regrets. I have had the car since mid Oct & loving every day with it. I didn't want the possible new platform because as some have mentioned, it'll take yrs to work out all the kinks/bugs, to where the current platform is polished to somewhat raw perfection. Buy the STI now! The new machine finished wheels aren't that great looking, but nothing that a new set of wheels can't change Good luck with your decision & may the ups & downs in life....be in bed!
yodevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:46 AM   #42
deanstevenson
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 388613
Join Date: Apr 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodevo View Post
I have been wanting an STI for 16yrs, patiently waiting for the right time to purchase one . . . ordered & bought the 2020 STI....no regrets.
Congratulations! Hope it serves you well.
deanstevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:04 PM   #43
1boostedrex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 511636
Join Date: Feb 2020
Default

I have 17' wrx that I leased and it's up at the end of the year. I can't decide if I want to pull the trigger on a 20' STi or the 21' model. I wish Subaru would show us. Lol. Hopefully some info at the New York autoshow.
1boostedrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:17 PM   #44
NighthawkSTI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 495630
Join Date: Dec 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtv900 View Post
huh?

worth it's weight in gold? What does that mean? Like people will be paying a premium for older ones with hydraulic steering?
based on all the rumors flying around about the new gens(most of which aren't exactly inspiring confidence that they will have more power or better engines), the Prior Gen STI's with the EJ257 6 speed and hydraulic steering WILL be worth their weight in gold...
NighthawkSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:42 AM   #45
rtv900
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 428511
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: philadelphia
Vehicle:
2016 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NighthawkSTI View Post
based on all the rumors flying around about the new gens(most of which aren't exactly inspiring confidence that they will have more power or better engines), the Prior Gen STI's with the EJ257 6 speed and hydraulic steering WILL be worth their weight in gold...
I have a feeling when I sell mine, it's going to be worth exactly what any used car is worth
A fraction of what it was worth new based on age and mileage.
rtv900 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:07 AM   #46
oichan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 492327
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: A garage in the Midwest
Vehicle:
19 WRX / 16 STI
17 Golf-R / 16 FiST

Default

You'll probably have to wait like 20yrs to see if the value really goes up or not. By that time I would be dead.
oichan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:15 AM   #47
rtv900
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 428511
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: philadelphia
Vehicle:
2016 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oichan View Post
You'll probably have to wait like 20yrs to see if the value really goes up or not. By that time I would be dead.
right, exactly

waiting out something like hydraulic steering becoming a value point is decades minimum
How many cars have we all, or our family, had over the last 30 years that would be cool to magically still have today?
tons, but storing them for decades is nearly impossible for the average person.

I wish I had my mom's 85 mercedes 300 turbo diesel and my dads 85 jeep wagoneer
Only problem is for two decades they were just old cars and nobody wanted to store them, and if they are left to sit outside you may as well take them straight to a junkyard.
rtv900 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:25 AM   #48
NighthawkSTI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 495630
Join Date: Dec 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtv900 View Post
I have a feeling when I sell mine, it's going to be worth exactly what any used car is worth
A fraction of what it was worth new based on age and mileage.
Oh..No. I'm not saying that literally that they will be worth their weight in gold monetarily....I was referring to the desireability of the GD's and the other desireable years for the STI before they become electrified. The desireability(the gold), will be for the raw driving experience, the road feel the connection to the driver....some of that is going to be lost when they start changing things and changing the character of the car. So worth their weight in gold from a driving experience and raw connected feel. The sharp steering and road feel, being connected to what the car does is a primary appeal of the STI.

Electric motor and battery technology is growing exponentially in the automotive industry, the advances in the next 5-10 years are going to happen and be integrated MUCH faster than they have in the past 5-10 years. The 2004-2007 STI's especially will be coveted for what they were and what they led to. The gens in between and the current will be the last hurrah before everything changes.
NighthawkSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:07 PM   #49
xX_STI_Xx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 493470
Join Date: Nov 2018
Vehicle:
2019 STI
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NighthawkSTI View Post
The desireability(the gold), will be for the raw driving experience, the road feel the connection to the driver....some of that is going to be lost when they start changing things and changing the character of the car. So worth their weight in gold from a driving experience and raw connected feel. The sharp steering and road feel, being connected to what the car does is a primary appeal of the STI.
Thanks NighthawkSTI, that was exactly what I was trying to say.

Electric steering is not a dead end, but in terms of feel and connection with the road...nothing beats hydraulic "analog" steering. For those who don't agree, just ask the BMW community. A big part of BMW's sales decline is because they went from hydraulic to electric steering. BMW's (for the longest time) were known for their excellent driving feel because of their hydraulic power steering system. When you go electric, your no longer connected directly to the road...you have a "digital" assistant that makes every steering action feel the same...no true feedback (i.e., analog feel of steering wheel fighting you).
xX_STI_Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:55 AM   #50
jcb-memphis
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 461117
Join Date: Jan 2017
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Vehicle:
2019 STI
Lapis

Default

[quote=xX_STI_Xx;46237207]Thanks NighthawkSTI, that was exactly what I was trying to say.

I like the analog nature of the current STI and bought one knowing full well a new model was about to come out.


And bought it rather than a vw golf R for the same reasons..... I prefer how the STI drives.


Best per dollar car now imho.
jcb-memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2020 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.