Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-06-2008, 10:49 PM   #1
SubbyOBS
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 124035
Vehicle:
99 LOB and RS

Default Impreza 00 SOHC

Recently I brought the car to the dealer and found out that it is time to do some schelude maintainance to the RS. The dealer mentioned something about that there is a potential that the coolant has not added the conditioner as a 'recall' from the subaru USA. It seemed that the head gasket will be messed up if the coolant is not change on time.

My RS is at 77k now, the appointment will be 2 weeks later since I will be out of town with the RS the coming weeks and I don't want to leave the car in the dealer lot.

The dealer was so nice to ask me search around this forum to see if any concern was make for the coolant and the head gasket.

The dealer referenced the engine in my RS was a SOHC, Phase-2 engine (2.5L).

If I need to add the conditioner into the coolant, is that tough to do (should I add it through the radiator while the car is cool?

Did it require some special flush and clean procedures?

I looked at subaruparts.com, the condition only cost less than 10 dollars + shipping. A dealer quote coolant service cost nearly 80 bucks. (And yes, that is why I whining about).
SubbyOBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2008, 11:24 PM   #2
North Ursalia
Miss You Mom
Oct 1940 - Feb 2008

Super Moderator

Member#: 809
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 RS, '14 For
92 5MT SVX

The conditioner actually lists for $1.39 (SOA635071) and can be had from any dealership. Don't pay $10 + shipping for it. All you do is remove a bit of fluid from the radiator, pour it in, and run the car up to operating temperature. Easy DIY.

The coolant service from a dealership is likely a flush and top off. It is not really necessary.
North Ursalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:42 AM   #3
ttatsumi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 85763
Chapter/Region: Tri-State

Same concern. How much of the coolant do I need to drain and pour the conditioner?
ttatsumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:00 AM   #4
North Ursalia
Miss You Mom
Oct 1940 - Feb 2008

Super Moderator

Member#: 809
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 RS, '14 For
92 5MT SVX

Um, about the same amount in the bottle of conditioner