Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
Yargk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 81260
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2007 WRX Wagon
Urban Gray

Default Damper experts! What are the koni failure/wear modes?

I have Koni Yellow inserts on my 2007 WRX wagon with wagon sti pink springs. For the past few years, about every year, I need to turn my konis about a quarter turn firmer to maintain the ride I'm looking for. If I don't the car starts feeling a bit disconnected and bouncy and isn't as fun to drive, but after the turn, everything seems to go back to normal. I've read that this is not uncommon for Koni yellows, but it still seems strange to me. The shocks aren't failing, but something much be wearing or changing, that makes the shock a bit weak. Then that problem is mitigated by firming up the shock. Does anyone know what's going on inside the damper?

Thanks!
Yargk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2013, 03:59 AM   #2
fastwrx25
Scooby Guru

Member#: 126441
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
03 bugeye

have you marked the konis/strut top orientation to see if the valve is turning over time by itself?

I noticed my konis settings sometimes change after time and I have to re-adjust them
fastwrx25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:46 AM   #3
Yargk
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 WRX Wagon
Urban Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastwrx25 View Post
have you marked the konis/strut top orientation to see if the valve is turning over time by itself?

I noticed my konis settings sometimes change after time and I have to re-adjust them
Good point, I think this has happened before, but most recently I think not. I've had my shocks for 50k miles. FYI, about 15k miles ago they were good at 10/8 turns from soft. Now I'm enjoying 14/8 turns from soft.

BTW, it's interesting to me that I can tell the difference easily between .125 turns (that is, one setting will be perfect, and an 1/8th turn too much will be noticeably too stiff and an 1/8th turn too little will be relatively uncontrolled.) I wonder if anyone else adjusts that finely.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
memmek2k
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 324832
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX
WRB

The Autocross to Win book mentions Koni adjustment being pretty nonlinear and sensitive:

Quote:
That being said, the ubiquitous Koni Yellow is actually a decent shock for the price. The off-the-shelf valving is usually pretty good, the knob is rebound-only with very little crosstalk onto compression, and while the knob is SERIOUSLY nonlinear, it can be worked with: a typical Yellow had 2 1/2 turns of adjustment. The last 1/2 turn to full hard is useless (tiny changes make huge force changes) and the last half to full turn to full soft does nothing, but that turn to turn and a half in the middle of the range usually isn't bad.
memmek2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
Yargk
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 WRX Wagon
Urban Gray

Cool, thanks for the info.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
jamal
Scooby Guru

Member#: 71875

Sounds like they could use a rebuild or new fluid and seals. Over time the fluid will wear out and break down, and the viscosity will drop. So you need a tighter shim/smaller orifice to get the same force.
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote