Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday April 25, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-18-2017, 10:49 PM   #1
2slofouru
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 90539
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
My BOV goes
COVFEFE!

OMGHi2U What's the largest intercooler you've seen fitted on 93-01 imprezas?

I'm running a fmic that almost takes up the entire opening of my 97L style bumper, and the beam has been cut leaving only the top metal layer, with the intercooler bolted directly to the bottom. It's a solid setup and there are two straps that go from the bottom of the intercooler to conveniently located threaded holes in the bottom of the front frame. This intercooler is too small to support my power goals, with 2.5 ID inlet/outlets and 3" thickness.

The goal is to find the largest core that can be fit without being below the bumper cover and risking road damage. The car isn't low, but I'd rather not risk damaging it with daily driving. I am willing to cut all of the center of the beam out to allow the cooler to reach just under the top of the bumper cover, that will allow 10.5-11" in height. I'm wondering if one of the kits for the 02-07 that include an aluminum beam/bracket will work by adjusting mounting holes to match the car's. I'm not sure how different the intercooler piping is either, have never tried to fit one up.

I'm running a one piece 2.5i manifold pointing back and the inlet will be going under it, similar to stock but with a huge filter.

Maybe someone has fitted up a GD kit to a pre 02 impreza or knows someone who has. I can't seem to find any solid info. I'd be willing to get a good quality GD kit if it needed only minor modifications to fit. The crap fmic kit I bought that was supposedly "bolt on" needed piping modded in several places to fit in the front. I don't have local access to quality welders so the idea is to find something I can install cleanly with hand and power tools.

Thanks for any help
2slofouru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2017, 04:36 PM   #2
atm0706
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 279219
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
02 WRX, 06 STi
PSM, WRB

what is your power goal?

I decided to get an AWIC mounted in the TMIC location. They can support a lot of power, take up less space, and keep your throttle response up and lag down. You can get an awic with a 1000hp core and its still the same size or smaller than the oem tmic. Just something to think about, sorry to not be much help otherwise.
atm0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:42 PM   #3
2slofouru
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
My BOV goes
COVFEFE!

The way they work is cool, but I don't want the extra components to worry about malfunctioning. The car is already so tight under the hood and I'd still have to run a heat exchanger up front for the setup and the hoses for coolant and wire and mount the pump. I'd rather a simple front mount, the piping is the only headache. Thanks for the input though, just not the way I want it set up.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:27 PM   #4
kaos200
Scooby Guru

Member#: 2692
Chapter/Region: SCIC

How much power are you making? Are you already heating up that large of an intercooler?
kaos200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:51 PM   #5
2slofouru
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
My BOV goes
COVFEFE!

I don't want the intercooler being the bottleneck and want as much heat removed as possible. Surely there are people running larger ones than the cheapies easy to find. I'm considering the Perrin designed for the 02-07, shouldn't be too much fabrication. The main issue will be the piping since the turbo is going to be a tight fit, especially if it ends up being an FP XR Black.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:42 PM   #6
O_g_meatz
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 434304
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2000 Impreza RS
White

Default Mine (02-07 Perrin Front Mount)

I know this thread is somewhat old, but I thought I'd throw in my $0.02. I am nearing "completion" (if there is such a thing) of my 06 STI swap into a 2000 RS coupe. I ran the Perrin 02-07 front mount and used the associated charge piping to plumb it. It can be done. But it is not easy. I will say though, it looks MEAN. The intercooler extends beyond the front bumper's opening, on all sides.
O_g_meatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:01 PM   #7
2slofouru
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
My BOV goes
COVFEFE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by O_g_meatz View Post
I know this thread is somewhat old, but I thought I'd throw in my $0.02. I am nearing "completion" (if there is such a thing) of my 06 STI swap into a 2000 RS coupe. I ran the Perrin 02-07 front mount and used the associated charge piping to plumb it. It can be done. But it is not easy. I will say though, it looks MEAN. The intercooler extends beyond the front bumper's opening, on all sides.
Cool deal. I bought a Perrin fmic new back then but without the charge piping because even the "bolt on" pipes I had for the old setup sucked and had to be severely modded. I'd hate to butcher a pricey perrin pipe set, and am trying to see how many silicone couplers can be eliminated and possibly vband flanged instead. The goal is to eliminate as many fittings that will expand under pressure to reduce any bit of lag possible and also reduce turbulence.

I still haven't had the chance to fab it up to the car but it may fit under my cut front beam. If not, I will have to cut the center of the beam out to raise the fmic up a little.

Do you have any pics of yours without the bumper? Where did you decide to attach the fmic and did you use the Perrin tabs or cut them off?

Thanks for the bump, I'd already unsubscribed for the lack of posts, but saw it just now in a new post search.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:45 AM   #8
O_g_meatz
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 434304
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2000 Impreza RS
White

I do have pictured but have yet to figure out how to post them. I ended up cutting the tabs off and mounting it with the long side (w/removed tabs) on the bottom. I know that isnt doing my charge pipe lengths any favors, but they're no longer than what perrin would sell an 02-07 owner.
O_g_meatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:44 PM   #9
2slofouru
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
My BOV goes
COVFEFE!

Why did you mount it pipe end down, was it for mounting ease or to clear the fog lights area? If the pics are on your computer, you can add them to the post. There is a paper clip attachment icon above the post box and you can upload images with it.