Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Warranty Issues & SOA Problems

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-23-2018, 03:35 PM   #1
blurple203
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 360576
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2013 Base WRX
Plasma Blue Pearl

Default 2013 wrx water pump failure after 105k mile service

got the timing belt service done around 105k miles less than a year ago with a gates racing timing belt and an OEM water pump (and all the other necessary stuff).

fast forward to last weekend, i'm pulled over on the highway because my car is overheating. turns out that the water pump is seized. miles are currently around ~136k

I don't know if OEM water pumps that get installed for routine maintenance come with any kind of warranty, or if I have any leg to stand on. But I'm currently dealing with an engine rebuild due to the overheating issue (i was driving on the highway and i have no idea how long it had been overheated for before i noticed the coolant gauge was pegged). car was driving fine and i was on a long drive so i was just cruising along.

I don't know if there is anyway to pin the failure to the water pump, but as its seized you can conclude that was the initial problem that caused all of the subsequent problems.

Engine has low compression 120-90 on all 4 cylinders. leaking past exhaust valve and piston rings. so we're talking about more than just a short block rebuild here.

Last edited by blurple203; 02-23-2018 at 03:41 PM.
blurple203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2018, 07:34 AM   #2
blackfang
Scooby Guru

Member#: 131347
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2007 Legacy 2.5i SE

Did you buy the pump directly from a Subaru dealer?

Not sure on Subaru's warranty, but most manufacturer replacement parts come with a 12 month or 12k mile warranty which ever comes first.
blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:47 AM   #3
blurple203
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Base WRX
Plasma Blue Pearl

no i did not buy the pump directly from subaru, I had a shop do the installation of the timing belt and the water pump. also the mileage on the pump is around ~25k
Old 02-25-2018, 08:00 AM   #4
wrxflyer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 432253
Vehicle:
2018 WRX-Package 12
Pure Red

Default Imho...

...you're probably going to have to 'bite the bullet' this time because you bought outside of Subaru. Subaru generally covers an OE pump within the time span the other poster stated... 12 mos. - 12000 miles with an original receipt and an odometer reading at the dealer. I think that your only avenue of warranty is possibly through the entity where you bought it. Even if purchased at dealer they sometimes deny warranty. Also, you are doing a complete rebuild, yes? Buy a new OE pump from the dealer this time. Glimmer of hope that you could get the pump replaced via unwritten "good will" policy. Very sorry for your troubles, good luck with the rebuild and best of luck in the future.
wrxflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:45 PM   #5
tippmannman7
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 282933
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Silver

Wow that sucks. I have had had to deal with overheating due to a stuck thermostat and I can tell you that the temp gauge is pretty useless. If you are going to be investing in a new build I would highly suggest adding an aftermarket gauge in with an led alarm for the temp so you don't have to deal with this in the future.

Good luck and make sure to check the timing belt idlers during the rebuild. I have found the geared idler has a tendency to go bad more quickly than the rest.

Something like this might work
http://prosportgauges.com/halo-oil-t...ure-gauge.aspx
tippmannman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:07 PM   #6
blurple203
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Base WRX
Plasma Blue Pearl

yup, i would have been a lot less pissed had i blown a ringland or something. But no the engine overheated on a long boring highway trip.

It would be nice if the accessport allowed for an alert feature. like a sound or visually changing the screen a certain color. Usually I have the accessport showing coolant temp.... however I was having a weird false boost spike issue that i was trying to diagnose so of course the gauges I had up did not include the coolant temp.... rest assured when i quickly changed to it, it was north of 248 F...