Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-20-2020, 08:10 PM   #1
alexholl
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 458056
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2005 FXT Premium
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default will my 6 speed swap work?

So my 5 speed with 195,1XX miles is really starting to show its age. Leaks, lots of howling and whining, and synchro noise when shifting.I've decided the best route to go will be a 6 speed, since I'll be making ~325whp/wtq if not more when my new motor goes in and i drive the car hard on a regular basis. My current plan is to use the 2007 STI trans and differential for the longer gears, and its my understanding that the front and rear axles are all male like the FXT. That being said:

1. I do not want 5x114 hubs/new wheels. I don't have room for lug adapters either so out of the question.

2. I do not want new brakes. The WRX fronts and outback rears are great.

3. I do not want to remove the subframe spacers. Im only lowered on swift springs on stock height FXT struts. I don't want to mess with my suspension geometry.

Is there any way I can accomplish this? basically swapping over only the trans, diff, driveshaft, axles, and STI trans crossmember/mount (which I think I can use spacers for to match the heights of the subframe without losing the spacers or having a crazy driveshaft angle.)

Am I missing anything? is this even possible? Before you ask, yes i searched in other forums too, just couldn't find definitive answers about keeping the 5x100's and the spacers.
alexholl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2020, 09:25 PM   #2
turboblew
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 508225
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2006 Subaru
Fusia

why dont you just rebuild the 5 speed??? If you "drive hard" as you testified... you'd never miss the 6th gear OD let alone trying to accomplish a drivetrain swap that will cost twice as much
turboblew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:36 PM   #3
alexholl
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 FXT Premium
Obsidian Black Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboblew View Post
why dont you just rebuild the 5 speed??? If you "drive hard" as you testified... you'd never miss the 6th gear OD let alone trying to accomplish a drivetrain swap that will cost twice as much
6 speed is way stronger, not to mention how much if a PITA its gonna be to track down an entire set of gears, ring and pinion for the FXT 5 speed. When gears whine, theyre worn. Mine are howling, theyre shot.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:58 PM   #4
NickVu
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 27525
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
03 wrx wagon
yellow

The rears will be your problem. STI rear axles will not fit in the 5x100 hubs. If you stick with the STi R180, you'll need custom axles to convert to the 5x100 hubs.

Or use a R160 of the same ratio and you can keep the same axles. The diff flange will need modding to fit the STI driveshaft. Or use an auto driveshaft instead.

I'm not sure about the spacers part, they shouldn't matter since you're reusing the axles and suspension? You might have to tweak the spacing on the driveshaft center carrier bearing with washers. Or get an auto fxt driveshaft.
NickVu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:17 PM   #5
alexholl
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 FXT Premium
Obsidian Black Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickVu View Post
The rears will be your problem. STI rear axles will not fit in the 5x100 hubs. If you stick with the STi R180, you'll need custom axles to convert to the 5x100 hubs.

Or use a R160 of the same ratio and you can keep the same axles. The diff flange will need modding to fit the STI driveshaft. Or use an auto driveshaft instead.

I'm not sure about the spacers part, they shouldn't matter since you're reusing the axles and suspension? You might have to tweak the spacing on the driveshaft center carrier bearing with washers. Or get an auto fxt driveshaft.
For now, the revised 4th gear isnt worth the chopping and hassle. Found a solid 04 STI drivetrain that will bolt right in.