Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday March 23, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > FA Series Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-11-2019, 07:33 PM   #76
noobultimatum
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 431550
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
ALL THE STAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobie_Newbie_916 View Post
instead of gradually taking my time lol....
This has been my life for about 3 years now. Everytime i look at my stash of parts i get anxious. I have all my parts and built short block to just jump from stage 1 to way past stage 2. Excitement is in-containable, to say the least.
noobultimatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2019, 10:30 PM   #77
Scoobie_Newbie_916
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 497530
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium 6MT
Pearl White

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobultimatum View Post
This has been my life for about 3 years now. Everytime i look at my stash of parts i get anxious. I have all my parts and built short block to just jump from stage 1 to way past stage 2. Excitement is in-containable, to say the least.
Lol ya I feel ya bro, I drove the damn car for 4 days before the Alternator harness shorted out due to rat damage......WTF......The Dumb ass Technician at the dealership obviously dropped the ball on his multi point used car inspection.........The dealership gave me a 2019 XTS ****ing thing is like a damn grandpa boat ......0-60 In.....Um.....Holy crap this things slow ......

I just want my stock scooby back .......Then straight to a Stage 2 91 Tune and or E30 Tune .......

Another buddy at work has a 2013 Audi A6 3.0 Supercharged .......I'm hoping to blow his doors off......Well until he decides to Stage 2 his Audi....lol.......
Scoobie_Newbie_916 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:19 PM   #78
noobultimatum
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
ALL THE STAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobie_Newbie_916 View Post
Lol ya I feel ya bro, I drove the damn car for 4 days before the Alternator harness shorted out due to rat damage......WTF......The Dumb ass Technician at the dealership obviously dropped the ball on his multi point used car inspection.........The dealership gave me a 2019 XTS ****ing thing is like a damn grandpa boat ......0-60 In.....Um.....Holy crap this things slow ......

I just want my stock scooby back .......Then straight to a Stage 2 91 Tune and or E30 Tune .......

Another buddy at work has a 2013 Audi A6 3.0 Supercharged .......I'm hoping to blow his doors off......Well until he decides to Stage 2 his Audi....lol.......
If you want to just gap most people, maybe grab a short block from iAG from the get go. Wont have to worry about rods when you push 400whp/wtq.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:38 PM   #79
Scoobie_Newbie_916
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 497530
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium 6MT
Pearl White

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobultimatum View Post
If you want to just gap most people, maybe grab a short block from iAG from the get go. Wont have to worry about rods when you push 400whp/wtq.
I'm not dropping 4k into a short block right now I want to get some use out of this thing first, If I get my bonus in Sep I will build it then.....

And I am only planning on running the Stage 2 91 Tune HP:310 TQ:330 As a Daily Drive Tune

And then Switch to the Stage 2 E30 periodically HP:344 TQ:354

If this car is @ 210 At the wheels I cant wait to feel 100 HP Gain .....That's ridiculous!!!! On 91

Last edited by Scoobie_Newbie_916; 02-12-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Scoobie_Newbie_916 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:37 PM   #80
Mike1Juliet
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 486921
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2018 WRX
Dark Gray Metallic

Quote:
Cobb flex fuel kit
what does this exactly do? Does it allow you to switch fuels on the fly without having to constantly reflash the tune? Will it "swap tunes" for you?
Mike1Juliet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:08 PM   #81
adam99
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 480524
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1Juliet View Post
what does this exactly do? Does it allow you to switch fuels on the fly without having to constantly reflash the tune? Will it "swap tunes" for you?
You can change fuels on the fly. It is a single tune that has different tables for different ethanol contents. The ethanol content analyzer reads ethanol percentage and the tune adjusts the tables for whatever that percentage may be.
adam99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:18 PM   #82
Mike1Juliet
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 486921
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2018 WRX
Dark Gray Metallic

Thats very interesting. So how exactly does it work? Is it a special part that I have to install or is it software through my cobb AP? can I still get the full benefit of my stage 1 OTS tune through the same AP?

Sometimes 93 octane is either expensive or just unavailable. Near me Stewarts gas stations offer 91 but no 93, however their 91 is ethanol free unlike other gas stations. How does it handle blends of fuel and stuff for example filling 93 with some 91?
Mike1Juliet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:44 PM   #83
violentleaf
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 432126
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Galaxy Blue

https://www.cobbtuning.com/products/...-wrx-2015-2019

Take a look at the product page. This sensor just reads ethanol content for when users add e85 (up to 85% ethanol) to their tank. The properties of ethanol allow tuning for more power, but running that tune with lower than expected ethanol content can lead to engine damage, hence this sensor.
violentleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:39 AM   #84
Norskie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 454461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1Juliet View Post
Thats very interesting. So how exactly does it work? Is it a special part that I have to install or is it software through my cobb AP? can I still get the full benefit of my stage 1 OTS tune through the same AP?

Sometimes 93 octane is either expensive or just unavailable. Near me Stewarts gas stations offer 91 but no 93, however their 91 is ethanol free unlike other gas stations. How does it handle blends of fuel and stuff for example filling 93 with some 91?
Your WRX runs great on E10 91 or 93 - better then E0 in my opinion. You can put straight E10 in there no problem, regardless of OTS 91/93 tune.

When we're talking about ethanol blends here, we're talking about E30-E50 blends. A four/five gallons of E85 and the rest E10 91/94. The challenge is that E85 blends vary in actual ethanol content - the pumps will frequently say "51-85%". In my neck of the woods it is 75% at one particular pump (I haven't tested the others).

There are ways of testing the Ethanol content of your fuel - the kits cost about $20, it's a vial you fill with a certain amount of water, then the rest fuel, shake it and wait 30 seconds and see where the water separates out and the markings on the vial indicate the ehtanol content.

That's where the FF kit comes in handy. You get to a station with 51% E and mix it up and then you're below your target. The FF kit allows the ECU to adjust to a fuel map suitable for what you've got in the tank.

To do so, you will need both the flex fuel kit ($500+) and a custom tune ($350+). The tuner may require a different fuel pump as well ... our OEM pumps are good for up to about 40-50% ethanol or so. Our cars are sold in countries like Brazil where the minimum content is 27% and it seems to do well there. Note that it's better to run MORE ethanol that your tune expects, although when you get too high your fuel pump won't get the lubrication it needs or it won't be able to pump enough.

There is a $100 DIY FF option. But you'll still need a custom tune. Without a custom tune you can monitor the E% on your AP but you can't use it to do anything.

The alternative is just run an OTS map for E30, like from MAPerformance (no FF kit or fuel pump). They've created the map to run on 25-50% ethanol with conservative power vs. a custom tune. This is what I do, and I can do it with piece of mind because a local station dispenses E30 (actually 35% ethanol) and I carry the AP with me to go back to a 91/93 map if I can't find E85 to blend.

Note that you're voiding all sorts of warranties here - the AP, the > 10% ethanol, etc. Also, you'll be getting close to the theoretical 350tq limit of our rods.

No matter how to you do it, the power gains are impressive. Seat of the pants, with just the E30 OTS tune, it fells about as fast my stage 1 N54, but still not as fast as the Stinger GT.
Norskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:23 AM   #85
noobultimatum
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
ALL THE STAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norskie View Post
Note that it's better to run MORE ethanol that your tune expects, although when you get too high your fuel pump won't get the lubrication it needs or it won't be able to pump enough.
emphasis here, as you explained previously, that the Flex Fuel kit eliminates this "gamble".

Just pump an estimate for your mix, and run it. The kit will do the appropriate adjustments via the tune tables. Anything out side of the Flex Fuel kit leaves the user to "gamble" (although, there are clearly some safe margins that give the user some wiggle room) their fuel mix.

Bottom line:
If someone is interested in more power for cheap, and does NOT mind doing the mixing themselves (like norskie)... then a simple DIY kit and tune is all you need.

If someone does not want to worry so much about pre-meditated mixing, then the Flex Fuel kit is where it's at. Granted, much more expensive option... but the end user does not have to stress at all about whats in the tank (to some degree at least).

Considering the rods being a weak point, upgrading the rods/built shortblock may be worth it for those wanting more than the "standard limit" of 350 wtq.. Flex Fuel can easily put down more power, given the right mods, than 350 wtq. Its pretty awesome what this platform can do.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:14 PM   #86
OMGZombaru
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 438466

You all are spending way to much time replying to a thread about a kid wanting a faster car than his buddies Civic...

The answer is always nitrous.

This is sarcasm, don't do nitrous, or anything, maybe the AP, but its brand new and you should chill on modding a new car if the word "budget" is something you care about.
OMGZombaru is offline   Reply With Quote