Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Tribeca Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-05-2018, 09:19 AM   #1
Unclebilly
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 489793
Vehicle:
2018 WRX

Default Tribeca Project

I have had my new WRX just over 2 months and bought a Tribeca to replace my wife’s aging Lexus LX450...

The Tribeca has a weird shifting issue which seems to be common. The problem came about after the serpentine belt broke so it was driven with low voltage.

I’m thinking the issue is likely the TCU needing a reflash but it could be the valve body or the torque converter. It has 112000 miles on it and no hitch so I doubt it is worn out.

From sitting a year, the brakes are rusty and there are some minor power steering leaks.

My plan is to replace the brakes and the power steering rack and then take it to get the transmission diagnosed.
Unclebilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2018, 11:32 PM   #2
Unclebilly
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX

So I followed my plan above. The tranny diagnosis came back perfect. The fluid analysis came back good and the tranny shop didn't even reccomend changing fluid.

The dealer did the reflash and updated the software to deal with the 2-3 and 3-2 shift and it drives beautifully. My wife loves it.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:43 PM   #3
Sub!eDr!ver
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 88924
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2014 Cadenza, Sedona
Past: Tribeca LGTx2 Justy

Glad to hear it. My '07 was a great car, for 150,000+ miles, then my wife crashed it. I almost bought another Tribeca, but ended up in a Kia Sedona instead.
Sub!eDr!ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:18 PM   #4
Unclebilly
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX

After just short of a month, it looks like the torque converter is suspect. It worked perfectly until Tuesday when the torque converter wouldn't unlock and the vehicle stalled and would stall everytime it was put into drive.

It decided to cooperate when I got there and I drove it home.

On the way to the dealer yesterday, it threw a P0741 code - torque converter control solenoid. The dealer confirmed today that the problem was the torque converter... I guess i'm doing a TC over Christmas...
Old 01-19-2019, 09:35 AM   #5
Unclebilly
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX

So I bought the 143 torque converter which is the updated one. I got a new one from Subaru off of eBay. I also was able to find a torque converter control solenoid for it (for the Nissan trans). It was $60 and I will keep it as a spare.

While I had the exhaust off, I decided to take advantage of the ***8216;improved' access and do the spark plugs. The rear drivers side plug required the expertise of my 8 year old son and his small hands to do.

Unfortunately I broke the electrical connector on the drivers exhaust vvt actuator while prying the engine over to get that last coil back in... a new one is on its way and then I can button this thing up, hopefully for good. It has spent more time on my hoist since we've owned it than it had on the ground... mostly waiting for parts.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:48 PM   #6
singincanary
Will mod for Guinness

Member#: 77921
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
'09 Ruby Red spec.B
'14 Tribeca, '08 OBXT

What year Tribeca is it? We had an '07 that we traded in with 240k miles and picked up a '13 with 8k miles (that now has 70k miles). Best car we've ever owned. Low maintenance, acceptable performance and comfort. We have been very happy with ours.
singincanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:12 AM   #7
Unclebilly
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX

I think this thing is trying to kill me...

I got the new torque converter all in and everything buttoned up. I took it for a 40 mile test drive and after 30 miles, it threw the same P0741 code as before.

I specifically took it to the dealer to have them determine Torque converter or Valve body... looks like it may need a valve body. Sure glad I went to the trouble to replace the torque converter for no reason.

That being said, after clearing the code, I drove another 80 miles before it threw the code again and hasn’t thrown it again since...

It’s maddening!
Old 01-23-2019, 12:13 AM   #8
Unclebilly
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX

It's an 08 with 114k miles.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:50 AM   #9
Unclebilly
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX

I got the new valve body and installed it yesterday.

It runs beautifully in the 50 or som miles I’ve put on it. It was pretty cold (-20C) so I’m not sure if it got hot enough in the 50 miles for a problem to crop up on not.

I’m hoping this is the last major repair I have to do on this thing.

I did manage to find a used complete (less torque converter) trans at a wrecker which I bought for $130. I plan to keep this in my back pocket just in case.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:29 PM   #10
9three
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 499446

hi !!!! so was it the valve body
9three is offline   Reply With Quote