Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday August 10, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-01-2020, 02:07 PM   #1
Hallucidini
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 516887
Vehicle:
2004 Wrx
Silver

Default Tender Loving Care

So last week I bought my first Subaru. Sweet local trade, been very well maintained and decently low mileage. It is a 2004 Wrx, has 113k miles the frame and body have small amounts of rust which I plan to do something about just not sure the best way to go about that is yet.
Anyways I bought the car and enjoyed the hell out of it the first day, checked it over the next morning, seemed sound, took it out the next day and my right inner cv boot ripped. Got to my campsite and smoke was coming from under the hood. Ruined my whole day. Thought I had blown a seal on the transmission when i looked down to inspect the damage. After letting it cool down I took a closer look at the doom substance splattered on the down pipe and transmission to realize it was grease. This made me feel better but still a little bummed. Got it home and really checked it out and realized it was just the boot. No problem. Got the boot changed this morning by way of strut bolt removal technique. Went to reinstall my top camber bolt and I didnt have a 1/2" drive 19mm socket so I used a reducer to 3/8s (I realize now that was a stupid idea) so I tighten it down with the reducer and could not get the torque wrench to hit the target 120ft lbs (which I got from my Haynes repair manual, please correct me if that value is wrong.) Broke the reducer so I went and bought a 19mm socket, which I obviously should have done to begin with) came back to try again and now the camber bolt won't tighten or come undone. It's just stuck pretty much all the way down. I did some research and found that 20540AA090 is the part number I need for the bolt. Again, please correct me if I'm wrong. While I've got it open gonna do the other inner boot and sway bar end looks as one is completely broke free and o2 sensor. Going to inspect and fix anything obvious also but like I said I am brand new to owning a Subaru and am wondering if there is anything else that this lovely community would suggest I take care of while I wait for camber bolts to arrive?
Hallucidini is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2020, 08:23 AM   #2
Jack
Add Lightness

Member#: 13699
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
not my president
(From General)

Well, by age and mileage, if you don't have proof that the following services have been done, they are overdue.

Timing belt, tensioner, water pump. This also takes care of the coolant.
Brake fluid.
rear diff fluid
transmission fluid (it goes into the diff)
serpentine belt
All hoses and vacuum lines
clutch fluid
Check ball joints, sway bar end links, tie rod ends.
Check cv axles and boots, drive shaft for play or blown out boots.
Check wheel bearings (a sore point on all Subarus and they can be a bear to get out)

I probably forgot a thing or two.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote