Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday August 13, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2019, 01:03 AM   #1
Peanut Arbuckle
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 482248
Join Date: Feb 2018
Default Need coilover recommendations for 2018 WRX

Hey guys, I'm looking to pull the trigger on dialing in the fitment and handling on my car in the coming weeks and was hoping to learn from your experiences with suspension. I am not looking to spend over $1300 for a set of coils that will give me better handling without compromising much on ride quality since I daily the car. I do plan on going to some autocross events maybe 1 or more times a year but not often, I drive the car 300 miles a week or so and would also like a lower, more aggressive stance without having to worry about any rubbing or what not. The wheels I'm gonna be going with will likely be enkei nt03s 18x9.5 with a +40 offset in case that's useful information. Thanks for the help lads.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Peanut Arbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:38 AM   #2
intence01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 389409
Join Date: Apr 2014
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: DFW
Vehicle:
2017 STI
WRB, '15 DGM WRX RIP.

Default

Don't get coilovers. If you're not tracking the car much and it's a daily driver, just get RCE blacks or yellows and call it a day. Almost all coilovers are going ride more harshly than stock. When your car is lowered whether on coils or struts, there's a shorter distance to absorb bumps and the ride will suffer.

I've had multiple types on suspension on my WRX and now my STI. For a daily, just get a quality set of springs, maybe the GTWorx struts, but for a daily, some slightly stiffer but still progressive springs is the way to go IMO.

I'm probably old and grumpy now, but it seems really cool at first to have a lowered stiff suspension. After 2 years of driving on it as a daily, it gets pretty tired.
intence01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:56 AM   #3
f22boy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 464019
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: NC
Vehicle:
2017 Wrx
ISM

Default

Im on the fence. On one hand I want to say just get springs if its the visual you want. On the other I get not wanting to buy/do things twice. You can pick up springs for about $2-300 range and will give you the look you want, thats the route I went. Ive been on tein s-tech springs for about a year now with no complaints.
f22boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:45 AM   #4
hengyu408
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 493782
Join Date: Nov 2018
Vehicle:
2020 WRX

Default

Some BC's with swift springs would be what I'd get.
hengyu408 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:53 AM   #5
gtlyearsley
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 501308
Join Date: May 2019
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2020 STI
MGM

Default

I had BC racing on my 07 a few years ago! Extreme lows, with a 10k spring setup. Ride was decent, but I just ordered set of Silvers Neomax for my 19 yesterday. Wonít be in until end of next week! But thatís my plans for Memorial weekend will be to install them and wheel fitment lol
gtlyearsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:01 AM   #6
Peanut Arbuckle
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 482248
Join Date: Feb 2018
Default

I've considered springs because of the fact I wont be tracking much and you cant outdrive a good set of springs on the street but my concern with them is the adjustability. I'm not too worried about a slightly harsher ride quality than stock, I'm young and the roads around here in north Florida arent too bad. I think coils would be better for me because of that reason and I wouldn't want to want to upgrade later on and buy things twice.
Peanut Arbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:03 AM   #7
Peanut Arbuckle
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 482248
Join Date: Feb 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtlyearsley View Post
I had BC racing on my 07 a few years ago! Extreme lows, with a 10k spring setup. Ride was decent, but I just ordered set of Silvers Neomax for my 19 yesterday. Wonít be in until end of next week! But thatís my plans for Memorial weekend will be to install them and wheel fitment lol
I havent considered any silvers, hopefully they turn out good for ya. I've been thinking about fortune auto, twin, rce, and bc.
Peanut Arbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:04 AM   #8
ShadowIMg
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 31519
Join Date: Jan 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Glenview, IL
Vehicle:
2017 Babby Duramax
2020 Lotus Evora GT

Default

$1300 coilovers aren't going to be "slightly harsher". They're going to be pure garbage that belong in a scrap bin. This has been discussed a million times. Go spend your money, do it, and learn the hard way.
ShadowIMg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:12 AM   #9
Peanut Arbuckle
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 482248
Join Date: Feb 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hengyu408 View Post
Some BC's with swift springs would be what I'd get.
Why bc over rce, fa, then and such?
Peanut Arbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:41 AM   #10
gtlyearsley
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 501308
Join Date: May 2019
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2020 STI
MGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowIMg View Post
$1300 coilovers aren't going to be "slightly harsher". They're going to be pure garbage that belong in a scrap bin. This has been discussed a million times. Go spend your money, do it, and learn the hard way.


Well bro thatís youíre opinion and EVERYONE has one. Besides some people donít/canít spend the money to have the best of everything... too each their own.
gtlyearsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:57 AM   #11
ShadowIMg
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 31519
Join Date: Jan 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Glenview, IL
Vehicle:
2017 Babby Duramax
2020 Lotus Evora GT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtlyearsley View Post
Well bro thatís youíre opinion and EVERYONE has one. Besides some people donít/canít spend the money to have the best of everything... too each their own.
You can get the "best of" what the price point allows, which is - don't get coilovers, because there are very good strut/spring combos that DO provide good handling and ride quality for that price.

Those options are fewer and fewer, because people insist on buying cheap coilovers and then wondering why the ride quality is terrible, because everyone tells them "yo bro it's not so bad, just learn to avoid bumps in the road, you'l be fine"
ShadowIMg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:52 AM   #12
subaru_gc8
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 29292
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange County CA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX wagon
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by intence01 View Post
Don't get coilovers. If you're not tracking the car much and it's a daily driver, just get RCE blacks or yellows and call it a day. Almost all coilovers are going ride more harshly than stock. When your car is lowered whether on coils or struts, there's a shorter distance to absorb bumps and the ride will suffer.

I've had multiple types on suspension on my WRX and now my STI. For a daily, just get a quality set of springs, maybe the GTWorx struts, but for a daily, some slightly stiffer but still progressive springs is the way to go IMO.

I'm probably old and grumpy now, but it seems really cool at first to have a lowered stiff suspension. After 2 years of driving on it as a daily, it gets pretty tired.
this is very true, the other part of what I have found out, is that the more you spend on coilovers the better they are for an all around driver. I have and bilsteins, ohlins and feal. So the bilsteins and ohlins actually rode very well. they did lower the car a bit, but that really didnt bother me too much. the feals, they arent in the same league as the others they do bounce, but you get used of it, or I did I should say.
subaru_gc8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:02 PM   #13
killadawg
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 424203
Join Date: Jun 2015
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Mountains WA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX stg 4 Rally
STI Drivetrain GM

Default

My 2 cents... Get the GTWorks RCE with Yellows or get the new Super streets.. https://www.racecompengineering.com/...rstreet-1.html

you can't beat these at this price point...
killadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:35 PM   #14
gtlyearsley
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 501308
Join Date: May 2019
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2020 STI
MGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowIMg View Post
You can get the "best of" what the price point allows, which is - don't get coilovers, because there are very good strut/spring combos that DO provide good handling and ride quality for that price.



Those options are fewer and fewer, because people insist on buying cheap coilovers and then wondering why the ride quality is terrible, because everyone tells them "yo bro it's not so bad, just learn to avoid bumps in the road, you'l be fine"


Yes thatís true! I mean yes you do get what you pay for
gtlyearsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:36 PM   #15
killadawg
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 424203
Join Date: Jun 2015
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Mountains WA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX stg 4 Rally
STI Drivetrain GM

Default

Agreed, also consider that coilovers will need rebuilding at some point, and the struts will prob. last you many years almost worry free! My GTworks where great at AutoX with the other mods I did (tires being king mod here). I never had to touch them.. now my new setup which I need not $$$ is a rally specific setup costing several sets of the above, yet needs regular services, and for daily is nor really as good ;-).. BTW this is no longer a DD. good luck
killadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:03 PM   #16
shagfagon
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 337836
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: West Hartford, Connecticut
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Aspen White

Default

This has been discussed thousands of times here. $1300 budget is not enough for coilovers that will do what you want to do. Period. BC's are taiwanese garbage and won't make your car handle better. It will also throw you into an autocross class you don't want to be in.

At your budget you need to be looking at struts and springs.
shagfagon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:05 PM   #17
shagfagon
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 337836
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: West Hartford, Connecticut
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Aspen White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtlyearsley View Post
Well bro thatís youíre opinion and EVERYONE has one. Besides some people donít/canít spend the money to have the best of everything... too each their own.
If you don't have the money to buy "the best", then you cant afford to literally WASTE your money on cheap coilovers.

Spending 1k on garbage coilovers is a huge waste of money.
shagfagon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:11 PM   #18
anarekist
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 468117
Join Date: May 2017
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Southern Cali
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
DMG

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by killadawg View Post
My 2 cents... Get the GTWorks RCE with Yellows or get the new Super streets.. https://www.racecompengineering.com/...rstreet-1.html

you can't beat these at this price point...
have my eye on these for awhile now, does anyone have exp with them? i guess i can look up on youtube later.
anarekist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 03:35 PM   #19
Mike_Feal
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 462296
Join Date: Feb 2017
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Riverside, CA
Vehicle:
2003 Lexus IS300
2JZ 620HP/595TQ

Default

People saying $1300 coilovers are trash are being a bit dramatic, Feal 441's are $1285 and look at how many positive reviews are on this site for them. Give us a call if you want to talk over details and guidance of what will work best for you.
Mike_Feal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 03:46 PM   #20
whozatguy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 179775
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Huntersville, NC
Vehicle:
03 WRX/15 FXT
14 BRZ/ 92 SVX

Default

I'd suggest going with a quality strut, like the GT Worx, some RCE springs, sway bars and if you want more a more adjustable setup, some control arms and bushings. That should get you the look you want and a really great handling daily, although a little over your $1300 budget.
whozatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:04 PM   #21
gtlyearsley
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 501308
Join Date: May 2019
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2020 STI
MGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagfagon View Post
If you don't have the money to buy "the best", then you cant afford to literally WASTE your money on cheap coilovers.



Spending 1k on garbage coilovers is a huge waste of money.


Like I said too each their own
gtlyearsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:20 PM   #22
elanfam
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 491111
Join Date: Sep 2018
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles, California
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru_gc8 View Post
this is very true, the other part of what I have found out, is that the more you spend on coilovers the better they are for an all around driver. I have and bilsteins, ohlins and feal. So the bilsteins and ohlins actually rode very well. they did lower the car a bit, but that really didnt bother me too much. the feals, they arent in the same league as the others they do bounce, but you get used of it, or I did I should say.
So you are saying the feals were not as good as the other two setups?
elanfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2020 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.