Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday October 22, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-22-2020, 11:49 AM   #1
thegreatob
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 488134
Vehicle:
2019 STi
WR Blue

Thumbs down CarPlay issues

2019 STI here. Carplay is driving me nuts. Keeps disconnecting or reconnecting with no rhyme or reason.

Both the radio and the phone have the latest firmware. Using Apple iPhone cords or aftermarket doesn't seem to affect it. I delete the radio from the phone and delete the phone from the radio and reprogram. Sometimes this fixes it and sometimes it doesn't. Scoured car forums, and Apple forums for answers.

Is anyone else having this or similar issues?
thegreatob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2020, 12:41 PM   #2
gunz4me
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 305130
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Dark Gray

Sadly, this is the same for my 2019 WRX with the HK sound system. I'm ripping the factory radio out as soon as my Maestro rr2 arrives.
gunz4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:50 PM   #3
arempee26
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 491364

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunz4me View Post
Sadly, this is the same for my 2019 WRX with the HK sound system. I'm ripping the factory radio out as soon as my Maestro rr2 arrives.

Are you going to replace the HU also?
arempee26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:11 PM   #4
gunz4me
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Dark Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by arempee26 View Post
Are you going to replace the HU also?
That is the first thing that is coming out. Unfortunately, my Maestro won't be here by the weekend as originally anticipated. I'll leave the rest of the setup in there since the new RR2 works with the factory amplifier after I call iDatalink.
Old 07-24-2020, 10:52 PM   #5
arempee26
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 491364

I have the RR1 paired with Kenwood DDX9906XR with HK on my 2017, no issues. Makes me wonder what’s new on the RR2 besides the radar integration?
arempee26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:11 PM   #6
gunz4me
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Dark Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by arempee26 View Post
I have the RR1 paired with Kenwood DDX9906XR with HK on my 2017, no issues. Makes me wonder what’s new on the RR2 besides the radar integration?
CAN volume control was implemented in either 2018 or 2019 depending on which installer you speak to. Basically, the factory radio in my 2019 sends a fixed signal to the amplifier and utilizes a secondary volume control through the CAN BUS.

EDIT: This is similar to what Chrysler has been doing for a few years which made factory integration a challenge for them too. One of my friends had a ticking sound in his Challenger that would not go away even with the Maestro setup. As a result, he ripped it all out and went overboard custom spending thousands more than he wanted to.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:02 PM   #7
TheNovaScotian
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 492073
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2019 Subaru
Black

My 2019 wrx with hk system worked fine when i bought the car. Then over time it connected to Car Play less and less. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the radio and the usb port. Now it will not connect at all.

They are ordering another new radio. If that dont work i suspect they will change the wire harness.
Ongoing!
TheNovaScotian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:00 PM   #8
gunz4me
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Dark Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNovaScotian View Post
My 2019 wrx with hk system worked fine when i bought the car. Then over time it connected to Car Play less and less. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the radio and the usb port. Now it will not connect at all.

They are ordering another new radio. If that dont work i suspect they will change the wire harness.
Ongoing!
Lucky you, mine never worked right. The dealership response "Cannot replicate"
Old 07-26-2020, 10:07 PM   #9
2slofouru
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 90539
Vehicle:
My BOV goes
COVFEFE!

Is everyone with the complaint here using an iphone? Almost every time we have a compatibility issue with cars at work, it's an iphone. Systems like carplay usually just work, unless something is externally changed, like phone software or damage to the usb port. Some vehicles also have automatic software updates via wifi, do these?

Iphones were also a headache long ago when I worked at Circuit City, we were always dealing with complaints from iphone users and it was almost always due to software conflicts and glitches with them linking to the audio units.
2slofouru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:38 PM   #10
gunz4me
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Dark Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slofouru View Post
Is everyone with the complaint here using an iphone? Almost every time we have a compatibility issue with cars at work, it's an iphone. Systems like carplay usually just work, unless something is externally changed, like phone software or damage to the usb port. Some vehicles also have automatic software updates via wifi, do these?

Iphones were also a headache long ago when I worked at Circuit City, we were always dealing with complaints from iphone users and it was almost always due to software conflicts and glitches with them linking to the audio units.
Mine is Android Auto with a Galaxy S9+. Granted, an iPhone 7 was no better.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:50 AM   #11
thegreatob
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 488134
Vehicle:
2019 STi
WR Blue

Quote:

iPhone here. Rather not go to deal because they're just going to replace radio after radio after radio or blame the phone.
thegreatob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:15 PM   #12
2slofouru
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 90539
Vehicle:
My BOV goes
COVFEFE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunz4me View Post
Mine is Android Auto with a Galaxy S9+. Granted, an iPhone 7 was no better.
Well there goes my theory, argh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatob View Post
iPhone here. Rather not go to deal because they're just going to replace radio after radio after radio or blame the phone.
They will likely ask if the cable is oem and fairly new and if the phone's software is current, and if the system started acting crazy after the phone's most recent update. I understand not wanting to go get it checked, especially since they may not find anything wrong, and an aftermarket deck may be more responsive and less glitchy.
2slofouru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:53 PM   #13
TheNovaScotian
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 492073
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2019 Subaru
Black

Thing is My dealer could not get it to work with a new cable or their own phones no matter what. I think its a factory wiring issue. in extreme heat it used to work until the new radio.

I want a new harness
TheNovaScotian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 02:20 PM   #14
snarkkkkkkk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 517964

Quote:

I have an Android and while it stays connected to Android Auto consistently once it has connected, sometimes it just wont pick up in the first place and the only way to get it to register is a hard reset of the HU.
snarkkkkkkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:23 PM   #15
wlatc
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 518696

Besides the disconnection issue, do you have issues using maps on the carplay? I am unable to use gestures to on the screen, the only way to move around is by pressing the arrow icon and then you arrows and the sides of the screen. I've tried android auto and gesture work fine to move around the map.
wlatc is offline   Reply With Quote