Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Tri-State Area Club
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Regional Areas > Tri-State Area Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-08-2019, 08:54 AM   #1
JBKbranden
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 190992
Vehicle:
In the
Market

Default NNJ: help delete Cobb tune off 08wrx

Here is the situation:

Bought a rotated 08wrx off a member here a few weeks back. Previous owner stated the ecu was open sourced tuned. This does not appear to be the case as I previously owned an 08 and had no issues connecting ecuflash to pull the rom on the same laptop. Romraider works fine, and ecuflash tries, pulls correct vin, sends key then the interface closes automatically(I definitely have the correct definitions). I am certain I am locked out by a proprietary tuning software.

What I need:

A generous NASIOC member with another 08-14wrx who has an accessport to connect it to my vehicle, confirm it is Cobb tuned, pull the map, then delete it off my ecu and unmarry. This is the only way I know of to make the ecu accessible again to the open source systems. I don’t know much about Cobb but I understand this is fairly easy and should take only a few minutes. Willing to spot for gas/tolls and your time.

As the vehicle won’t be driveable on the stock flash once the tune is deleted, I would require anyone willing to help to stop by my house, located in 07424.

Of note: I realize an EcuTek tune is also a possible cause of this and have reached out to a local tuner who utilizes who has agreed to check also. Will do this should it prove not to be a Cobb tune.

PM me with any detailed ?’s.

Thanks in advance!
JBKbranden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:54 PM   #2
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 RAV4 MT
15 WRX/11 CRZ

Unfortunately I don't think it's that simple. Assuming the AP would successfully install with whatever existing tune is there, when it's uninstalled it will just put that same tune back on the ECU. If your idea is that this will give you a stock tune it won't.
You can get some more accurate responses if you ask this in the AP section of the Engine Management forum-
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=140
You can also try the Open Source section and the Commercial ECU section which covers Ecutek (although that one is kind of dead). Normally we frown on crossposting but in this case you may not find all your answers in one place.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:33 PM   #3
JBKbranden
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 190992
Vehicle:
In the
Market

@Mulder - Much appreciate your input and redirection here. I’ll pose the question in the Engine Management forum for sure.

I don’t necessarily need a stock tune, I just need write access to my ECU which I understand is blocked because of the (assumed) proprietary tune.
JBKbranden is offline   Reply With Quote