Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday March 18, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-08-2017, 11:58 AM   #1
ScoobyFreak86
Scooby Guru

Member#: 338329
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

Default Scoobyfreak86 2017 Lapis Blue Pearl STI Journal

Hey everyone. Some of you may remember me from my previous Subaru (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2466554), but if not take a look at my previous journal if you so choose. After careful deliberation and a two years of weighing pro's and con's, I have decided to come back to the Subaru world. This time in the STI variant. I will go into detail of why I chose what I chose, the other cars I was considering, and my plans for the STI for the future. This is going to be long, so if you are looking to pass some time or enjoy reading then this is for you. Otherwise... cliff notes: got an STI, going to mod it, but stay practical, scroll down for pics.

Let's start off by going over what other cars I was considering. After selling the 13 WRX, I decided to take a step away from the car world a bit to refocus my priorities and regain some control of my hobby to really think about what I wanted to do. When the WRX sold, we had our daughter on the way in a few short months and I didn't want to be bothered with something I obsessed about maintaining, modding, and spent an overwhelming amount of time working on. I wanted something comfortable, practical, and most importantly safe. I just wanted something I could get in and go and not having to worry. This led me to a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude. Gave me all the creature comforts I could possibly want and just a really solid SUV that would serve my purpose perfectly at that point in my life.

After spending 33k miles in the Jeep, my car enthusiast mindset starting kicking in and really missed my connection to cars. Gears started turning and discussed some options with my wife and casually started searching for something new. Some cars that struck my interest and I was actively searching for were BMW E90 M3, Golf R mk7, Golf GTI mk7, 17 STI, 17 WRX, and the ford focus RS.

My car ownership duration has been pretty consistent with it being around 2-3 years. With this next car, I wanted to pick something that will last and I can enjoy for at least the next ~5 years. My wife and I are expecting our second girl in June and we just got settled into a new house this past November, so I had to be realistic in my decision. Had to set requirements of what I needed in a car verse what I dream of. I needed 4 doors, AWD, practical, cheap to maintain/mod, manual, fun, and safe.

- AWD was a requirement since I got rid of my SUV, I needed something that can handle any type of weather without having to think twice.

- Practicality is extremely important since this is an everyday car. It needs to go get groceries, haul the family around, get me to work, trips, eventually handle some track events, space for kid stuff and whatever else. I needed something that could handle it all.

- Maintenance/Mods had to be cost effective. I enjoy doing my own work to cars, so being able to handle the workload was important not to mention not wanting to spend $1000+ on JUST a muffler. Something simple that didn't need crazy inspections or services every XXXX miles. Simple. That is what I am after. I want to make the car my own without having to worry if I can pay the mortgage next month after buying some mods for the car.

- Manual was a must for me as I found out owning the Jeep how much I missed that connection to a car. Shifting really amplified my enjoyment in the ownership and increased the overall fun factor.

- Lastly and most important safety. Becoming a father has changed my perspective drastically on the world. Everything I see is now a threat to my daughters and I am doing my best to protect them (and my wife) from the horrible things out there. So if god forbid we ever got in an accident, I want us to walk away unscathed knowing the car we were in was something that saved us from anything worse.

Now let's get to the cars. I wanted to make sure I researched everything I had an interest in to make sure what I was going to decide on was the right choice.

- The e90 m3 has been on my radar ever since I sold my e46 m3 back in 2012, but seeing that it is going on 10 years old and my budget would allow for something with 60k+ miles, it started to lose it's appeal as I would have to settle on a color I wasn't crazy about, more miles than I would like, and something a bit more used than I envisioned. While I did come across some nice examples, it was never in my ideal color combo or specs. Combined with the M Tax of maintenance/mods really made me realize it wasn't the right time to own this car.

- The Ford Focus RS really caught my attention after seeing the numbers. I wasn't too crazy about the overall look as I was never a Focus guy. Although it really grew on me and decided it may be something I would be interested in. However, that ended quickly when I saw dealers marking them up to 10k over MSRP. Sorry, I scratched that off the list as I would never in my life pay 45-50k for a ford focus.

- Golf R and GTI were the really only 2 other cars that I really, really thought hard about. I absolutely love the updates in the mk7's and it really just is a solid car. The GTI didn't do too much for me due to the FWD. Call me a snob or dumb, but I am just not a big FWD person. The Golf R really appealed to me with the AWD, well thought out/designed interior, and overall package. It really is a magnificent car that I could easily see myself carting around in. However, it all came to a halt after hearing how long it took to get one, not to mention finding a dealer that was willing to work with me. Great cars, but the markup and the this is the price and that's it attitude turned me off as in the back of my mind I kept telling myself.. "it's a golf".

- The 17+ STI and WRX thought never left my mind. After researching more and more I began to really envision it as my next car. Checked every box that I had and having been a Subaru owner before, I knew what I was getting myself into. It was a comforting feeling in a way. Test drove both variants and while I enjoyed the WRX and the FA20, knowing I could drive off in another WRX and not an STI didn't sit right as I wanted to do this right from the start. I wanted the brakes, the big wing, the components, and yes even the ej motor.

After weighing the pros and cons to everything, I decided the STI was the best choice for me and gave me the gotta have it feeling more than anything else. It really was the perfect car for this time in my life. So, I started my hunt for my ideal STI nationwide and decided to go with a local dealer to me that I have been emailing constantly for the past year trying to strike a deal. Sure enough, they were able to get me everything I wanted and had my ideal spec'd STI on the lot. Did all the back and forth through email, so I basically walked in and out with the car in 2 hours.

Here is what I went with
2017 base STI in Lapis Blue Pearl
Options: Side moldings, homelink mirror, and all weather mats/cargo

I didn't care for the sunroof or the leather, so saved some money and went with a base. The limited wheels are indeed nice, but we all know they will be changed out down the road. The OEM wheels will become my winter set, so it was a win win in my book.

In terms of mods, take a look at my last WRX. You can see how I mod my cars as my goals are practicality, reliability, with an aggressive look. I like to build off of what is already there and accent the highlights of the car rather than making new ones. Nice fitting wheels, sitting right without being too harsh of a ride, sounding like a Subaru, but not house rattling loud. I have some nice plans, so if you are interested, more than welcome to follow along.

I will be moving quite a bit slower with the STI than I did with my WRX as I can appreciate the STI in stock form a bit more than my previous WRX. I am not in as of a rush to get it to the point where I want it. Rather take my time, get the parts I really want the first time around, and enjoy it instead of stressing about getting it to the next step.

I am truly excited to take you all on this journey with me even more excited to be part of the Subaru brand again. Looking forward to adding some mod entries in the near future!

I promise to get some proper pictures up shortly. For now, some quick iphone shots will suffice. PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!

As you can tell, the garage has since been cleaned out and organized to an extent (we just moved in the house November). But I am planning a pretty awesome garage overhaul, so I will be sure to share that journey with everyone on here as well. Nice flooring, lighting, cabinets, etc. It should be a pretty awesome place to work in. Very excited for it!

Current Mods:

Exterior
New Car Prep and Debadge
Gloss Black Side Badges, Black STi Trunk badge
Tail Light Tint
Bumper Plugs
V Limited eBay Front Lip
USDM Rear Splashguards
BaysonR CS Style front lip and side skirts
JDM Grille
Carbon Reproductions Carbon Fiber Mirror Covers
OLM Golden Convex Side Mirrors
STI Carbon Fiber Trunk Trim
Carbon Fiber License Plate Frame with STI Logo
Perrin Radiator Cover - Black
Perrin Engine Cover - Black
Perrin Boost Solonoid Cover - White
Perrin Battery Tie Down - Black - White
Perrin Brake Reservoir Sock- Black
Perrin Oil Cap - Black
Intertek Fabrication Intercooler Guard - Black/White
OLM Carbon Fiber Ruf Version 1 Roof Spoler
OLM Carbon Fiber Exhaust Finishers
Subispeed Carbon Fiber Pro Gurney Flap
Chasing J's Titanium Cap Set
Renegade Motorsports Engine Bay Cap Set - White
Ikon Motorsports Rear Diffuser
Bayson R Rear Spats
OLM Carbon Fiber Grille Trim
OLM Anodized Gas Cap Cover
OLM Carbon Fiber Fender Shrouds
Cobb Redline Carbon Fiber Alternator Belt Cover
Subispeed JDM OLM Grille
Subispeed OLM Carbon Grille Trim
GCS Gloss Black STI Grille Badge
Gloss Black trunk STI badge
2020 Front Bumper Conversion
Avery Dension Gloss Black Roof/Antenna Wrap
Revel GT Carbon Fiber Hood Scoop
Revel GT Carbon Fiber Fuse Box Cover
Carbon Fiber Front Grille
Chargespeed Front Grille Emblem Mount
VIS Racing V2 Carbon Fiber Hood
Carbon Fiber CS Style Front lip, side skirts, rear spats
Carbon Creations Rear Diffuser
LwrclssGarage Front Brace Bar
Titanium Works Engine Bay Hardware Kit
APR Carbon Fiber License Plate Backing
TBW Performance Aluminum Undertray - Black
Carbon Fiber Hood Scoop
Password JDM Carbon Power Steering Cover
Password JDM Carbon Fiber Battery Cover
OLM Turn Signal Light Tunnel
Gloss Black Lower Mirror Trim
STI Wing Decals
Cobb Carbon Fiber Redline Fuse Box Cover
Verus Engineering Non Aggressive Rear Diffuser
Verus Engineering Rear LCA Covers
JDM Power Folding Mirrors

Interior
AC Fan Blower Panel
Subispeed PK Style Steering Wheel
Kicker Tweeter and Door Speakers
Kick Subwoofer
Perrin Trunk Handle
Gloss Black STI Steering Wheel Trim
Dasaita DSP
Idoing Android Headunit
Carbon Fiber E-Brake Handle
GCS Black E-Brake Button
Overland Designs Shift and e-Brake boot
OLM Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel Trim
2018+ MFD Screen
Overland Designs Alcantara Cluster Trim and MFD Hood
WC Lathworks Piston Helio Shift Knobs
Cobb Delrin Shift Knob - Black
JDM Gloss Black Vent Trim
Overland Designs Alcantara MFD panel
Overland Designs Alcantara Shifter trim and bezel
Overland Designs Alcantara Center Console
Overland Designs Alcantara Arm Rest
Overland Designs Alcantara iDoing Headunit Trim
Raceseng Stratose Alcantara Shift Knob
Mach V Motorsports Vent AP Mount
Overland Designs Alcantara A Pillars
Subispeed Gauge Cubby Pod
Revel VLS Wideband Gauge
Revel VLS Oil Pressure Gauge
JDM Gloss Black Vents
SRP Racing Pedals - Black
JDM Muscle Carbon Fiber Idoing Headunit Trim
Verus Engineering Throttle Spacer
OLM Color Matched Rear Seat Pulls

Performance
Delta Motor Works Fast Track Axleback 1,2,3
Fortune Auto 500 Gen 5 Coilovers with 7k Swift Springs and radial bearing upgrade
Kartboy SSK and Perrin Reverse Lockout
Cobb Accessport
Delta Motorworks Non Res Midpipe
MAPerformance Stage 1 Tune
MAPerformance Stage 1+ Tune
MAPerformance Intake "Raw"
Cobb SF Intake w/ Airbox
Brentuning Stage 1+ SF (+burble) 93 Map
Perrin 25MM Rear Sway Bar
Perrin Front and Rear Poly Endlinks
Perrin Front Strut Bar - White
Turbosmart Kompact BPV
Cobb Redline Carbon Fiber Intake
DBA T3 4000 Slotted Rotors
Hawk HPS 5.0 Pads
ATE 200 Brake Fluid
Perrin Pitch Stop - Red
Perrin Pitch Mount
Perrin Stainless Steel Clutch Line
IAG V3 Street AOS - Black
Getadomtune Cyl 4 Cooling Mod
Grimmspeed Top Mount Intercooler w/ Silicone Hose Kit - Black
Rotora 6/4 Pot White Big Brake Kit
Compressive Tuning Radiator Shroud - Black
Verus Engineering Front Street Splitter
Grimmspeed Catted Downpipe
Grimmspeed Turbo Heat Shield with Gold Heat Tape
Killer B EL Holy Headers with Swaintech
AEM 340 Fuel Pump
Cobb Fuel Pressure Regulator
Cobb Fuel Rails
Cobb Fuel Lines
Cobb 1050x Injectors
R/T Tuning Stage 3+ Custom Pro Tune (352tq/340hp)
Cobb Titanium Catback
Cobb LF BPV
AWE Track Catback w/ Black tips
Kartboy Shifter Bushings
Grimmspeed TMIC Silicone Hose Kit
RK Titanium Radiator Hose - Standard Gradient
Koyo Aluminum Radiator
Killer B Oil Pan, Oil Pick Up Tube, Baffle
Cobb Coolant Overflow Tank
Tomei Titanium Catback Exhaust
PLM Turbo Uppipe (w/ grimmspeed gaskets)
TiAL 44MM Wastegate w/ Titanium Works Hardware
Cobb Wastegate Bracket
Blouch 1.5 XTR Turbo
Cobb Turbo Inlet
Custom RT Tuning Pro Tune (413hp/358tq, 18PSI)
Verus Engineering Cam Solenoid Heat Shield
Fortune Auto Gen 8 Coilovers w/ 8K Hyperco Springs
Perrin Transmission Mount
Beatrush Diff Bushings
SMY 26mm Front Sway Bar

Lighting
LED License Plate Lights
Tail As Turn Module
LED Reverse Bulbs and Front Turn Signals
SubieLED DRL and Fogs
Diode Dynamics Smart Tap Module
Morimoto XB LED Fog Lights
Apollo Non Sequential LED Headlights
OLM Interior LED
F1 LED 3rd Brake Light
OLM LED Black/Clear Turn Signals
Sequential Mirror Turn Signals
Subispeed S4 DRL Fog Bezels
OEM+ Cherry Red tail lights
Diode Dynamics C lights Gloss Black Reflectors
Diode Dynamic SS3 Sport Yellow Fog Lights
Subispeed TR Tail Lights
Subispeed JDM DRL/Turn Signal Fog Bezels
2020 STI Headlight Conversion customized by Lightwerkz
Subispeed V2 Taillights

Wheels
Gramlight 57DR and Muteki SR35 lugs
Continental DWS06 265/35/18
Rays Dura Lugs and Locks - Black
Rays GramLights 57 black center caps
Enkei RS055RR 18x9.5 +35
Michelin A/S 3's 265/35
Wedssport TC105x 18x10 +35
Michelin PS4s 265/35/18
Project Kicks Kyokugen Lugs - Gold/Black
Volk Racing CE28CR 18x9.5 +35 Diamond Dark Gunmetal
Michelin Sport Cup 2 265/35/18
Project Kics Gold Hub Rings
Project Kicks Leggdura Racing Shell Lugs - Black

Maintenance:
1000 Mile Break in Oil Change
Oil Change - 4,923
Driver front axle replaced (boot had small tear) - 6,500
Oil Change - 8,805
Oil Change - 13,193
Oil Change - 17,119
Intake Filter - 17,443
Cabin Filter - 17,507
Oil Change - 20,587
Oil Change - 23,756
Oil Change: 26,930
Oil Change: 29,711
Cabin Filter - 31,034
Rotors/Pads - 32,244
Spark Plugs - 32,534
Oil Change - 32,814
Rear Diff Flush: 32,891
Transmission Flush - 32,891
Oil Change (5w40) 34,107
Oil Change (5w40) 36,723

Current Look:

Dyno:

Last edited by ScoobyFreak86; 09-16-2022 at 12:18 PM.
ScoobyFreak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2017, 12:07 PM   #2
SJSC1608NJ
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 388567
Vehicle:
2014 WRX Hatch
ISM

Welcome back to the club!!! Love it!Good luck with it! Been thinking of trading in my 14 hatch for a new sti. I also have the same jogging stroller.
SJSC1608NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:09 PM   #3
ScoobyFreak86
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSC1608NJ View Post
Welcome back to the club!!! Love it!Good luck with it! Been thinking of trading in my 14 hatch for a new sti. I also have the same jogging stroller.
Thanks bud. Glad to be back. I don't know what it is with Subaru, but it just kept pulling be back in. The 15+ WRX/STI is such a massive jump from the GR's. It feels so much more put together. Actually feels like the money you are spending on it. I loved my hatch, but the STI quality and materials used is a big, big step up.

Haha nice! The bob is pretty awesome. Got it for my wife a year ago and haven't looked back. It's a great stroller! We actually plan on getting a double bob once our other daughter is bigger.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:00 PM   #4
SJSC1608NJ
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 388567
Vehicle:
2014 WRX Hatch
ISM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyFreak86 View Post
Thanks bud. Glad to be back. I don't know what it is with Subaru, but it just kept pulling be back in. The 15+ WRX/STI is such a massive jump from the GR's. It feels so much more put together. Actually feels like the money you are spending on it. I loved my hatch, but the STI quality and materials used is a big, big step up.

Haha nice! The bob is pretty awesome. Got it for my wife a year ago and haven't looked back. It's a great stroller! We actually plan on getting a double bob once our other daughter is bigger.

You are welcome!! My buddy just picked up a 15 wrx limited. I just drove it last weekend, and wow. I couldnt agree more on how it felt. So much more refined, love how the steering is tighter, and overall how well it is put together. Only thing keeping me back from getting one right now is I tend to go hiking alot with both my kids, wife, and dog. She is able to just lay in the back of the hatch, if i get a sedan i dont think that would work out anymore. So im kinda bummed. I guess we could take my wifes Forester but what fun is that. hahah

lol, yeah that is a nice stroller, i use it from time to time when i dont feel like pushing around a little tykes car.
SJSC1608NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:08 PM   #5
kaeknows
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 357191
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
ISM

Glad to see you back, can't wait to see what you have planned for this one. Lapis blue pearl was my first choice, but no dealer had it when I was shopping, car would look great with og bronze te37s. I was thinking of trading in my 16 wrx for a lpb 18 sti, but I might just wait for the next gen.
kaeknows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:13 PM   #6
ScoobyFreak86
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaeknows View Post
Glad to see you back, can't wait to see what you have planned for this one. Lapis blue pearl was my first choice, but no dealer had it when I was shopping, car would look great with og bronze te37s. I was thinking of trading in my 16 wrx for a lpb 18 sti, but I might just wait for the next gen.
Lapis was my first choice. It looks phenomenal in the sun and when it's clean. reminds me a lot of Interlagos blue on m3's. Very deep blue with purple undertones. It's really, really nice. White was my second choice.

We shall see. I have a few wheels planned for this car, so it should really transform the car.

I debated briefly waiting for the 18 STI, but there wasn't anything that they announced that really jumped out at me. I dislike the updated front bumper (I like fog lights), the 19's wheels are too much for this car (more expensive tires and rougher ride), and the bright brake calipers are too flashy for me. I do like the interior updates though, but it wasn't enough for me to wait for it. I figured I would hop in a 17 for now and by the time the new motor is in the STI and I wait a year after it's in production, it should put me right at the 4 year mark. Good timing to upgrade
Old 03-08-2017, 01:20 PM   #7
kaeknows
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
ISM

i agree, the blue has a little interlagos, i got the ism cause it reminded me so much of the ssii for e9x m3 and maybe im biased towards te37s since i check m3forum's volk club thread daily lol.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:22 PM   #8
ScoobyFreak86
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

Quote:
i agree, the blue has a little interlagos, i got the ism cause it reminded me so much of the ssii for e9x m3 and maybe im biased towards te37s since i check m3forum's volk club thread daily lol.
ISM is nice. SSII has a bit more blue undertone in it. It almost looks baby blue in some light. I think ISM looks nicer than SSII on the m3.

haha te37's are a classic wheel. They don't get much better than that. I don't know what it is though, but personally, I don't think the te37's fit the STI that well. I think the ze40's on the other hand fit the car much, much better!
Old 03-08-2017, 02:13 PM   #9
kaeknows
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
ISM

yeah the ssii has more blue highlights, the ism has more of a silver flake. The te37s are nice, i was ready to pull the trigger on a set, but like you said the ze40s looked so much better, it just flows with the va body lines. your old setup with the tc105n was nice, that was my 2nd option after the ze40s, I cant complain though i think im the first one with an ISM and matte blue ze40s combo
Old 03-08-2017, 02:25 PM   #10
96accord
Scooby Guru

Member#: 145105
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2015 Honda Accord

Welcome Back. Congrats on the STi and 2nd kid
96accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:49 PM   #11
SycsFinest
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 411320
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited
Galaxy Blue

Love the color! Congrats.
SycsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:50 PM   #12
ScoobyFreak86
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

Quote:
yeah the ssii has more blue highlights, the ism has more of a silver flake. The te37s are nice, i was ready to pull the trigger on a set, but like you said the ze40s looked so much better, it just flows with the va body lines. your old setup with the tc105n was nice, that was my 2nd option after the ze40s, I cant complain though i think im the first one with an ISM and matte blue ze40s combo
Yeah the tc105n's were nice. I liked them a lot and wished I held onto them a bit longer.

Hoping to get something just as nice, if not nicer in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96accord View Post
Welcome Back. Congrats on the STi and 2nd kid
Thank you! Crazy how time flies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SycsFinest View Post
Love the color! Congrats.
I appreciate it!
Old 03-08-2017, 03:07 PM   #13
theEZV
Scooby Specialist

Member#: 324205
Vehicle:
F30 335i; 2016
Crosstrek; 2013 WRX(sold)

I'm so jealous.... I've been trying to get rid of my F30 335i to get into an Sti but I can't seem to get rid of that thing without loosing my a$$. Lapsis Blue would be my #1 choice as well.
theEZV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:08 PM   #14
ScoobyFreak86
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEZV View Post
I'm so jealous.... I've been trying to get rid of my F30 335i to get into an Sti but I can't seem to get rid of that thing without loosing my a$$. Lapsis Blue would be my #1 choice as well.
Funny how things turn out haha. Everyone seems to be coming back! OG's UNITE!
Old 03-08-2017, 06:58 PM   #15
milab21
Scooby Specialist

Member#: 157833
Vehicle:
2017 WRB STI
2007 WRB STI-sold

Welcome back and congrats on the new STI, looks great!
milab21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:00 PM   #16
FL4TFTW
Scooby Specialist

Member#: 256953
Vehicle:
2014 Built DGM BRZ
2016 Fiesta ST WP Tricoat

Woohoo!

Oh yeah I sold my hatch a few weeks ago and bought a Fiesta ST. Such a great car for the money.

Last edited by FL4TFTW; 03-09-2017 at 01:47 AM.
FL4TFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:01 PM   #17
KiloEcho31
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 464222
Chapter/Region: HIIC
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
WRB

Welcome back, looks awesome! I just went through the same process (like 2 weeks ago) getting rid of my Optima SXL. Amazing car but was just missing that feeling that only wrx/sti owners get. I also looked hard at the GTI/Golf R's but my wife knew where I would end up eventually.

I'm excited to see your progress.
KiloEcho31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:42 AM   #18
icedcoco
Scooby Specialist

Member#: 259021
Vehicle:
2014 WRX Premium
SWP

First and foremost, congrats to you and your wife on baby girl #2. Welcome to the dad of multiple daughters club! Is big sis getting excited or anxious yet?

Two, I said it already, but thumbs up on the new purchase. It's great to see you get back to the Subaru family, although it probably feels like you never left. I'm excited for what you have in store, considering I STILL refer to your hatch journal from time to time.
icedcoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:44 AM   #19
ScoobyFreak86
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by milab21 View Post
Welcome back and congrats on the new STI, looks great!
Thank you! Good to be back. I missed posting on here haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL4TFTW View Post
Woohoo!

Oh yeah I sold my hatch a few weeks ago and bought a Fiesta ST. Such a great car for the money.
Nice! The ST is a great bang for your buck. No doubt about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloEcho31 View Post
Welcome back, looks awesome! I just went through the same process (like 2 weeks ago) getting rid of my Optima SXL. Amazing car but was just missing that feeling that only wrx/sti owners get. I also looked hard at the GTI/Golf R's but my wife knew where I would end up eventually.

I'm excited to see your progress.
It's nice to hear people that were in my situation looking at the same cars. I really wanted to love the Golf R. The interiors are top notch and doesn't cost much to make that thing ungodly quick. It's just something about it that didn't quite do it for me. I don't know if it was the no negotiation of price or how soft the exterior is, I just couldn't bite the bullet on one.

Ultimately, I still would like to be in an f80 m3, but with a 2nd kid on the way and so many other priorities ahead of it, I couldn't do it. It would have been too much for right now and I honestly think the STI was the best choice for me at this time. Hard to argue what it offers out of the box for the price.

Last edited by ScoobyFreak86; 03-09-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:49 AM   #20
ScoobyFreak86
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedcoco View Post
First and foremost, congrats to you and your wife on baby girl #2. Welcome to the dad of multiple daughters club! Is big sis getting excited or anxious yet?

Two, I said it already, but thumbs up on the new purchase. It's great to see you get back to the Subaru family, although it probably feels like you never left. I'm excited for what you have in store, considering I STILL refer to your hatch journal from time to time.
Thanks man! Really exciting stuff to come. We are looking forward to our newest addition to our family. Indy (my dog) and I are officially outnumbered in the house haha. Our first daughter is 1.5 right now (will be 2 in June), so she hasn't quite understood what is about to go down haha. She's starting to understand that there's a "baby in mommy's tummy", but I think she's in for an awakening when she does come haha.

It really feels good to be back. Granted it was only 2 years, it was a long, lonnnggg 2 years for me out of the car game. I will admit it was nice to not have to stress about mods and all that, but I ultimately missed it like you wouldn't believe. Finally feel complete again. Glad to hear you are still using my past journal! Makes me happy all the time and effort I put into that one that it still is getting used for its soul purpose. I hope to do something similar with this one. However, a tad slower than last time haha. As I said, the STI is more ready out of the box than the WRX was/is IMHO. I feel less inclined to do as much than I did with the WRX. Don't get me wrong, plenty of things to improve on though and my gears are already turning. It should be a fun journey!
Old 03-09-2017, 01:09 PM   #21
honestabe
Scooby Specialist

Member#: 261730
Vehicle:
17' GTI

Good to see you back dude!

I've sold mine as well and can totally relate to wanting to get back into one. Actually, my short list for my next DD (in a couple years) is almost exactly like your list. The want for a Golf R is real lol. Maybe by then the STI will have a new motor, rumors of a hybrid setup..

Looking forward to your journal about the new STI, especially how you think it compares to your old hatch. Great choice and I'm sure you'll do it right. Cheers!
honestabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:15 PM   #22
ScoobyFreak86
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by honestabe View Post
Good to see you back dude!

I've sold mine as well and can totally relate to wanting to get back into one. Actually, my short list for my next DD (in a couple years) is almost exactly like your list. The want for a Golf R is real lol. Maybe by then the STI will have a new motor, rumors of a hybrid setup..

Looking forward to your journal about the new STI, especially how you think it compares to your old hatch. Great choice and I'm sure you'll do it right. Cheers!
Thanks Abe. The Golf R is no joke. Pretty awesome little cars. Just had a really hard time wheeling and dealing on them. Didn't want to budge off the 40k msrp. Found a few down in VA that were selling for 36k, but the numbers just weren't right with trading my Jeep in.

New STI motor should be in by 2020. Then wait a year for all the kinks to be worked out and 2021 should be a solid year for the STI. But knowing I was struggling to get through 2 years out of a fun car, there was no way I could wait another 4 for the new motor haha. Had to get myself back into something.

I appreciate that. I will be sure to do a comprehensive review of my thoughts between the 13 WRX hatch and the 17 STI. I only have roughly 200 miles on the STI now, so I can't say too much. Although, it's night and day difference from my initial reaction. Quality is way up from the GR. Feels WAY more put together. I can't only imagine how this thing is going to look and feel when I get a chance to really dive into it.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:25 PM   #23
ScoobyFreak86
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

Some quick phone pictures from this afternoon. Loving this color more and more each day.
Hoping to be able to get a chance to clean the car up and get the real camera out soon!

Last edited by ScoobyFreak86; 11-10-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:49 PM   #24
Kokin
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 324755
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2014 WRX Hatchback
WRB

Welcome back! Congrats on your girls and new house. Loved your WRX log since it was so well documented and tempts me to do similar mods to my almost-stock hatch.

I'm hoping Subaru brings back the hatch body for the 2020+ WRX/STIs. I would love to get updated everything since my '14 WRX feels like an old car.
Kokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:28 AM   #25
ScoobyFreak86
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokin View Post
Welcome back! Congrats on your girls and new house. Loved your WRX log since it was so well documented and tempts me to do similar mods to my almost-stock hatch.

I'm hoping Subaru brings back the hatch body for the 2020+ WRX/STIs. I would love to get updated everything since my '14 WRX feels like an old car.
Thank you, Sir! Much appreciated. If you ever have any questions on the hatch, let me know. It's still fairly fresh in my mind.

I am fairly certain they will bring back the hatch. It was an extremely popular model and the new impreza is showing some signs that it will make a return.