Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 19, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Motorsports > Autocross

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-04-2010, 03:49 PM   #1
mikerulzu
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 247774
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
DGM

Default My First Auto-X

I went to my first Autocross event yesterday at Great America in Santa Clara, CA. I ran my '11 WRX 10 times over the course of the day, and had an absolute blast. One of my coworkers also came with his Mazaspeed 6. It was his third time going, and my first.

My first run of the day was a 59.975. I've only had the car for about a month, never autocrossed before, and didn't know the track at all. However, I met some really cool guys who were more than happy to talk cars, hang out, and ride with me and give me advice. My second run was a 51.7x, and it was pretty consistently faster from there. I did forget to turn traction control off for 3 or 4 of my runs, which made the car do strange things at the limit, but nothing to make me spin or freak out. My last run of the day was my fastest at 49.204, and I could have definitely gotten into the 48.x's if I had another run or two.

The fastest time of the day was a supercharged 5.0 with some crazy work done, and it turned in 39.9x. I rode passenger in my friend's 600rwhp C5 Z06, which was consistently turning in 42.4x, and it was one of the most ridiculous rides I've ever been in. It wasn't so much driving as holding on for dear life.

There were at least 2 or 3 new Camaro SS's running, and I think they were posting times 50.x or 51.x, I think, but I couldn't tell how good the drivers were. Lots of EVOs and some Subarus (along with two base imprezas that didn't do too poorly). One EVO X got down to 46.66, and there were two EVO IX running meth that I didn't see the times for, but they were absolutely flying.

I had an absolute blast, and a good number of the guys at work also do autox/road racing, so I think I'm definitely going to be doing a lot more of it in the future!

Here are a couple pics:
A couple Cobras

Starting grid

my time slips, top is first 5 runs, bottom is last 5, in order.
mikerulzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
Dsilko
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 226246
Vehicle:
2005 Impreza 2.5 RS
Silver

as soon as I fix up the slight errors from the previous owner of my car, I'm going to be starting auto-x. I'll be doing as much to my RS as i can before I get to too high of a class. Thinking i'll try to stick in the prepared class. What did those base impreza's run. And did you ever get lost on the track? or was it not too bad the first time
Dsilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
Mavrik
Scooby Guru

Member#: 90347
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ & Imp 2.5RS
Yamaha FZ8

Congrats and sounds like you had a good time.

I just finished off the season here with my RS. I came in first in my ST class and second overall behind 1st place Nissan GTR lol. I love autocross.

Now here anyway the course is different every event. Sure makes it a challenge. I wish I was in a place with more large available lots.

Got pics of your runs?
Mavrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
leecea
Scooby Guru

Member#: 37359
Vehicle:
2003 WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsilko View Post
Thinking i'll try to stick in the prepared class.
Assuming you mean SCCA autox classes, Prepared is a pretty crazy class. You should look into something like the Street Touring or even Street Prepared classes first. Street Touring is very popular because you aren't tempted to buy r-compound tires.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:17 PM   #5
Mavrik
Scooby Guru

Member#: 90347
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ & Imp 2.5RS
Yamaha FZ8

Yeah until you feel ready to play with the big boys who take this as serious as a heart attack... stay out of any street modified or prepared class. I enjoy Street Touring (ST) as it allows you to do suspension and small engine mods.

keep in mind also that its advised to work on being a better driver, then work on having a better car. Some people build a fast car to make themselves faster. bad idea
Mavrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:34 PM   #6
Dsilko
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 226246
Vehicle:
2005 Impreza 2.5 RS
Silver

yea, thats what I thought I was saying, I meant something like ST or SP. But I not exactly making my car faster yet, Just making it a drivable car.
Dsilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
CamaroFS34
Scooby Guru

Member#: 6850
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
1996 Camaro Z28 1LE
& 2006 IAG WRX

Keep the car "enjoyable" and work on your ability to read a course and drive what you have. Then worry about prepping a car (not necessarily the car you currently own).

And try to have fun!
CamaroFS34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:01 AM   #8
mikerulzu
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 247774
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
DGM

The car will only get you so far. I saw a couple C6 Vettes turning in 52's consistently, and a guy in an 86 Corolla got 47's all day.
mikerulzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:26 AM   #9
ScootSpecs
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 256739
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
1994 Legacy TTWagon
Dark red

Congrats and looks like a great turnout!

Here's some good autoX prep info, haven't read it all and not sure how much will apply to AWD, but good stuff nonetheless:
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19854

cheers,
yan b.
ScootSpecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:36 PM   #10
Vehicle336
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 220973
Chapter/Region: South East

Ha! Someone else got a sniff of the AutoX crack and is hooked! Welcome to the party, hope you keep having fun.
Vehicle336 is offline   Reply With Quote