Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday October 1, 2022
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-23-2022, 11:56 AM   #76
jctek88
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 490123

I almost pulled the trigger on doing this head unit upgrade on my '17 Forester XT but swapping out the amp is holding me back. I can't find one less than $500. Everything else I was able to find for a reasonable price except that.
jctek88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2022, 10:36 PM   #77
Joff
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 505819
Vehicle:
MY17 Subaru XV
Crystal White Pearl

I did my MY19 Map (built august 2018) radio with ACP & AA with HK amp swap over this long weekend and have pretty much managed to do it but there are some issues.

I purchased the USB 2.1A module and cable from the original wreck and found that mine worked straight up but the USB port I THOUGHT the connecting cable went in (there are three USB ports in the back of the HU) and I swapped it to match those little lugs that differentiate each port. I now have it in the third one to the right looking at the rear of the HU, This may be assigned AUX. I had connectivity with a generic iPhone cable once I realised the little lugs vary on each of the three USB rear inputs. Id connect some extra 2.1A USB's to the inside of the Lift up arm rest too but not sure if this USB connecting cable is available in a longer length?

Steering wheel control are a disappointment as they re mapped with all different positions mostly seek left right dominate volume, and now volume is the Index and Back button to the right of the button array on my model XV. Protivakid let me know if you ever decide to re write the code for that Smart box you mentioned. Or I decide on a complete WRX/STI steering wheel that matches the head unit MY.

The same type of Steering wheel for the MY19 WRX STI

https://jspecauto.com/en/accessories...heel-for-sale/

The MY17 XV/Crosstrek Steering wheel

http://www.canadianautoreview.ca/rev...n-edition.html
Joff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 10:46 AM   #78
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 265148
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joff View Post
I did my MY19 Map (built august 2018) radio with ACP & AA with HK amp swap over this long weekend and have pretty much managed to do it but there are some issues.

I purchased the USB 2.1A module and cable from the original wreck and found that mine worked straight up but the USB port I THOUGHT the connecting cable went in (there are three USB ports in the back of the HU) and I swapped it to match those little lugs that differentiate each port. I now have it in the third one to the right looking at the rear of the HU, This may be assigned AUX. I had connectivity with a generic iPhone cable once I realised the little lugs vary on each of the three USB rear inputs. Id connect some extra 2.1A USB's to the inside of the Lift up arm rest too but not sure if this USB connecting cable is available in a longer length?

Steering wheel control are a disappointment as they re mapped with all different positions mostly seek left right dominate volume, and now volume is the Index and Back button to the right of the button array on my model XV. Protivakid let me know if you ever decide to re write the code for that Smart box you mentioned. Or I decide on a complete WRX/STI steering wheel that matches the head unit MY.

The same type of Steering wheel for the MY19 WRX STI

https://jspecauto.com/en/accessories...heel-for-sale/

The MY17 XV/Crosstrek Steering wheel

http://www.canadianautoreview.ca/rev...n-edition.html
The switches work be sending different resistance values that the radio interprets into commands. My idea was a middle-man box to listen for these values and send the appropriate new value to the radio. Not sure if I'll ever get time to do it but perhaps someday.

It looks like your 2017 crosstrek steering wheel is indeed different. A pic of my 2013 wheel can be seen here: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/crosst...strek2013.html

If you compare this to the WRX wheel the switch footprint is the same so the switches will swap between the two. Unfortunately, unless you can find switches from another model that fit and happen to map values correctly (would be a lot of trial and error unless the FSM lists values, I can check later) you may end up having to swap the whole steering wheel to a WRX wheel if you wanted the switches to behave. I just got used to what Vol +/- was and it hasn't been an issue.

I'm not sure what the other two usb looking jacks on the back of the radio do, I just plugged the one usb cable into the keyed radio port it fit in. Making an extension cable wouldn't be hard though, it's only 5 wires, just cut an existing one and solder/splice in some new longer wires.
protivakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 05:26 PM   #79
Joff
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
MY17 Subaru XV
Crystal White Pearl

Protivakid I see in your initial post that you rejigged the DAB+ (sirius XM) FAKRA connection directly into your HU (this is the same for me on my HU) but ask hopefully for clarification and is related to this ACP AA MY19 upgrade situation. My MY17 original set up never had DAB+ and the connection to the original HU is more or less a mute point the new MY19 Unit has the addition for Digital Radio over here in AU. I was looking on the WWW regards FAKRA connections and the Subaru connections. I ask this Question? the male FAKRA to Female FAKRA plugs seems a bit different for different Car Manufacturers?? I see the Subaru type are not the same as these type I have sourced. Anyone got some experience here? Im thinking one of these DAB+ Antennas and the joining shunt.But the male round design seems not a Subaru standard? I realize the images are a male gold Shunt and not the female version I would need to marry these two together. All I intend to do is snake the cable for the DAB+ up somewhere in the roof lining and call it a day after connecting with the correct FAKRA.

Last edited by Joff; 05-25-2022 at 06:52 AM.
Old 05-25-2022, 10:43 PM   #80
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
Protivakid I see in your initial post that you rejigged the DAB+ (sirius XM) FAKRA connection directly into your HU (this is the same for me on my HU) but ask hopefully for clarification and is related to this ACP AA MY19 upgrade situation. My MY17 original set up never had DAB+ and the connection to the original HU is more or less a mute point the new MY19 Unit has the addition for Digital Radio over here in AU. I was looking on the WWW regards FAKRA connections and the Subaru connections. I ask this Question? the male FAKRA to Female FAKRA plugs seems a bit different for different Car Manufacturers?? I see the Subaru type are not the same as these type I have sourced. Anyone got some experience here? Im thinking one of these DAB+ Antennas and the joining shunt.But the male round design seems not a Subaru standard? I realize the images are a male gold Shunt and not the female version I would need to marry these two together. All I intend to do is snake the cable for the DAB+ up somewhere in the roof lining and call it a day after connecting with the correct FAKRA.

If you refer to this post you'll see I added SiriusXM to my sister's base impreza that did not currently have an antenna by using an adapter cable. Does that answer your question?

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2944986
Old 05-28-2022, 06:35 PM   #81
Joff
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
MY17 Subaru XV
Crystal White Pearl

it does I have now ordered what I need. I decided that Id like DAB+ although Im sure I will hardly use it but thought "What the Hell?" Im moving on now to Wireless CP dongles
Old 05-31-2022, 09:41 PM   #82
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
it does I have now ordered what I need. I decided that Id like DAB+ although Im sure I will hardly use it but thought "What the Hell?" Im moving on now to Wireless CP dongles
Sirius XM gives out free 3 month trials to even used radios. Don't even need to supply real info, just the radio Id.

https://www.siriusxm.com/trial-eligibility
Old 06-01-2022, 08:49 AM   #83
ma21212
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 530230

Does the StarLink microphone that's in the dome console still work after this?
ma21212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 10:13 AM   #84
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma21212 View Post
Does the StarLink microphone that's in the dome console still work after this?
Mine did not come with Starlink but I can still use that microphone to make bluetooth calls.
Old 06-05-2022, 05:50 PM   #85
Joff
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
MY17 Subaru XV
Crystal White Pearl

I'm still very keen to source some type of black box that will marry the MY19+ Factory HU Steering wheel controls to my current XV Steering wheel. The resistance factor on these toggle style Controls are (now that i understand more on them) needs much more than a physical switch design.I realise there are units out there for those Aftermarket set ups, maybe a tech savvy individual has played with this idea? Does AAH do these, maybe they can do one for Factory installs?? or are they made elsewhere?

New WRX STI SW without an AB is going to be around the $400AU price point. AB module another $500AU although the AB module from original wheel will fit although the bottom edge at the base is longer and may need to custom up that plastic wheel garnish piece. The WRX STI wheels are very attractive and also have that flat bottom design the XV does not.
Old 06-06-2022, 04:38 PM   #86
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
I'm still very keen to source some type of black box that will marry the MY19+ Factory HU Steering wheel controls to my current XV Steering wheel. The resistance factor on these toggle style Controls are (now that i understand more on them) needs much more than a physical switch design.I realise there are units out there for those Aftermarket set ups, maybe a tech savvy individual has played with this idea? Does AAH do these, maybe they can do one for Factory installs?? or are they made elsewhere?

New WRX STI SW without an AB is going to be around the $400AU price point. AB module another $500AU although the AB module from original wheel will fit although the bottom edge at the base is longer and may need to custom up that plastic wheel garnish piece. The WRX STI wheels are very attractive and also have that flat bottom design the XV does not.
I played around with the AXXESS ASWC-1 but didn't have any luck. If only their software offered a way to input resistor values manually instead of pre-selecting configurations it would have worked. It can manually learn the input values, but has no way to specify manual output values.
Old 06-13-2022, 03:53 PM   #87
ISSAWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 466464
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited 6MT
LBP

I have a 2018 WRX Limited, non-HK, non-NAV radio and I just want the AA/ACP function while staying OEM. Since I'm not trying to add Nav or HK, it looks like from the OP, I would only need:

Subaru 86471VA620 (PHONE) 19-20 WRX Head Unit
2019 USB Jack 86257SJ131 2019-2020 WRX XV Impreza Outback Forester Legacy
Steering Wheel Controls 83154VA300
Wiring for the door switch (optional)

The only question I have is will the StarLink functionality still work properly? I do have the SOS button in mine.
ISSAWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 07:41 PM   #88
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISSAWRX View Post
I have a 2018 WRX Limited, non-HK, non-NAV radio and I just want the AA/ACP function while staying OEM. Since I'm not trying to add Nav or HK, it looks like from the OP, I would only need:

The only question I have is will the StarLink functionality still work properly? I do have the SOS button in mine.
The phone radios can be had pretty cheap on eBay if you are patient. I'm guessing StarLink would still work since that module is separate but if you try let us all know how it goes!
Old 06-15-2022, 02:14 PM   #89
S2000_Europe
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 297373
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2018 STI Type RA
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISSAWRX View Post

I have phone radio, from a Type RA, if you are interested.
S2000_Europe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 02:43 AM   #90
williambrantree
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 530494

I have a 2017 base STI with HK. Can someone please reconfirm on which parts I would need besides the USB 2.1 hub?
williambrantree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 07:05 AM   #91
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by williambrantree View Post
I have a 2017 base STI with HK. Can someone please reconfirm on which parts I would need besides the USB 2.1 hub?
Literally should be everything I noted except for the new backup cam.
Old 07-01-2022, 11:43 PM   #92
williambrantree
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 530494

Quote:
Originally Posted by protivakid View Post
Literally should be everything I noted except for the new backup cam.
There is mention of the following headunits so I just want to make sure I buying the right one:

Radio 86471VA610 / 86471VA710 / 86481VA730 (MAP) - 86471VA620 (PHONE) 19-20 WRX w/ Pigtails
Amplifier 86221va050 19-20 WRX w/ Pigtails
Wire 18Ga 20 Colors 1FT

Which would one would I need to purchase which is compatible with my MY17 HK system?
williambrantree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 07:38 AM   #93
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by williambrantree View Post
There is mention of the following headunits so I just want to make sure I buying the right one:

Radio 86471VA610 / 86471VA710 / 86481VA730 (MAP) - 86471VA620 (PHONE) 19-20 WRX w/ Pigtails
Amplifier 86221va050 19-20 WRX w/ Pigtails
Wire 18Ga 20 Colors 1FT

Which would one would I need to purchase which is compatible with my MY17 HK system?
If you have a HK MAP radio now in your 2017, you'll want a 2019+ MAP button radio as well. Keep in mind you'll also need a 2019+ amplifier
Old 07-10-2022, 09:12 AM   #94
ISSAWRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited 6MT
LBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2000_Europe View Post
I would take you up on this if I were gonna do it now, but this will be a later project for me. Just researching for now. I appreciate it!
Old 07-10-2022, 09:13 AM   #95
ISSAWRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited 6MT
LBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2000_Europe View Post
I would take you up on this if I were gonna do it now, but this will be a later project for me. Just researching for now. I appreciate it!
Old 08-09-2022, 08:52 AM   #96
Alexn103
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 530990

Thank you for sharing this information! I will be trying to do the swap myself.
Alexn103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 04:24 PM   #97
joegold
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 531331
Vehicle:
2015 STi
WR Blue

Will this work on my 2015 base still with the base sound system?
joegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 02:45 PM   #98
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegold View Post
Will this work on my 2015 base still with the base sound system?
The 2015 Base connections are very different but yes it's possible. You'd probably want to follow the instructions here where I swapped in a 2019 PHONE button radio to my sister's 13 base impreza: https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2944986

From there you would have to do more work if you wanted a MAP HK radio.