Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday September 24, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors > Non-Subaru News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2021, 01:24 PM   #1
AVANTI R5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 73805
Join Date: Nov 2004
Default GM Begins Telling Bolt Owners To Park In Isolated Spots



Quote:
General Motors urged some owners of Chevrolet Bolt electric cars to park and store the vehicles at least 50 feet away from other cars to reduce the risk that a spontaneous fire could spread. The Detroit automaker has recalled all of the roughly 142,000 Bolts sold since 2016 because the battery can catch on fire.

GM has taken a $1.8 billion charge so far for the cost of the recall and has been buying cars back from some disgruntled owners. The company expects to recoup much of the cost from battery supplier LG Corp.


https://www.autonews.com/manufacturi...way-other-cars

GM tells some Bolt owners to park 50 feet away from other cars
The new advice is likely to rankle owners who are already limiting their use of the Bolt to avoid overheating the battery and risking a fire.

General Motors urged some owners of Chevrolet Bolt electric cars to park and store the vehicles at least 50 feet away from other cars to reduce the risk that a spontaneous fire could spread.

The Detroit automaker has recalled all of the roughly 142,000 Bolts sold since 2016 because the battery can catch on fire. GM has taken a $1.8 billion charge so far for the cost of the recall and has been buying cars back from some disgruntled owners. The company expects to recoup much of the cost from battery supplier LG Corp.

The new advice is likely to rankle owners who are already limiting their use of the Bolt to avoid overheating the battery and risking a fire. The parking guidance -- recommending a distance of 50 feet from other parked cars -- is especially difficult for owners in urban areas. GM has confirmed 10 fires.

RELATED ARTICLE

Chevy Bolt owners live 'nightmare' awaiting battery-fire fix
The Bolt normally can go 259 miles on a charge, but that has been limited by GM's guidance to avoid a fire. The automaker told Bolt owners to limit the charge to 90 percent, plug in more frequently and avoid depleting the battery to below about 70 miles of remaining range. They're also advised to park their vehicles outside immediately after charging and not leave them charging indoors overnight.

The company will be telling Bolt owners who are concerned about parking in public places that it recommends keeping 50 feet from other cars in garages and lots, spokesman Dan Flores said.

GM has said the fires are a rare event and are the result of two uncommon defects that stem from a manufacturing problem in LG's plants in Michigan and South Korea.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by AVANTI R5; 09-16-2021 at 01:29 PM.
AVANTI R5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 09-16-2021, 01:32 PM   #2
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: www.testdrivemylife.com
Vehicle:
2020 JEEP / Ascent
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

Do not come in here with any EV hate. This has nothing to do with EV. It has to do with GM.

I am sure they had just as many Cobalts catch fire too..

ba da ting....
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 01:54 PM   #3
dwf137
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 161333
Join Date: Oct 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle
Vehicle:
18 Highlander
Yami XSR

Default

142,000 bolts sold. 10 fires. 0.007% of Bolts sold have caught on fire, but hey, everyone, EV is really bad. We should keep rolling coal instead.

But you know what's okay, 1/500 americans (0.2%) dying of a virus. Let's protect our damn freedoms!

This country is ****ed up.
dwf137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 01:59 PM   #4
4S-TURBO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 67807
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Flortlandia
Vehicle:
`v_` sideshows
and glock rounds

Default

If someone buys an EV I have the right to sue for them for damages.
4S-TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 02:23 PM   #5
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: www.testdrivemylife.com
Vehicle:
2020 JEEP / Ascent
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwf137 View Post
142,000 bolts sold. 10 fires. 0.007% of Bolts sold have caught on fire, but hey, everyone, EV is really bad. We should keep rolling coal instead.

But you know what's okay, 1/500 americans (0.2%) dying of a virus. Let's protect our damn freedoms!

This country is ****ed up.
we live in a litigious society.
It is not that 10 fires is a meaningful number. It is that they know about it now so they have to take action.

Nobody sues anybody if somebody catches Covid and dies. So that explains the recall.

Also, never forget, I came in here to defend EV... not indict them.

This is not an EV issue, this is a GM issue.
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 02:25 PM   #6
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: www.testdrivemylife.com
Vehicle:
2020 JEEP / Ascent
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

in all fairness. 99.8% of Americans survive the virus before vaccines.
99.9% of Americans survive the virus after. Really, absolutely no reason to get any vaccine. This issue has been so politicized all logic and reason has escaped. My work is making me get one. So I will. End of story, but if I had a choice, I would not.
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 02:32 PM   #7
Sid03SVT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 183032
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
RWD Camry
Pull me over red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
we live in a litigious society.
It is not that 10 fires is a meaningful number. It is that they know about it now so they have to take action.

Nobody sues anybody if somebody catches Covid and dies. So that explains the recall.

Also, never forget, I came in here to defend EV... not indict them.

This is not an EV issue, this is a GM issue.
Also an LG problem, as the Bolt uses LG batteries & components, which is where the risk of fire comes from.

Whether it's on GM for pushing LG to hit a target price, or if LG just has bad QA/QC and/or batter chemistry is yet to be known, I'm leaning towards LG being the problem as other batteries of theirs are being recalled for fire risks:
https://www.greentechmedia.com/artic...-fire-concerns

We'll see how it shakes out over the coming weeks/months. Sucks to be a bolt owner right now if you have to commute daily though.
Sid03SVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 02:34 PM   #8
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: www.testdrivemylife.com
Vehicle:
2020 JEEP / Ascent
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

I did not know that about LG batteries.. good info..
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 03:00 PM   #9
Pre
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 139693
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4S-TURBO View Post
If someone buys an EV I have the right to sue for them for damages.


LMMFAO!
Pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 03:16 PM   #10
dwf137
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 161333
Join Date: Oct 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle
Vehicle:
18 Highlander
Yami XSR

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
Nobody sues anybody if somebody catches Covid and dies.
That's not true, there are pending lawsuits on the books already regarding exposure to Covid. Guaranteed to be more because as you note, we live in a litigious society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
This is not an EV issue, this is a GM issue.
It's an LG manufacturing issue. If you read the article, it states that GM expects to recoup most of the money from LG.
dwf137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 03:20 PM   #11
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: www.testdrivemylife.com
Vehicle:
2020 JEEP / Ascent
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwf137 View Post
That's not true, there are pending lawsuits on the books already regarding exposure to Covid. Guaranteed to be more because as you note, we live in a litigious society.


It's an LG manufacturing issue. If you read the article, it states that GM expects to recoup most of the money from LG.
Again a litigious society. I bet this has as much to do with GM penny pinching as it does LG. Expect counter suits... because we live in a litig... well **** you know the rest.
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 03:29 PM   #12
dwf137
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 161333
Join Date: Oct 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle
Vehicle:
18 Highlander
Yami XSR

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
Again a litigious society. I bet this has as much to do with GM penny pinching as it does LG. Expect counter suits... because we live in a litig... well **** you know the rest.
The same issue is happening in Hyundai EV's too. It's not a GM problem. It's an LG problem.
dwf137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 04:57 PM   #13
FaastLegacy
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 11671
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
in all fairness. 99.8% of Americans survive the virus before vaccines.
99.9% of Americans survive the virus after. Really, absolutely no reason to get any vaccine. This issue has been so politicized all logic and reason has escaped. My work is making me get one. So I will. End of story, but if I had a choice, I would not.
You really need to view those statistics in the context of your personal health situation. If you're above 40 with a few comorbidities, your chance of dying from COVID is significantly higher than .2%. The morgues are full of people who quoted these stats without comprehending what they actually mean.
FaastLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 05:09 PM   #14
juanmedina
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 133146
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SC
Vehicle:
07 FPgreen [email protected]
WRX VF39+E85 12.0, 121mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwf137 View Post
The same issue is happening in Hyundai EV's too. It's not a GM problem. It's an LG problem.
there is other companies that use the LG cells is also a pack design and BTMS issue. How can they validate the pack without validating the cells? Nikola first and now this... GM

Last edited by juanmedina; 09-16-2021 at 08:44 PM.
juanmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:16 PM   #15
godfather2112
Papi Chulo
Moderator
 
Member#: 53794
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Boner kill city
Vehicle:
... 2017 BMW M2
2017 F-150

Default

If this turns into a covid discussion, I'm breaking out the paddle and issuing points.
godfather2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:05 PM   #16
K3rm1tth3fr0g
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 508105
Join Date: Nov 2019
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Vehicle:
2002 Black WRX Wagon
VF39 + 4.44 5MT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
in all fairness. 99.8% of Americans survive the virus before vaccines.
99.9% of Americans survive the virus after. Really, absolutely no reason to get any vaccine. This issue has been so politicized all logic and reason has escaped. My work is making me get one. So I will. End of story, but if I had a choice, I would not.
Wrong tho.

COVID kills over 1% of people it Infects in the USA.
K3rm1tth3fr0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:16 PM   #17
JP Chestnut
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 504432
Join Date: Jul 2019
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfather2112 View Post
If this turns into a covid discussion, I'm breaking out the paddle and issuing points.


Quote:
Originally Posted by K3rm1tth3fr0g View Post
Wrong tho.

COVID kills over 1% of people it Infects in the USA.
Points just for the **** grammar and spelling.
JP Chestnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:28 PM   #18
4S-TURBO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 67807
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Flortlandia
Vehicle:
`v_` sideshows
and glock rounds

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfather2112 View Post
If this turns into a covid discussion, I'm breaking out the paddle and issuing points.
I tried abortion.
4S-TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 11:15 PM   #19
dwf137
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 161333
Join Date: Oct 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle
Vehicle:
18 Highlander
Yami XSR

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfather2112 View Post
If this turns into a covid discussion, I'm breaking out the paddle and issuing points.
my bad. just trying to draw parallels and put things into perspective...
dwf137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:09 AM   #20
godfather2112
Papi Chulo
Moderator
 
Member#: 53794
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Boner kill city
Vehicle:
... 2017 BMW M2
2017 F-150

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
Points just for the **** grammar and spelling.
Paddle was busted out
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwf137 View Post
my bad. just trying to draw parallels and put things into perspective...
Itís fine. Just donít continue it
godfather2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:59 AM   #21
Pre
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 139693
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default

You know how much condoms used to cost back in them days? I don't know..we didn't use them
Pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:00 AM   #22
mhoward1
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 9481
Join Date: Aug 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: FFR Challenge #43
Vehicle:
1832 Steam Buggy
Wood

Default

From what I have read the issue is misalignment inside the cell. The issue has shown up in cells from different factories. It has also shown up in different cars for different manufacturers. LG may loose billions over this.
mhoward1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:05 PM   #23
Genericuser1
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 378822
Join Date: Jan 2014
Vehicle:
2021 Supra 3.0 Prem.
Nitro Yellow

Default

Even though it's an LG Chem issue it still has bad Optics for GM and BEVs in general.

Even though it's a low percentage what is the percentage of other vehicles that spontaneously combust? Betting it's a good bit lower.

My contribution to lower emissions is riding a motorcycle. Going to pick up a second bike, sub 400cc's for even better emissions. We could reduce a lot of emissions and traffic if more people got on two wheels.
Genericuser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:21 PM   #24
dwf137
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 161333
Join Date: Oct 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle
Vehicle:
18 Highlander
Yami XSR

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genericuser1 View Post
My contribution to lower emissions is riding a motorcycle. Going to pick up a second bike, sub 400cc's for even better emissions. We could reduce a lot of emissions and traffic if more people got on two wheels.
Fuel consumption only. Motorcycles are actually pretty terrible emitters of pollutants because they have fewer emissions control systems. Various studies showed they're worse than large pickup trucks overall.
dwf137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 02:12 PM   #25
oct1285
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 64665
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: WA
Vehicle:
1997 Toyota
Blurple

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
in all fairness. 99.8% of Americans survive the virus before vaccines.
99.9% of Americans survive the virus after. Really, absolutely no reason to get any vaccine. This issue has been so politicized all logic and reason has escaped. My work is making me get one. So I will. End of story, but if I had a choice, I would not.
You're right, lets go get some horse dewormer instead. And who cares if hospitals are at capacity, am I right? Who cares if people are dying even though their death was preventable, it's only a small portion of the population. We can always crank out more babies.

Also, GM still sucks, what's new.
oct1285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.