Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday December 3, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2020, 11:50 PM   #1
bofh
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 59287
Join Date: Apr 2004
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston, Tx
Vehicle:
2007 WRB WRX
2004 WRB WRX (RIP)

Default 2007 WRX with 275k miles P2021

I have a stock (engine anyway) early 2007 WRX, and I am now throwing the P2021 "Useless sensor on unneeded part reads wrong. No cruise for you" code. When I search, the forum only shows this for TGV deletes and I have mine. It is the driver side. I pulled the sensor and reinstalled with the 90 degree clock, and I thought it was fixed! For about 5 minutes... I have no drivability issues. At least no new ones. I have a full throttle stumble that I thought was the MAP sensor, but replacement only made it a little better... But that is several years old, and the P2021 is new.

So I need...
Troubleshooting steps to know if it is the sensor in the front or the weird valve Rube Goldburg device in the rear. If the sensor, what is the part number? The diagrams only show the valve thing! And how is the person to slap for putting all the pipes in front of the screws on this thing? Sigh...

PS: Engine only has 70k miles. A rod let go at just under 200k. But most of the bits on it are old.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
bofh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:15 AM   #2
BeastianSTI
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310506
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Florida
Vehicle:
2005 WRX STi
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofh View Post
I have a stock (engine anyway) early 2007 WRX, and I am now throwing the P2021 "Useless sensor on unneeded part reads wrong. No cruise for you" code. When I search, the forum only shows this for TGV deletes and I have mine. It is the driver side. I pulled the sensor and reinstalled with the 90 degree clock, and I thought it was fixed! For about 5 minutes... I have no drivability issues. At least no new ones. I have a full throttle stumble that I thought was the MAP sensor, but replacement only made it a little better... But that is several years old, and the P2021 is new.

So I need...
Troubleshooting steps to know if it is the sensor in the front or the weird valve Rube Goldburg device in the rear. If the sensor, what is the part number? The diagrams only show the valve thing! And how is the person to slap for putting all the pipes in front of the screws on this thing? Sigh...

PS: Engine only has 70k miles. A rod let go at just under 200k. But most of the bits on it are old.
If you're just looking to replace the sensor, here's a link to one that should suit your car:

https://www.fastwrx.com/products/sub...tgv-tps-sensor
BeastianSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 11:37 AM   #3
Jp925
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 510046
Join Date: Dec 2019
Default

Swap the sensor with the other bank, if you have an accessport you can monitor left and right side sensor measurements to see if itís A. working and B see if it moves to give the error on the other side.

The tgv sensors are actually Toyota TPS sensors, After a little bit of digging I actually got one from autozone for about $18.
Jp925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 12:07 PM   #4
BeastianSTI
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310506
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Florida
Vehicle:
2005 WRX STi
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp925 View Post
Swap the sensor with the other bank, if you have an accessport you can monitor left and right side sensor measurements to see if itís A. working and B see if it moves to give the error on the other side.

The tgv sensors are actually Toyota TPS sensors, After a little bit of digging I actually got one from autozone for about $18.
I wasn't sure if they were side-specific or generic. If they're all the same then def look at swapping one side to the other like jp said

Could also be worth inspecting the wiring and connectors. I recently had to replace my engine wiring harness because there were a bunch of random breaks in the wiring. My car is at 155k too (far less than OPs).
BeastianSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 01:47 PM   #5
bofh
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 59287
Join Date: Apr 2004
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston, Tx
Vehicle:
2007 WRB WRX
2004 WRB WRX (RIP)

Default

With the access for the other side, I would rather buy one! Anyone have a part number for the Autozone version?
bofh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:56 PM   #6
Jp925
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 510046
Join Date: Dec 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofh View Post
With the access for the other side, I would rather buy one! Anyone have a part number for the Autozone version?
looking now, I might have to call them.

Last edited by Jp925; 11-02-2020 at 05:06 PM.
Jp925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:13 PM   #7
Jp925
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 510046
Join Date: Dec 2019
Default

this is the one I bought

TPS4117
Jp925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:11 PM   #8
bofh
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 59287
Join Date: Apr 2004
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston, Tx
Vehicle:
2007 WRB WRX
2004 WRB WRX (RIP)

Default

Worth risking $70 to not have to get the back one on the passenger side! Especially if it fixes it!
bofh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 03:23 PM   #9
Jp925
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 510046
Join Date: Dec 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofh View Post
Worth risking $70 to not have to get the back one on the passenger side! Especially if it fixes it!
any luck?
Jp925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 01:45 PM   #10
bofh
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 59287
Join Date: Apr 2004
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston, Tx
Vehicle:
2007 WRB WRX
2004 WRB WRX (RIP)

Default

Today is my first day off... Gonna try!
bofh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 11:12 PM   #11
bofh
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 59287
Join Date: Apr 2004
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston, Tx
Vehicle:
2007 WRB WRX
2004 WRB WRX (RIP)

Default

Forgot to follow up. Seems to work well! Thanks for the help!
bofh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:30 PM   #12
Jp925
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 510046
Join Date: Dec 2019
Default

Awesome!
Jp925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2020 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.