Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday March 30, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-19-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
wantinaSTI
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 185578
Default Hood won't open

Cannot get my hood open on my 98 OBS. I had it open earlier today. I pulled the release and go to open as normal and nothing. The cable i think is fine cause there was and is tension on it. I have been having trouble with it closing normally so i've had to let it drop further than normal to get it to stay closed. Did i bend something? I had a friend pull the release while i tried the manipulating the hood latch. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.
wantinaSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
leecea
Scooby Guru

Member#: 37359
Vehicle:
2003 WRX

Sorry, no suggestion on how to get it open but I did have problems with my hood latch sticking. WD-40 solved the problem. Once you do get it open, spray it while moving it through the full range of motion.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
eviladam
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 37033
Vehicle:
11 wrx
silver

my 02 routinely had problems with the hood latch. it would release, but would get stuck in the release position and not latch closed again. spraying wd-40 or pb blaster on it and moving all the parts would get it working again.
eviladam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
NY2007Impreza
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 289079

The latch on my '07 Impreza Wagon wouldn't lock this past winter when the temperature was around -5F. I had to open the hood because one of the belts was squealing in the cold and I wanted to see which one. When I tried to close the hood the latch was all frozen and gummed up. WD-40 and a screwdriver to work the latch eventually freed it up. I would spray it out good while working the release and then lube it with some good oil.
NY2007Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:30 PM   #5
Just13lazeNW
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 352557
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2002 wrx wagon
silver

my hood release is completely jammed. the cable wont move at all. is wd gonna do the trick for that? or am I gonna have to brake my grill out and undo some bolts?? I don't mind that cause I like the no grill look anyways..
Just13lazeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:09 PM   #6
scmadm
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 511069
Default Stuck hood remedy

I have a 2015 Subaru Impreza. The hood would not open, despite any jiggling, pressing/hitting down on the hood while someone worked the latch. It was really stuck. My solution was getting pliers on the wire near the inside latch and pulling on the cable far enough...and sure enough the hood popped open. The issue was that there was too much slack on the hood cable. It needed to be attached better so it couldn't slide inward when the release was pulled. So...after lubricating the latch liberally, I pulled the cable as far from the engine as I could and used wire ties to hold it there. Now....works like it should.
scmadm is offline   Reply With Quote