Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday June 2, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > FA Series Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-30-2019, 04:50 PM   #26
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 198281
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte30m3 View Post
So much want as an add on to the KBM EWG headers I already have... take my money!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz16 View Post
What would it take to upgrade an existing twin scroll fury kit to the recirculated waste gate setup? I'd be interested in that since oil leakage in my GTX-3067R is 'forcing' me to look at this area again anyway.

(P.S. Just sent you a question about that through your website.)

-Gabriel
responded to the e-mail

If you wanted that recirc setup on the Fury kit, we can do it, but I would want the car here. We've never actually sold a recirc setup, due to the cost. Most just deal with the noise. The one we did build went with the car (shop car that I drove) when it was sold. I never put money into building fixtures because there was never interest, in the two years since we posted pics/prices. So we can do it, but would need the car here.
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2019, 05:23 PM   #27
gaz16
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 484342
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
Ice Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
responded to the e-mail
Thanks, I appreciate that. I'll keep investigating that oil burn issue with some of your tips.

Quote:
If you wanted that recirc setup on the Fury kit, we can do it, but I would want the car here....
I've been wanting to take a trip to the east coast, could be fun to stop in! I'll keep that in mind when I get the car healthy again.
gaz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:34 AM   #28
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz16 View Post
Thanks, I appreciate that. I'll keep investigating that oil burn issue with some of your tips.

I've been wanting to take a trip to the east coast, could be fun to stop in! I'll keep that in mind when I get the car healthy again.
No problem, and definitely feel free to stop by the shop if you're in the area!
Old 11-01-2019, 06:46 AM   #29
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Looks like we will have 3 sets going out to various sources for independent testing and feedback. I don't expect to see and results for +1 month, but the testers are from stock to built, so it should give some good data across the range.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:08 PM   #30
Matrex15
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 473848
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2015 Wrx
White

Quote:
Looks like we will have 3 sets going out to various sources for independent testing and feedback. I don't expect to see and results for +1 month, but the testers are from stock to built, so it should give some good data across the range.
Any news yet?
Matrex15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:34 AM   #31
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrex15 View Post
Any news yet?
Testing has gone well. The feedback is positive and the results about what you'd expect; better than IWG, but not quite as much as VTA EWGs.

We've learned some things along the way as well.

As we're going over the costs I wanted to share some of the information and am asking for your feedback...

These systems would all come catted and with a complete J/I-Pipe. In other words, it words the post turbo exhaust would go from turbine to the cat-back. Testers were sent just J-Pipes, and that just didn't work out because aftermarket J and I Pipe manufacturers are not using OEM flange locations like we did way back when designing FA WRX exhaust parts. There is no standard for these flange locations, so a complete J/I needs to be part of the equation. Also, the setup would need to be sold COMPLETE. There is no 'upgrading' any existing EWG headers. This is due to slip fits that needs to be used. Unfortunately there's no room to use a flex section, and I wouldn't want to one anyway, because they are unreliable over time.

The fab time and materials adds up. One of the things we struggle with in the FA20 WRX crowd is with pricing. Making stuff cheap is not our thing, we are on the other side of the scale.

So this is where the rubber hits the road. How much is a quiet EWG setup worth to you? As a bare-bones kit would you make this purchase at 2,999?
Old 03-11-2020, 07:34 PM   #32
Matrex15
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 473848
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2015 Wrx
White

Quote:
Testing has gone well. The feedback is positive and the results about what you'd expect; better than IWG, but not quite as much as VTA EWGs.

As we're going over the costs I wanted to share some of the information and am asking for your feedback...

These systems would all come catted and with a complete J/I-Pipe. In other words, it words the post turbo exhaust would go from turbine to the cat-back. Testers were sent just J-Pipes, and that just didn't work out because aftermarket J and I Pipe manufacturers are not using OEM flange locations like we did way back when designing FA WRX exhaust parts. There is no standard for these flange locations, so a complete J/I needs to be part of the equation. Also, the setup would need to be sold COMPLETE. There is no 'upgrading' any existing EWG headers. This is due to slip fits that needs to be used. Unfortunately there's no room to use a flex section, and I wouldn't want to one anyway, because they are unreliable over time.

The fab time and materials adds up. One of the things we struggle with in the FA20 WRX crowd is with pricing. Making stuff cheap is not our thing, we are on the other side of the scale.

So this is where the rubber hits the road. How much is a quiet EWG setup worth to you? As a bare-bones kit would you make this purchase at 2,999?
If I had the money sure I would do it. Ideally most daily's would go recirc but I dont think it's worth it. When you break it down it's not a bad price especially if your just starting your build.
Matrex15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:33 PM   #33
Stronkadonk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 440207
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
WRB

Quote:

At that point I'd shell out a little more and just get a Twin Scroll Fury Kit from you. Granted, I'm obnoxious and prefer the loud noises to begin with, but still. I feel like you'd never sell enough units to justify production and it would be better served remaining a custom fab deal.
Stronkadonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:09 AM   #34
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

How about if it could be an upgrade path? As-in retrofittable to customers that already had our EWG headers? This way the cost of admission gets spread out over time.

We see some buyers of our EWG headers come back and say, 'I love the performance, but man is it loud!' I think some of these guys have not had previous experience with EWGs and didn't really understand how loud it could be. For those, this could be an option.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 03-13-2020, 08:04 AM   #35
scotte30m3
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 409636
Vehicle:
2015 WRX

Quote:
How about if it could be an upgrade path? As-in retrofittable to customers that already had our EWG headers? This way the cost of admission gets spread out over time.

We see some buyers of our EWG headers come back and say, 'I love the performance, but man is it loud!' I think some of these guys have not had previous experience with EWGs and didn't really understand how loud it could be. For those, this could be an option.

Thanks for the feedback!
I have your EWG setup and it is loud but worked with my tuner and we have the right spring setup so that itís only loud when youíre really on it... I would still like to go full recirc but not sure I would dump 3k on it... 1000, maybe. I think this boils down to each persons pocket book and the value they see in the product and itís function / performance. BTW I have your TMIC too so I see the value in your products!
scotte30m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 01:09 PM   #36
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte30m3 View Post
I have your EWG setup and it is loud but worked with my tuner and we have the right spring setup so that itís only loud when youíre really on it... I would still like to go full recirc but not sure I would dump 3k on it... 1000, maybe. I think this boils down to each persons pocket book and the value they see in the product and itís function / performance. BTW I have your TMIC too so I see the value in your products!
I've noticed some guys out there are running higher pressure springs to keep things quieter until higher boost levels. Our shop car with the Twin Scroll Fury Kit installed I ran the typical TS 30-40% of target boost springs and it would start to open ~7-8psi but not get loud until ~12 or so psi. Of course the kit made ~100whp more than a stage II car so at ~12psi the car still scoots quicker than a stock WRX. The point being that you can still drive 'normal' without attracting every lawman within a mile radius. Although, flogging it would need to be reserved for more ideal conditions, which is not always desirable and why I eventually went recirc.

The pricing is a tough one. The catted J/I-Pipe itself would be close to $1,000 and then you have the recirc fab work and parts on top of that. As an upgrade path I would expect pricing to be ~$1,600-$1,800. I am speculating a bit here as we've not built any tooling to get accurate labor hours.

Regardless, the feedback for the function is very good, but not for the price tag. Unless there is an influx of more positive interest (including the price) I see the product being shelved.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:55 PM   #37
scotte30m3
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 409636
Vehicle:
2015 WRX

Quote:
I've noticed some guys out there are running higher pressure springs to keep things quieter until higher boost levels. Our shop car with the Twin Scroll Fury Kit installed I ran the typical TS 30-40% of target boost springs and it would start to open ~7-8psi but not get loud until ~12 or so psi. Of course the kit made ~100whp more than a stage II car so at ~12psi the car still scoots quicker than a stock WRX. The point being that you can still drive 'normal' without attracting every lawman within a mile radius. Although, flogging it would need to be reserved for more ideal conditions, which is not always desirable and why I eventually went recirc.

The pricing is a tough one. The catted J/I-Pipe itself would be close to $1,000 and then you have the recirc fab work and parts on top of that. As an upgrade path I would expect pricing to be ~$1,600-$1,800. I am speculating a bit here as we've not built any tooling to get accurate labor hours.

Regardless, the feedback for the function is very good, but not for the price tag. Unless there is an influx of more positive interest (including the price) I see the product being shelved.
Totally understand from a business perspective, it has to be made with the right quality and it has to be profitable.

So basically a full kit would be, header, recirc and j-pipe? That may work, those that want it, could part out. Just like they would if they were changing their goals... I did when I changed from another vendors top mount to yours when I didnít like the way the BOV was mounted.
scotte30m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:46 PM   #38
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

If anyone is interested I have one setup left. Shoot me a PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:41 PM   #39
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

So it looks like EWG 321 Headers, Dual EWG recirc Dump Tubes, J-Pipe modified for recirc EWG, and spacers/hardware would be $1,999.