Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday March 29, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-26-2019, 06:58 PM   #1
1stinlastout
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 504461
Default Snapped Camshaft Capbolt

Finally getting the motor back together and I couldn't get the RH intake bolt to torque. I took it out and cleaned it up and tried to re-torque and snap.
1stinlastout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2019, 07:39 PM   #2
1stinlastout
Scooby Newbie

Default Photos

Last edited by 1stinlastout; 12-27-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-27-2019, 12:13 AM   #3
Jedi03
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 491095
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2009 STi Blue
Blue

Camt see the pic but put an ex out in the center and get a new one...mine stripped out during removal...local subaru got em quick for me...probably was just fatigued...
Jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:16 AM   #4
Turn in Concepts
Former Vendor

Member#: 93646
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
Many Track Records
Let us help you go fast!

Were you able to get it out?
Turn in Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 01:31 PM   #5
1stinlastout
Scooby Newbie

I couldn't figure out to post the picture, but there is a link above. I was able to get it out very easily. I had to go to the Home Depot and pick up a screw extractor. I put it in and gave it a light tap and then turned it to the left. The broken part backed out just using my fingers. I thought I was going to have to tear down the head to get it out. I even had a new spare bolt on hand. I ordered one when I bought the replacement exhaust bolt that I destroyed when I disassembled the engine.
Old 12-27-2019, 01:43 PM   #6
1stinlastout
Scooby Newbie

I thought I was going to have to tear down the head to get it out. I even had a new spare bolt on hand. I ordered one when I bought the replacement exhaust bolt that I destroyed when I disassembled the engine.

Those cap bolts are one of the big challenges of the turbo engines. This is my first go at it. Coming off and going back on were a bear. The spec is 133 ft lbs and I know when I was removing the one that stripped out I was putting well over 150 ft lbs on the 10MM hex when it stripped out. I took an old axle nut and welded it on and it came right off. I also ended up ruining the bakelite exhaust cam gear with a grinder before I went to the welder. Make sure there is no oil on the face of the cam gear where the cap bolt contacts it or it wont torque.
Old 12-28-2019, 11:35 AM   #7
zcivic
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 199691
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
04 Forester XT
Black

Default Snapped Camshaft Capbolt

Whoa 133 is way too much. 21-22 ft then additional 45 degree. At least on the ej25. Removal can be a pain. Iíve had pretty good luck with cam gear holders and 1/2 long handle breaker bar. Nothing ever goes as planned though.

Last edited by zcivic; 12-28-2019 at 11:54 AM.
zcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 12:48 PM   #8
Turn in Concepts
Former Vendor

Member#: 93646
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
Many Track Records
Let us help you go fast!

Man... if only someone made replacement bolts that had a nice proper hex head on them...
Turn in Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:32 PM   #9
1stinlastout
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcivic View Post
Whoa 133 is way too much. 21-22 ft then additional 45 degree. At least on the ej25. Removal can be a pain. Iíve had pretty good luck with cam gear holders and 1/2 long handle breaker bar. Nothing ever goes as planned though.
You are right. I was looking at the crankbolt spec. Well, I think I'm going to leave them over tight. I probably didn't rotate them much more than 45 degrees past tight. I think I'll just leave them tight like that.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:20 AM   #10
awfulwaffle
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 409332
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
PBP

FWIW - I torque mine with a digital torque wrench that continues to display torque during the angle sequence. The final torque typically reads 100-130 ft-lbs, so 133 isn't an order of magnitude high or anything.
awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 12:58 PM   #11
zcivic
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 199691
Vehicle:
04 Forester XT
Black

Surprised that 1/4 turn after 22lbs is getting an additional 80ft but on the older ej20 they only torque to 72 and they are a solid on intake and exhaust side. On the avcs going much higher then that I would be worried especially on removal because they are much harder to remove.
zcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:42 AM   #12
1stinlastout
Scooby Newbie

Default I removed one.

I am such an amateur. I came to the oil line on the driver's side and it has to go on before the intake cam sprocket is installed. Of course it stripped with a 10mm hex, but I was able to get it out with a Irwin 3/4" extractor, 3/8 breaker bar and a 4' pipe. I ran up to local dealer and picked up two new bolts so I would have a spare. I didn't want to reuse the old bolt because of the over torque and it got nicked up by the extractor.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:07 PM   #13
2slofouru
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 90539
Vehicle:
My BOV goes
COVFEFE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn in Concepts View Post
Man... if only someone made replacement bolts that had a nice proper hex head on them...
If only I'd remembered before buying a set of oems. Definitely will get a set of TIC if any of them have to be removed. I just referred my friend putting his engine together to visit Oakos.com to get a set of TIC bolts, he'd rounded one trying to remove it. He was stoked to find TIC makes a normal hex bolt. I felt stupid when he messaged me, because I'd forgotten to buy the TIC bolts for mine.

Hmmm...

Last edited by 2slofouru; 01-26-2020 at 12:33 PM.
2slofouru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:22 PM   #14
2slofouru
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 90539
Vehicle:
My BOV goes
COVFEFE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stinlastout View Post

Share your pics with https://img.nasioc.com/?lang=en , easy peasy