Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-25-2019, 11:09 AM   #1
WagonBoye
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 508704
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
Black

Default Impreza 2.5l to WRX Conversion [EJ253 -> EJ255]?

Hello everyone, this is my first real post on here so I apologize for any formatting errors.
So I have a 2008 Impreza 2.5l naturally aspirated car that I love to death, 5 speed manual and I've put in my own love and I did a lot of interior swapping with outback sports and WRXs to get the interior how I want it. Now I'm looking for more speed. I live in Colorado so the price of WRXs is massively inflated here. As well, I am a teenage boy, and after talking to my insurance company, just having WRX in the VIN would nearly triple my insurance rates. In my search to find ways around this, I discovered my uncle has a dealers license and can get us into salvage auctions. I then discovered that there are plenty of decent running (but wrecked) 3rd gen EJ255 WRXs for ~$2500. I'm looking into the efficacy of swapping my current EJ253 motor and 5MT tranny in exchange for the revised 5MT and EJ255 out of a WRX. I figured it would be cheaper and easier to get a donor car than buying the parts individually because any part I would need I can steal off the WRX. If anyone has any advice, comments, or warning to heed, its all appreciated! Thank you in advance.
WagonBoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2019, 09:19 PM   #2
08naimpreza
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 508837
Smile

We are in the same boat, I want to do the same thing. Keep tis thread updated im really interested in following your route if it works out
08naimpreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:15 PM   #3
Impresive2009
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 255947

I have a 2009 2.5i that I have completely STI swapped. I absolutely love the car now but it was a ton of work. I did it all by myself in my driveway / garage and it took me pretty much a year to get it running again. If you have questions about anything let me know..but pretty much all the interior wiring gets swapped..pull the entire dash..all the wiring all the way to the taillights..front subframe has to get swapped to make room for up pipe..the only way to do it is a donor car like u say..every time I thought I was done taking parts off the sti I ended up needing something else..you have to be obsessed to want to do this.
Impresive2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:50 PM   #4
08naimpreza
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 508837

thanks for the input. id love to see videos or pictures do you have an IG?
08naimpreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 02:17 PM   #5
Impresive2009
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 255947

Np I have some pics no video or IG..I started a post of here but quickly realized I was going to be busy enough and didn’t want to add to the work by documenting everything..I can try to get what I have organized and update my original post. I would like to show everyone it is done..seems so many post about this but very few actually do it..after doing it I can see why tho haha
Impresive2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:48 PM   #6
Mario_pic
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 346512
Chapter/Region: E. Canada

u got 2 options one is use a full doner wrx of same year and swap entire body and fire wall harness over alone with all modules thats a pain but if u got the time its best to make it a real wrx

the second way is a short cut u basicly make hybrid mix mash motor of with no avcs u can drop in an ej255 with the avcs disabled and use ej205 intake gears and timing covers after cam shafts are pluged u can use stock ej253 harness and manifold u need to upgrade fuel pump and a after market digital boost controller that u can set ur boost and it monitors boost readings then u just tune stock ej253 ecu and add wrx injecters u will also need to swap front subframe if u plan on useing stock wrx headers and up pipe other then that its not to hard to do it this way vs swaping the all wireing over from a doner
Mario_pic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:09 PM   #7
Parked_car
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 476333
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza 2.5i Pr
Road Grime White

Make sure you research the gearing on the Trans if you swap it, you'll may need to swap the rear diff to match the gear ratio on the front. I believe there is a big list up somewhere on NASIOC. I would also recommend bigger bakes up front if you do any high speed or track. My 09 2.5i was a bit hard to handle trying to slow from 125mph on the highway but I am also on oversized Geolander ATs and may be a huge contributing factor.
Parked_car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:44 AM   #8
gingermafia_
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 512101

I am in the middle of wrx swapping a 2006 2.5i. I've got the engine done and waiting on wiring. Im putting a ej20 in place of the ej25.
gingermafia_ is offline   Reply With Quote