Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday August 13, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-31-2020, 03:02 PM   #1
billmidd08
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 39599
Vehicle:
08 STI Hatch
WRB

Default New rear rotors won't install - caught on rear drum friction material

So I started a project of refreshing my rear brakes by flushing fluid, replacing my ****ty wheelstuds with ARP studs along with installing new centric high carbon rear rotors and new Project Mu rear pads all at the same time.

Flush is done, new wheelstuds are installed, but am encountering some issues on the rear rotors.

Trying to get the new rotor mounted on the new studs and found it will not clear the ebrake drum. In fact, it won't fit my old worn rotor back on either at the moment, tried it just for ****s and giggles and to make sure my new rotors are the right size (they are).

I turned the star adjuster at the bottom of the drum to full loose but I'm not sure it's actually shrinking the circumference to get more clearance, the edge of the drum friction material is still barely catching the inner rotor lip on full loose. I've turned the star adjuster up and down a good chunk of its range a few times... and nothing visually looks out of place to me.

Does anyone have a rear drum tips/tricks? ...or a manual if I need to actually disassemble the ebrake drums.
billmidd08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2020, 04:43 PM   #2
dpetro1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 487500
Vehicle:
2018 WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmidd08 View Post
So I started a project of refreshing my rear brakes by flushing fluid, replacing my ****ty wheelstuds with ARP studs along with installing new centric high carbon rear rotors and new Project Mu rear pads all at the same time.

Flush is done, new wheelstuds are installed, but am encountering some issues on the rear rotors.

Trying to get the new rotor mounted on the new studs and found it will not clear the ebrake drum. In fact, it won't fit my old worn rotor back on either at the moment, tried it just for ****s and giggles and to make sure my new rotors are the right size (they are).

I turned the star adjuster at the bottom of the drum to full loose but I'm not sure it's actually shrinking the circumference to get more clearance, the edge of the drum friction material is still barely catching the inner rotor lip on full loose. I've turned the star adjuster up and down a good chunk of its range a few times... and nothing visually looks out of place to me.

Does anyone have a rear drum tips/tricks? ...or a manual if I need to actually disassemble the ebrake drums.
Can you compress the shoes by hand with the adjuster loosened?
The return springs may be holding the shoes out.
Grease everything up to make sure it's all moving freely.
dpetro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 02:38 PM   #3
billmidd08
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 39599
Vehicle:
08 STI Hatch
WRB

Nope, definitely not able to compress them by hand with the adjuster loosened. Will see if I can unfreeze it.

*EDIT*

UPDATE: after brake cleaner and grease was able to brake everthing free and get some wiggle room to successfully get the rotor mounted.

Last edited by billmidd08; 08-01-2020 at 04:08 PM. Reason: update
billmidd08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 03:32 PM   #4
2slofouru
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 90539
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
My BOV goes
COVFEFE!

You may have purchased normal wrx rotors that have a smaller ID for the e-brake shoes. That would prevent them from sliding over the larger STi e-brake shoes.

Also the e-brake shoes can shift over one way or the other when pulling the rotor off, you just need to bump it over the correct way with your hand if that's the case.

(Obviously you don't have the e-brake handle pulled....)
2slofouru is offline   Reply With Quote