Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday August 6, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2020, 11:32 PM   #1
Raikkonen-F1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 411992
Join Date: Jan 2015
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2018 WRX STi
ISM

Default Alignment issue and/or tire issue? 2018 STI

Hi all - have a 2018 STI with the original bridgestone tires (12K on them).
The car pulls slightly to the right when off throttle but as soon as you give throttle, it pulls to the left quite noticeably. I decided to rotate the tires - put the fronts in the rear and the rear in the fronts. Went for a test drive and now the inverse happens - pulls slightly to the left off throttle and to the right under throttle. At first i thought it's a tire issue but thinking alignment is also at play. I checked the tire depth on all 4 tires on different groves and they are all 7/12th. Will schedule an alignment at the dealer but was wondering if anyone had this issue before. Tire pressure is 32/33 psi (factory specs).
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Raikkonen-F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:57 PM   #2
Samurai Jack
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 21145
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Not in my own time
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

Default

While the alignment may be at least part of the issue, the rest, if not all of the issue, may be belt separation in the tires.

Why?
Because simply rotating tires front to back should not cause an exact opposite reaction.

I know there have been tire recalls in the past due to this issue ( belt separation ).

Check to see if there have been any tire recalls on your brand/model tire.
Samurai Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:00 AM   #3
Raikkonen-F1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 411992
Join Date: Jan 2015
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2018 WRX STi
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
While the alignment may be at least part of the issue, the rest, if not all of the issue, may be belt separation in the tires.

Why?
Because simply rotating tires front to back should not cause an exact opposite reaction.

I know there have been tire recalls in the past due to this issue ( belt separation ).

Check to see if there have been any tire recalls on your brand/model tire.
I took all 4 wheels off and visually inspected them very closely - nothing stood out to me. They all head a uniform wear.
Raikkonen-F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:35 AM   #4
Samurai Jack
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 21145
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Not in my own time
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

Default

You can't tell if the belts are separating by looking at them. They are covered by the rubber.
Samurai Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:50 AM   #5
ians19832
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 516619
Join Date: Jul 2020
Default

Since the issue changed from right to left and vice versa when you rotated the tyre's, Maybe an issue with wheel balancing? Unless you took the tires off the rims and rotated them?
ians19832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:22 PM   #6
rtv900
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 428511
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: philadelphia
Vehicle:
2016 STI

Default

The only thing I'm wondering is if you just moved rears to the front but didn't change sides?
Or you moved rears to front and switched sides at the same time and just moved the fronts back
rtv900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:34 AM   #7
cknowlen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 189077
Join Date: Sep 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Connecticut
Vehicle:
2011 STI limited
WRB

Default

From my experience, a car which pulls in a specific direction on throttle and lets off after is usually do to a loose/failed bushing. In my specific cases it is typically one of the rear control arm bushings (on the front control arms). Now, since your car is a 2018, its really unlikely one of these bushings has failed already, but I would at the very least do a sanity check and get under the car to inspect all of the suspension bushings up front to make sure you do not have any that are worn or loose. Food for thought.
cknowlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:12 PM   #8
Raikkonen-F1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 411992
Join Date: Jan 2015
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2018 WRX STi
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtv900 View Post
The only thing I'm wondering is if you just moved rears to the front but didn't change sides?
Or you moved rears to front and switched sides at the same time and just moved the fronts back
Moved fronts to rear and rears to front. Did not change sides.
Raikkonen-F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:13 PM   #9
Raikkonen-F1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 411992
Join Date: Jan 2015
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2018 WRX STi
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cknowlen View Post
From my experience, a car which pulls in a specific direction on throttle and lets off after is usually do to a loose/failed bushing. In my specific cases it is typically one of the rear control arm bushings (on the front control arms). Now, since your car is a 2018, its really unlikely one of these bushings has failed already, but I would at the very least do a sanity check and get under the car to inspect all of the suspension bushings up front to make sure you do not have any that are worn or loose. Food for thought.
Will have the dealer look at it - scheduled appt next week.
Raikkonen-F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:23 PM   #10
Raikkonen-F1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 411992
Join Date: Jan 2015
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2018 WRX STi
ISM

Default

What do you guys think?
That rear left toe isn't very symmetrical with the right rear.

Car still pulls in one direction under throttle and opposite direction off throttle but that's not caused by toe. I still think it's a tire issue but according to dealer it's not.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MyH...ew?usp=sharing
Raikkonen-F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:39 PM   #11
murrdogg24
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 50586
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs
Vehicle:
2020 STI
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen-F1 View Post
What do you guys think?
That rear left toe isn't very symmetrical with the right rear.

Car still pulls in one direction under throttle and opposite direction off throttle but that's not caused by toe. I still think it's a tire issue but according to dealer it's not.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MyH...ew?usp=sharing
I'm not an expert on this new gen of Subaru but in my old 04 WRX my front camber was always more negative than the rear....not sure why the rear on this has more negative camber than the front..? Anywho, I would check all your bushings like the other member has suggested..
murrdogg24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:55 PM   #12
Raikkonen-F1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 411992
Join Date: Jan 2015
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2018 WRX STi
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrdogg24 View Post
I'm not an expert on this new gen of Subaru but in my old 04 WRX my front camber was always more negative than the rear....not sure why the rear on this has more negative camber than the front..? Anywho, I would check all your bushings like the other member has suggested..
I haven't checked bc swapping location of tires (i/e, front left with front right) has an opposite effect.
Raikkonen-F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2020 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.