Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday August 10, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-27-2020, 03:29 PM   #1
Ehrek
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 512067
Default Coolant Question

I have a 2003 wrx(2.0 Turbo) and i wanted to do a coolant flush and ive noticed that the previous owner had green coolant(recently bought the car) and i wanted to use the oem subaru super coolant but would i be able to use it for my year, and would I have to use the super coolant or just the long life coolant ? any help is appreciated
Ehrek is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2020, 05:08 PM   #2
Samurai Jack
Scooby Guru

Member#: 21145
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

I used Prestone since 2002 w/zero issues.
- Allegedly it can cause issues over time but I did change the original OEM radiator after 14 years.

You can also use the Subaru blue coolant.
Samurai Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:32 AM   #3
Unabomber
👏 Big Ron 👏

Member#: 18062
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

You can use it but you have to do it one of two ways:

1. FLUSH your block. As in drain, stick a hose in the turbo tank for 5 minutes, then repeat in the radiator.
2. Flush via machine, dealers have the machine with the right coolant.

In the end, it won't matter though as your cooling capacity is the same with Dollar Store or LEGION Coolant and you'll probably sell the care before your next change. You do you though.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:55 AM   #4
Jack
Add Lightness

Member#: 13699
Vehicle:
not my president
(From General)

What I would do, because I'm lazy.... Drain the coolant. Save it and put it in a tray under my roll away in the garage because mice will be attracted to it, and either take a sip and die or fall in and die.

Now, I'll fill the cooling system with distilled water. I'll run it this way until Labor Day. On Labor day, I'll drain out that water and fill with subaru coolant and distilled water 50/50, add a bottle of subaru conditioner (aka, stop leak).
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 10:55 AM   #5
WhiteZombie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 338863
Vehicle:
PSM 05 WRX WGN 5MT
95 Caprice 6spd Track Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
What I would do, because I'm lazy.... Drain the coolant. Save it and put it in a tray under my roll away in the garage because mice will be attracted to it, and either take a sip and die or fall in and die.

Now, I'll fill the cooling system with distilled water. I'll run it this way until Labor Day. On Labor day, I'll drain out that water and fill with subaru coolant and distilled water 50/50, add a bottle of subaru conditioner (aka, stop leak).
Not a bad idea for a thorough flush, but isn't lack of lubricity in plain water bad for the water pump seals, long term?
WhiteZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 11:29 AM   #6
Jack
Add Lightness

Member#: 13699
Vehicle:
not my president
(From General)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteZombie View Post
Not a bad idea for a thorough flush, but isn't lack of lubricity in plain water bad for the water pump seals, long term?
Add water wetter.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:09 PM   #7
wooshwoosh
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 514853

Assuming that you manage to flush / dilute out any of the old coolant sufficiently (5 or 7 rinse cycles should do), you should be able to use whatever you wish.

Note however that the current subaru oem coolant (blue stuff) is a HOAT coolant, which is drastically different to the old oem green coolant. The original OEM green coolant was an inorganic type coolant, with phosphates and no silicates, but as the EU ban on phosphates and other silly environmental nonsense sprung up overnight, it got phased out in favor for OAT's and HOAT's which lack a fast acting layer of protection for your aluminium engine.

Also note that the color of the previous coolant (green) has no bearing on what type of coolant it was ; the colors are just general conventions - green for inorganic, blue/red for OAT, yellow for HOAT ; there are green coolants that are OAT's just as there are inorganics.

Personally, I am not a fan of OAT's or HOAT's as it seems to have caused a great deal of pitting and corrosion along with other headaches. Instead I opted for a low silicate inorganic, with water wetter built in.
https://imgur.com/a/0VGlvlM
https://imgur.com/MbGYgOU
wooshwoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:24 AM   #8
WhiteZombie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 338863
Vehicle:
PSM 05 WRX WGN 5MT
95 Caprice 6spd Track Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Add water wetter.
Now we're talkin!
WhiteZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM   #9
Hoodlumz
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 425216
Vehicle:
2004 Wrx
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehrek View Post
I have a 2003 wrx(2.0 Turbo) and i wanted to do a coolant flush and ive noticed that the previous owner had green coolant(recently bought the car) and i wanted to use the oem subaru super coolant but would i be able to use it for my year, and would I have to use the super coolant or just the long life coolant ? any help is appreciated

Is there a reason you want to switch to the super coolant? You do realize the green long life coolant is OEM also, right?

You canít mix the two but if you do a full flush then youíll be fine.
Hoodlumz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM   #10
Ehrek
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 512067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodlumz View Post
Is there a reason you want to switch to the super coolant? You do realize the green long life coolant is OEM also, right?

You canít mix the two but if you do a full flush then youíll be fine.
Because i bought the car recently I was going to do a complete coolant flush because i dont know if it actually is oem or another brand and i might've phrased my question wrong but i was just wondering what type of coolant i should use but i found out that the green long life is the best choice for my car rather than the super coolant which ive heard is for 2008 and beyond
Ehrek is online now   Reply With Quote