Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-05-2017, 10:04 PM   #1
Rausstek
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 392603
Post My quest to make Starlink or any OEM sound better, and I found something!

At first I went with the kicker doors speakers from Subaru and they sounded worst than stock because the Starlink 6.2 wasn't powerful enough to drive them.

Secondo : After my less than stellar Android Head Unit replacement from china, I decided to go back to stock Starlink setup. The Android headunit sounded way better than OEM but was buggy and FM/AM radio quit working after 4 months. So back to Starlink... it's sounds empty, muffled... sure the interface is slow but it works.

So...

I was looking for the best upgrade possible with the stock radio. I know that many of you went the Alpine KTP-445u but it basically make the poor sounding Starlink louder. I wanted more upper bass but no sub. So basically I went searching for an amp with a DSP. It is are rare thing and expensive. But I found something after few months searching!

Axton is making the A430DSP, it's a small amp with a DSP. 200-230$ shipped. Same install like the Alpine KT-445 setup... so why not? I pulled the trigger and bought it on ebay. It's only for OEM integration.

It's super small (like a pack of cigarettes), controlled by Bluetooth with Android.

Specs :

- Power: 4x54. Watts max 4x26 watts RMS
- Built-in EQ via Android app only.
- Speaker level input only(power on speaker)
- Frequency range: 20 - 20,000 Hz
- Distortion at 1,000 Hz <0.0001%
- Operating voltage: 9 - 15Volt
- Dynamic range: 95dB plus
- Efficiency: 95%
- Max. Power Consumption: 15 amps
- Size: 98x64 x25mm

What you need to buy :

- Metra 71-1761
- Metra 70-1761

This setup is for keeping the OEM radio and doesn't provide rca outputs or subwoofer output.

If you want install or wiring instructions I can put it in the thread but I feel lazy for now.

Install went easy, and I basically followed the guides for the KTP-445U... search post.

Review of the unit :

At first I was skeptical, never known Axton... what is this... no review information only in german. First you need to put the radio to flat EQ. Turn off : virtual bass, sound restoration and volume smoother. Ok now you have a kinda flat audio output going to the amp+dsp. Don't do the same mistake I did, I accidentally put the DSP switch off when installing, so all effects or EQ settings won't work. So turn on the switch DSP and the radio, wait few seconds and pair your Android phone via Bluetooth to the A430DSP. Go download the app on the Google Play store. Open the app, press the connect icon in the app and voila! EQ settings + DSP settings! After few settings change, the sound of the Starlink is better than my previous Android headunit. This is what it should sound from the factory. There is very few instructions, reviews are rare. I opened up the unit to look inside and it's really small and made to cost the less as possible. But I am very happy of the result but I wish that I went that route at first. Finally, even if I change my WRX, I can install this amp on my next car.

You can tweak a little more sound with the Starlink sound settings on top but your mileage may vary.

My 2 cents about the ebay seller : He is the only seller I found that ship to Canada. No option of shipping... only free shipping. He provided me a tracking number, but I needed to ask him. Estimates where like 1 month shipping... I received it in 6 days. I paid 310$ CAD all included. Add 30$ for metra wiring kit and 1.5 hours to install + solder wiring.

Last edited by Rausstek; 04-06-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Rausstek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2017, 11:27 PM   #2
Infinite0180
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 410716
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
CBS

Did you end up keeping the kickers? I was going to grab a alpine power pack then possibly do the kickers...
Infinite0180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:08 AM   #3
Rausstek
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite0180 View Post
Did you end up keeping the kickers? I was going to grab a alpine power pack then possibly do the kickers...
If you have the power to drive them... yes.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:02 AM   #4
shake-rattle-n-roll
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 448186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rausstek View Post
Axton is making the A430DSP, it's a small amp with a DSP. 200-230$ shipped. Same install like the Alpine KT-445 setup... so why not? I pulled the trigger and bought it on ebay. It's only for OEM integration.

It's super small (like a pack of cigarettes), controlled by Bluetooth with Android.

Specs :

- Power: 4x54. Watts max 4x26 watts RMS
- Built-in EQ via Android app only.
- Speaker level input only(power on speaker)
- Frequency range: 20 - 20,000 Hz
- Distortion at 1,000 Hz <0.0001%
- Operating voltage: 9 - 15Volt
- Dynamic range: 95dB plus
- Efficiency: 95%
- Max. Power Consumption: 15 amps
- Size: 98x64 x25mm

What you need to buy :

- Metra 71-1761
- Metra 70-1761

This setup is for keeping the OEM radio and doesn't provide rca outputs or subwoofer output.

If you want install or wiring instructions I can put it in the thread but I feel lazy for now.

Install went easy, and I basically followed the guides for the KTP-445U... search post.

Review of the unit :

At first I was skeptical, never known Axton... what is this... no review information only in german. First you need to put the radio to flat EQ. Turn off : virtual bass, sound restoration and volume smoother. Ok now you have a kinda flat audio output going to the amp+dsp. Don't do the same mistake I did, I accidentally put the DSP switch off when installing, so all effects or EQ settings won't work. So turn on the switch DSP and the radio, wait few seconds and pair your Android phone via Bluetooth to the A430DSP. Go download the app on the Google Play store. Open the app, press the connect icon in the app and voila! EQ settings + DSP settings! After few settings change, the sound of the Starlink is better than my previous Android headunit. This is what it should sound from the factory. There is very few instructions, reviews are rare. I opened up the unit to look inside and it's really small and made to cost the less as possible. But I am very happy of the result but I wish that I went that route at first. Finally, even if I change my WRX, I can install this amp on my next car.
Sounds like you have the have the 6.2" headunit unit thats gets loud but very distorted when you turn up the volume about half way. For those of us that have upgraded to the 7" starlink unit our volume is very low but no distoration all the way to max, is the A430DSP gunna be powerful enough for the oem kicker upgraded speakers or should we look into something bigger like A480DSP.

-Music Power Output: 150 W x 4 (110 W x 4*)
-RMS Power Output: 76 W x 4 (56 W x 4*)
-Frequency response: 20 Hz ~ 20 KHz
-Audio sampling frequency: 48 KHz
-Distortion: 1 KHz < 0.001%
-Supply voltage range: 9 V – 15 V
-Signal to noise ratio: > 120 dB
-Standby current: > 100 dB
-Standby current: < 0.4 mA
-Maximum operating current: 20 A
-Dimensions (L x W x H): 182 x 132 x 52 mm

Also could the a480dsp be powered from the radio like the Alpine KT-445u setup or would it have to be run from the battery?
shake-rattle-n-roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:22 PM   #5
Rausstek
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shake-rattle-n-roll View Post
Sounds like you have the have the 6.2" headunit unit thats gets loud but very distorted when you turn up the volume about half way. For those of us that have upgraded to the 7" starlink unit our volume is very low but no distoration all the way to max, is the A430DSP gunna be powerful enough for the oem kicker upgraded speakers or should we look into something bigger like A480DSP.

-Music Power Output: 150 W x 4 (110 W x 4*)
-RMS Power Output:76 W x 4 (56 W x 4*)
-Frequency response:20 Hz ~ 20 KHz
-Audio sampling frequency:48 KHz
-Distortion:1 KHz < 0.001%
-Supply voltage range:9 V – 15 V
-Signal to noise ratio:> 120 dB
-Standby current:> 100 dB
-Standby current:< 0.4 mA
-Maximum operating current:20 A
-Dimensions (L x W x H):182 x 132 x 52 mm

Also could the a480dsp be powered from the radio like the Alpine KT-445u setup or would it have to be run from the battery?
The 480 is a full deck amp needs to be powered by battery. The 430 is an oem integration and works perfectly with kicker upgrade.

To return to 6.2 unit. Yes sound get distorted but it's because of the volume smoother setting, turn it off. By the way this is the functionality that is the culprid when sirius xm volume goes up down and etc... Sure I envy people with the 7.0 but Ive putted enough money on that car.

Last edited by Rausstek; 04-06-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:37 PM   #6
Rausstek
Scooby Newbie

Oh by the way I'll update my post with settings.

Last edited by Rausstek; 04-06-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:12 PM   #7
shake-rattle-n-roll
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
The 480 is a full deck amp needs to be powered by battery. The 430 is an oem integration and works perfectly with kicker upgrade.

To return to 6.2 unit. Yes sound get distorted but it's because of the volume smoother setting, turn it off. By the way this is the functionality that is the culprid when sirius xm volume goes up down and etc... Sure I envy people with the 7.0 but Ive putted enough money on that car.
Even with all the settings turned off smoother, virtual bass, the 6.2 unit sounded distorted around 29-30 volumeand higher no matter what mode you where using to play music, bluetooth, cd, radio. Sounded like it was amped internally because the volume at 20 is like a 40 on the 7" unit.

Was thinking the kickers speakers upgrade could use more power via the A480DSP since they're Rated Input 65 Watts RMS, Max Input 195 Watts RMS, but im trying avoid wiring up to the battery if i dont need too.

Maybe you can post a before and after sound test. Since there arent any reviews
Old 04-06-2017, 05:26 PM   #8
Rausstek
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Even with all the settings turned off smoother, virtual bass, the 6.2 unit sounded distorted around 29-30 volumeand higher no matter what mode you where using to play music, bluetooth, cd, radio. Sounded like it was amped internally because the volume at 20 is like a 40 on the 7" unit.

Was thinking the kickers speakers upgrade could use more power via the A480DSP since they're Rated Input 65 Watts RMS, Max Input 195 Watts RMS, but im trying avoid wiring up to the battery if i dont need too.

Maybe you can post a before and after sound test. Since there arent any reviews
Sure do! But videos are clearly not the best for sound compare... but worth the try.

I NEVER listen to my radio pass 18 and most of the time at 10-12 ish. Seriously, it's damaging ears and annoying for other people Yes the Starlink 6.2 is really ****ty sounding and apply some dynamic eq more you drive the volume up... it just flatten and more. I saw that logic in many VW radios.

Don't forget that small devices (amps like kt-445 and others) can connect directly to the radio battery source because they are low power consumption. Most of the time they are powering on by speaker input, if you turn off the radio they will most likely turn off too.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:49 PM   #9
BHOD
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 463264
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2018 WRX sport, 6MT
crystal BLACK silica

Quote:
Oh by the way I'll update my post with settings.
Hi Rausstek,

Would you agree if I post a link to this thread in mine?
(Starlink 6.2 Clarion HU; Improving SQ with it... your path? Your experience? https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2828726 )
BHOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:22 PM   #10
Rausstek
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHOD View Post
Hi Rausstek,

Would you agree if I post a link to this thread in mine?
(Starlink 6.2 Clarion HU; Improving SQ with it... your path? Your experience? https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2828726 )
No problem!

Last edited by Rausstek; 04-06-2017 at 11:45 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:48 PM   #11
BHOD
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX sport, 6MT
crystal BLACK silica

Quote:
No problem!
Thanks!
Done
Old 04-08-2017, 12:40 AM   #12
BHOD
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX sport, 6MT
crystal BLACK silica

Here's a video where we can see the A430dsp and the Android app at the end.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:15 AM   #13
NotTodayEvo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 310676

Any idea if the will make an IOS version or is there one out there?
NotTodayEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:22 PM   #14
BHOD
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX sport, 6MT
crystal BLACK silica

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTodayEvo View Post
Any idea if the will make an IOS version or is there one out there?
If nobody give an answer, I would email the company directly to get the right and updated information.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:03 PM   #15
Rausstek
Scooby Newbie

There is only Android version... That's it. If you don't have an Android just borrow one.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:31 AM   #16
shake-rattle-n-roll
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
There is only Android version... That's it. If you don't have an Android just borrow one.

Raus have you had a chance to make a review yet?

I would be interested in see the difference in the stock unit with these sounds settings
and amp off, versus the A430dsp with similar sound setting while the stock unit EQ is set to flat.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:21 AM   #17
Rausstek
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Raus have you had a chance to make a review yet?

I would be interested in see the difference in the stock unit with these sounds settings and amp off, versus the A430dsp with similar sound setting while the stock unit EQ is set to flat.
To be frankly, this setting in the video with the voice imaging is clearly messing with the sound quality and it sounds awful with the amp. On the stock setup you can cheat your way to gain more amplitude.

I'll put the review soon. I'm very happy with the dsp and amp. Deeper bass at lower volume and more sound gain.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:36 PM   #18
mikeyunk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 455148
Vehicle:
2016 Impreza
Dark Grey Metallic

Default My quest to make Starlink or any OEM sound better, and I found something!

Anyone know the part number for the 7" radio? I have a 2016 Impreza with the 6.2" Starlink Radio. I was thinking of getting the 7" radio and this Axton A430DSP too.

Right now I have the stock 6.2" HU and Alpine Type S components in the front doors and Alpine Type S coaxials in the rear. I have the Alpine Powerpack amp too but I am still looking for a good palce to mount it. I had it behind the radio but I could not get the dash back together. It took up too much room behind the radio with the AutoHarnessHouse harnesses there too. If I stay with the Powerpack amp I'll just put it under the drivers seat and extend the wires with some 9 wire.

Last edited by mikeyunk; 04-20-2017 at 02:13 PM.
mikeyunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:54 PM   #19
BHOD
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX sport, 6MT
crystal BLACK silica

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyunk View Post
Right now I have the stock 6.2" HU and Alpine Type S components in the front doors and Alpine Type S coaxials in the rear. I have the Alpine Powerpack amp too but I am still looking for a good palce to mount it. I had it behind the radio but I could not get the dash back together. It took up too much room behind the radio with the AutoHarnessHouse harnesses there too. If I stay with the Powerpack amp I'll just put it under the drivers seat and extend the wires with some 9 wire.
Rather than put this so small powerpack under the seat, did you see this location, under the glove box?
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=63
(look in the link, inside this link You may want to read the following post as well; just click on the link upright giving the title of the thread)

My amp not installed yet, is bigger (same length, same thickness but larger) than the Alpine KTP-445u. I'm pretty confident I could put it, at left, behind the glove box.
I just want to ask my dealer before if there is no risk or issue to put it there.

Quote:
Anyone know the part number for the 7" radio? I have a 2016 Impreza with the 6.2" Starlink Radio. I was thinking of getting the 7" radio and this Axton A430DSP too.
The 7" might be a good idea as it's supposed to sound a little bit better than the 6.2. I don't know the part number but give a call at dealer, ask for the 7" fujiten
As for the Axton A430DSP, I viewed and listened the Rausstek setup.
It sounds good, but it's not loud. As he doesn't listen music loud, he is very happy with this setup.
IMO, if you're about something powerful, being sure you drive your alpine speakers adequately, I would go bigger in the Axton serie.

Or, if you keep your powerpack, you may go with a "miniDSP" (recommended by some guys here)
like this one:
https://www.minidsp.com/products/car...-dsp/c-dsp-6x8
or this one:
https://www.minidsp.com/products/min...p-balanced-2x4

I can't tell you much about these dsp. I can't say how complex these are compared to the simplicity to configure the more basic dsp's Axton.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:53 PM   #20
Rausstek
Scooby Newbie

Been looking for the 7 Starlink not for updated sound but better ui experience. Like BHOD said my setup doesnt make the sound loud BUT after some observations, it very limited to the output of the starlink 6.2. Higher you go on volume flater the sound will go... But still, clearly way better than stock. The bottleneck of the setup is the starlink 6.2 notbthe tiny amp
Old 04-21-2017, 03:40 PM   #21
BHOD
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX sport, 6MT
crystal BLACK silica

Hi Rausstek,

I forgot to mention the tiny size of the A430dsp!

Please post picture when your setup will be completed.

I couldn't imagine better place than the one you showed me!

I confirmed with dealer that there is absolutely no problem to put my amp in the "bat cave" at the left and behind the glove box like I showed you.

J'ai hâte en tab*** de l'installer
Old 04-24-2017, 12:03 PM   #22
mikeyunk
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 Impreza
Dark Grey Metallic

86201FJ660 is the part number for the 7" non-nav Fujitsu 10 head unit for my 2016 Impreza. I assume it is the same part number for other Subaru's too. The dealer wants $1527.22 for it. They are checking to see if I can even have it installed. I won't be buying it from the dealer that's for sure. I found one on eBay in the $500 range. I'm not sure if I will be swapping out the 6.2" for the 7" and use the Alpine Powerpack that I already have or keep the 6.2" and use the Powerpack or try an amp with a DSP.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:48 PM   #23
Rausstek
Scooby Newbie

You will be very happy on this path for sure.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:17 PM   #24
mikeyunk
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 Impreza
Dark Grey Metallic

Quote:
You will be very happy on this path for sure.

Which path?
Old 04-25-2017, 10:29 AM   #25
Rausstek
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Which path?
Just an amp and dsp. If we talk about sound for sure. If you wish a better UI experience, get the Starlink 7.