Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday March 20, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
New England Subaru Impreza Club
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > New England Impreza Club Forum -- NESIC > NESIC Private Classifieds

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-18-2019, 06:39 PM   #1
dansut
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 37243
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
WR Blue

Unhappy Salvage 04 WRX Wagon WRB, Burlington VT - online auction 2019-Feb-28 SOLD

Following an incident with a deer last November what is left of my 2004 WRX Wagon is going to be up for grabs.

This might be a bit of an odd one, but I'd like to see parts end up in deserving hands so posting here as a kind of public service more than anything else, I don't expect to make much, if any, money out of this.

The car wreck will be being auctioned by IAA Auctions near Burlington VT and to make things even more complicated this location does not hold public auctions, so you will need to persuade them you are trade or find someone who is to purchase this from them. IAA do have online bidding facilities so you do not need to be present at time of auction but you do need an account that you need to pay for to bid - I'm presuming an interested buyer here would know someone who has an account, or a trader that is willing to buy to part out or something...? A lot of assumptions but if you know someone in upstate VT that parts out Subarus then they probably will have the means - please pass on the word if you don't think they check in here that regularly. I'm not on FB or any other Impreza forums so any useful spreading of the word and link to auction site appreciated

Auction details including pictures of what can be bid on can be found here.

Information that could be interesting:
  • Shell has done 152,039 miles - some rust but not terrible, probably still not worth repairing as deer was hit pretty hard and drivers pillar has kink at bottom.
  • Engine had short block and turbo replaced under warranty by Subaru @ 58K, had timing belt (water pump, etc) done last year at 146,804.
    I've been pretty religious with service and my guess is that it should come out virtually unscathed from this mess.
    New oil pan less than 1000 miles old, radiator was new then too but that is toast. Grimmspeed turbo heat shield.
  • Wheels are 17" Prodrive P1s with 225/45R17 Hankook Venta V12s.
    Rims are straight and free of gouges and scuffs but paint has seen better days and center caps missing.
    Tires are in good condition with plenty of miles left on them.
  • Exhaust is Grimmspeed catless uppipe and divorced downpipe, after that is 3" stainless by Lou's, with resonator where cat was and straight through muffler at rear - loud but not obnoxious.
  • Interior is OK no rips but this was my daily driver for 10+ years so far from immaculate.
    Subaru guagepack and auto-dim mirror with compass; original factory options.
    Roll up parcel shelf is in hatch as are rear headrests, both almost unused as have been in garage not on car.
  • Suspension stock but with new rear struts less than 1000 miles old.
  • Brakes stock other than braided hoses but had new rotors and calipers all round less than 1200 miles ago.
ECU has a conservative open source tune just to deal with divorced down pipe, it was running beautifully and I was re-falling in love with this car as it had moved from being my daily driver to being semi-retired and getting some work done to fix her up as she moved into her twilight years

I'm over 3 hours away from where the vehicle sits and retrieving to part out myself, or even visiting again, makes little uneconomic sense hence why I'm letting the Insurance companies auction yard sell even though I bought it back from them ($600). Because of this I'm not really in a position to find out any more exact details of the car I don't already have, or take any more pictures, but will try and answer as many questions as people have about this car here or via PM. I also have a folder of all receipts and other details about the car that can be passed on, or scanned, to anyone who is interested.

To be 100% clear the car is to be auctioned by IAA on Thursday, February 21st28th and at this point cannot be bought directly from me! I just want to see its usable parts get to good homes.

I do have an unused car cover for this in the Lakes Region of NH that probably won't cost a fortune to ship if anyone can use and wants to make me an offer that isn't too insulting.

Cheers
/dan

Last edited by dansut; 03-01-2019 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Clarify title to avoid wasting anyones time, fix link
dansut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2019, 07:30 AM   #2
dansut
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
WR Blue

Default More details on auction timing

A few more details from the auction house IAA Burlington VT.

Car has stock# 24533322, and a run# of 3025 tomorrow 2019-Feb-2128.

The local auction guy reckons this should see it being bid on around 11am EST - I'll update here if for any reason it doesn't sell and gets relisted.

Last edited by dansut; 02-27-2019 at 10:42 AM. Reason: fix link
Old 02-20-2019, 10:41 PM   #3
Snowphun
Scooby Guru
Member Sales Rating: (44)

Member#: 1800

This was a New England car for most of it's life? Anyone buying a wagon would be nuts to do so without inspecting the rear strut towers, they are likely swiss cheese. Interested to see what it ends up selling for, I suspect under $1k.
Snowphun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:29 AM   #4
dansut
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
WR Blue

Default Shell is basically worthless in my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowphun View Post
This was a New England car for most of it's life? Anyone buying a wagon would be nuts to do so without inspecting the rear strut towers, they are likely swiss cheese. Interested to see what it ends up selling for, I suspect under $1k.
It certainly was a New England car and was definitely used throughout our wonderful winters and road salting, it has specifically taken me on many snowboarding trips when most people stay at home

The strut tower towers actually aren't that bad though, as we inspected them when we replaced the struts last year. I can't say the same for the rear arches though and my intention was to get something done about them this year. That info is besides the point though as the shell is basically toast/worthless in my mind - not worth repairing unless you are really into that kind of thing

Any worth in this car would be through parting it out, as detailed above there are a bunch of parts on this car that are probably worth something to someone out there - and if someone had the desire you could probably fake a beater WRX wagon, or use for a kit/custom donor running gear ... if bidding for it gets anywhere near $1000 then I shall be a happy man - I'm just trying to recoup my losses from this deer incident that lost me a car that I drove most days for 10 years and loved

We should find out soon though as the auction is happening today!
Old 02-21-2019, 04:36 PM   #5
dansut
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
WR Blue

Lightbulb Didn't make reserve, relisting

OK, high bid at this mornings auction was $325 - and high bidder offered $375 after auction was done.

It doesn't cost me to re-list another time, so given that I bought back from my insurance company, after they totaled it, for $600, and will have fees to pay, I'm gonna do that.

In hindsight I shouldn't have bought it back, but at that point I thought $600 was cheap $ just for parts on the car, and I was under the illusion I would have the time to retrieve and part out - we live and learn

The next live trade auction will be next Thursday 2019-Feb-28.

My contact there said there's also a possibility of putting it up on a Buy It Now online site - so if someone here is willing to pick up wreck from Burlington VT but doesn't have trade creds to do auction then make me an offer in a PM and we'll see if we can work something out.

Cheers
/dan

Last edited by dansut; 02-27-2019 at 10:40 AM. Reason: fix link
Old 02-27-2019, 10:46 AM   #6
dansut
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
WR Blue

Next live auction for this car is tomorrow, 28th February - there is also a Buy It Now price of $800 up for anyone that feels like they don't want to do the auction thing now and thinks that is a fair price... basically just covers my costs.