Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-08-2020, 12:45 PM   #326
djkev
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 513207

Hi everyone.
I am looking to purchase the steering whee controls. When I search that product number, all that shows up is the link to this thread.
Is this a Subaru part or after market? Thanks
djkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2020, 10:02 PM   #327
The Grey
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 510339

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildDorito View Post
I've also been on the hunt for a while with my 18 STI (w/ HK), a video tutorial on the wiring would be the most amazing thing. Would definitely reboot my interest in swapping the headunit.
Same for me! 2017 STI with Harmon Kardon and CarPlay has never worked!
The Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:00 PM   #328
yizk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 438030

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkev View Post
Hi everyone.
I am looking to purchase the steering whee controls. When I search that product number, all that shows up is the link to this thread.
Is this a Subaru part or after market? Thanks

Headunit: 86431VA620
USB Hub: 86257SJ131
Steering Wheel Controls: 83154VA300
yizk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:59 PM   #329
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 490337

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grey View Post
Same for me! 2017 STI with Harmon Kardon and CarPlay has never worked!
Do you mean that you swapped your 2017 HK head unit for a 2019 HK head unit? And then it doesn’t work?
brettjson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:16 AM   #330
Subie Muchacho
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 490151
Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjson View Post
Do you mean that you swapped your 2017 HK head unit for a 2019 HK head unit? And then it doesn’t work?
Gotta be careful when buying the correct HU from the 2019 for a 2016/2017/2018 HK/Nav WRX/STI. It appears that all 2019 HUs are made by HK but only the top tier HUs (w/ Nav) are the actual “HK” units that work with the HK sound system and STARLINK. The trick here is figuring out exactly which part number that is to be apples-to-apples with a USDM 2018 HK/Nav STI (in my case). Looking up on Subaru parts websites gives me mixed results and more than one part number shows up as being “compatible”. If someone here knows what is the part number for the aforementioned HU then please do share. Thanks.
Subie Muchacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:23 AM   #331
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie Muchacho View Post
Gotta be careful when buying the correct HU from the 2019 for a 2016/2017/2018 HK/Nav WRX/STI. It appears that all 2019 HUs are made by HK but only the top tier HUs (w/ Nav) are the actual “HK” units that work with the HK sound system and STARLINK. The trick here is figuring out exactly which part number that is for USDM 2018 HK/Nav STI (in my case). Looking up on Subaru parts websites gives me mixed results and more than one part number shows up as being “compatible”. If someone here knows what is the part number for the aforementioned HU then please do share. Thanks.
Yes, excellent point. My understanding is that if you have 16-18 HK you have to have a 2019 Nav unit to make the amp in the trunk works. I think these are the correct part numbers:

2019 HK with Nav: 86471VA610
2019 headunit without HK amp in trunk: 86431VA620

I am also wondering about the importance of Starlink. I have a 2016 Limited with HK/Nav. These were before the starlink telemetry module. I still have that 8 pin connector on the back of the radio that is now a 12 pin on the 2019. Someone had mentioned that they just connected the 8 pin plug into the 12 pin connector. Can someone elaborate on that. Which pins were left unconnected?
Old 04-29-2020, 09:28 AM   #332
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 265148
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie Muchacho View Post
Gotta be careful when buying the correct HU from the 2019 for a 2016/2017/2018 HK/Nav WRX/STI. It appears that all 2019 HUs are made by HK but only the top tier HUs (w/ Nav) are the actual “HK” units that work with the HK sound system and STARLINK. The trick here is figuring out exactly which part number that is to be apples-to-apples with a USDM 2018 HK/Nav STI (in my case). Looking up on Subaru parts websites gives me mixed results and more than one part number shows up as being “compatible”. If someone here knows what is the part number for the aforementioned HU then please do share. Thanks.
I still have yet to see a 2019 NAV radio pop up for sale so I can't confirm which of the 2 numbers subi lists is correct, but I know the 86431VA620 number shared above is te 7" radio with the PHONE button. Those are all over ebay.
protivakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:40 AM   #333
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazing55 View Post
alright guys so i finally got the steering wheel controls installed along with my carbon fiber steering wheel.

"http://s280.photobucket.com/user/blazing-55/embed/slideshow/

the controls work! Now everything is working as it was designed. as you can see the plugs are pretty much the same thing.

for the pic with the pink wire that is the starlink cable. all i did was move the pin to the first top left plug as you see. then i inserted the 8pin plug to the 12 plug behind the radio. (i know its not the same plug but it went in and it did the job of connecting it added some tape behind so it would not fall) I could not find a 12 plug anywhere so i could clip it in correctly but it worked. at Easiest way to install an aftermarket headunit on the 2019 Subaru WRX | Plug and Play - YouTube minute 18:16 he shows the plug. the blue wire is star link so that is what i did to match it.

so all is left to do is find a way for the radio to shut off after door is opened/closed. I read that the body integration ecu has to be replaced part# 88281-VA850. it cost about 221 bucks but defeats the purpose of the swap, I paid 250 for radio and 120 for steering wheel switches. If i find a cheap ecu Ill install it and get back to you guys. For now 3 minutes for it to shut off is not a big deal

every plug is plug and play including rear view camera
the pic with headunit from behind with yellow circle is where i plugged in usb cable works. both work. the red circle for plug is the star link plug i was talking about
Can you elaborate on this:

"then i inserted the 8pin plug to the 12 plug behind the radio. (i know its not the same plug but it went in and it did the job of connecting it added some tape behind so it would not fall) I could not find a 12 plug anywhere so i could clip it in correctly but it worked."

Did you plug it in dead center? Which pins were left open? Thank you.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:30 AM   #334
silvergc
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 211294

Hello,

I have a 2018 wrx Sport-tech with the the HK/NAV head unit(CAD SPEC). I picked up a 2019 wrx HK/NAV (pn=86471va710) and it plugged right in, it turns on, AA works using the original USB ports in the armrest, BT finds the phone, mic works but there is no audio.

Any ideas why?
silvergc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:27 AM   #335
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergc View Post
Hello,

I have a 2018 wrx Sport-tech with the the HK/NAV head unit(CAD SPEC). I picked up a 2019 wrx HK/NAV (pn=86471va710) and it plugged right in, it turns on, AA works using the original USB ports in the armrest, BT finds the phone, mic works but there is no audio.

Any ideas why?
Interesting. Could it have something to do the starlink telematics module? I think CAD spec don't have that. I remember there was something about the speakers are wired through that module in the US. Is your WRX US-spec?
Old 04-30-2020, 10:29 AM   #336
silvergc
Scooby Newbie

I have a CAD spec 2018 WRX.

Quote:
Interesting. Could it have something to do the starlink telematics module? I think CAD spec don't have that. I remember there was something about the speakers are wired through that module in the US. Is your WRX US-spec?
Old 04-30-2020, 10:50 AM   #337
Subie Muchacho
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 490151
Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Quote:
Hello,

Any ideas why?
From what’s been said in this thread, CAD cars don’t have Starlink but US cars do (except base WRX, I think). The front speakers are wired through the telematics unit (Starlink). So you don’t get any audio at all or just from the front Speakers? I think phone call sound comes out of the front speakers only but music/radio comes out of all speakers. You may have bought a USDM HU (maybe?)
Subie Muchacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:19 AM   #338
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

Silvergc, can you post pictures of the back of the headunit also?
Old 04-30-2020, 11:50 AM   #339
silvergc
Scooby Newbie

Default The back of MY18 HK HU and the MY19 HK HU

So I took a picture of the back of the MY18 HK HU and the MY19 HK HU.

According to the guy I got it from it came from a Canadian car.

https://imgur.com/gallery/afC0SGP

Quote:
Silvergc, can you post pictures of the back of the headunit also?
Old 04-30-2020, 01:21 PM   #340
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

Thank you for posting that. So you get no audio from any speaker at any time? Does that include phone calls and music via bluetooth or FM radio? How did you mate the 8-pin connector on the car to the 12-pin socket on the radio?
Old 04-30-2020, 03:01 PM   #341
silvergc
Scooby Newbie

Correct. No audio from phone calls, music via BT or radio. I just took the connectors as is and put them where they fit. I was assuming it was plug and play since i had a HK HU.

I include a picture of my wires. Which one is the 8 pin?

https://imgur.com/gallery/2oJWle3

Quote:
Thank you for posting that. So you get no audio from any speaker at any time? Does that include phone calls and music via bluetooth or FM radio? How did you mate the 8-pin connector on the car to the 12-pin socket on the radio?
Old 04-30-2020, 03:07 PM   #342
silvergc
Scooby Newbie

Correct. No audio from phone calls, music via BT or radio. I just took the connectors as is and put them where they fit. I was assuming it was plug and play since I had a HK HU already.

I included a picture of my wires. Which one is the 8 pin? Also i found a connector that was taped off, 4 wires. It stands out in the picture.(Red wire) Ill post a better one soon.

Quote:
Old 04-30-2020, 03:17 PM   #343
silvergc
Scooby Newbie

Here is that other taped off connector. Its actually three wires. Any idea what its for?

https://imgur.com/gallery/plBvoEZ

Quote:
Correct. No audio from phone calls, music via BT or radio. I just took the connectors as is and put them where they fit. I was assuming it was plug and play since I had a HK HU already.

I included a picture of my wires. Which one is the 8 pin? Also i found a connector that was taped off, 4 wires. It stands out in the picture.(Red wire) Ill post a better one soon.

Last edited by silvergc; 04-30-2020 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:50 PM   #344
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

Take a look at this photo:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gmvS7nzpNDphez2c6

Is that how you connected everything? The connector with the brown circle is the one I was talking about. It has 12 pins on the 2019 HU and 8 pins on yours. I don't see that connector in your picture on the dash. Did you connect it? I am not sure what this connector does but I think it may have something to do with turning the unit off after you turn off the car.

I also do not see in your picture where the GPS antenna connects into the headunit. That is the gray plug next to the orange circle on the picture. You had factory navigation correct? Do you have that gray connector?

As far as the red wire connector, I am not sure. Is it possible that is the connector that fits into the brown circle connector? It didn't look like it and it was taped off. It may have to do with the StarLink module (which I know the CAD don't have, but may be wired for). The reason I say that is you can by this StarLink bypass connector here and it looks similar to what you showed:
https://www.autoharnesshouse.com/69018.html
Old 04-30-2020, 04:51 PM   #345
silvergc
Scooby Newbie

brettjson,

I want to thank you for your help so far.

Yes that is how i connected everything and do have the GPS antenna. I do not have a connector that fits in that brown circle. I cannot find one. The HU does stay on for a bit after the car is turned off and doors are open. That is minor as it does turn off eventually.

For some reason the MY19 HU is not triggering the AMP. Would you know which one of those connectors communicates with the AMP?

Quote:
Take a look at this photo:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gmvS7nzpNDphez2c6

Is that how you connected everything? The connector with the brown circle is the one I was talking about. It has 12 pins on the 2019 HU and 8 pins on yours. I don't see that connector in your picture on the dash. Did you connect it? I am not sure what this connector does but I think it may have something to do with turning the unit off after you turn off the car.

I also do not see in your picture where the GPS antenna connects into the headunit. That is the gray plug next to the orange circle on the picture. You had factory navigation correct? Do you have that gray connector?

As far as the red wire connector, I am not sure. Is it possible that is the connector that fits into the brown circle connector? It didn't look like it and it was taped off. It may have to do with the StarLink module (which I know the CAD don't have, but may be wired for). The reason I say that is you can by this StarLink bypass connector here and it looks similar to what you showed:
https://www.autoharnesshouse.com/69018.html
Old 04-30-2020, 07:54 PM   #346
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

I agree with you. For some reason the headunit is not talking to the amp. On the non-HK unit the 6-pin and 10-pin (red circle) connectors sent the signal to the speakers.

For HK, based on the wiring diagram posted on the previous page, the headunit communicates with the amp via those connectors as well as the 28 pin connector (light blue circle).
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8g9ywJ7pMewUMmkt5

Those connectors have not changed 2018 to 2019 so was surprised it didn't work. But, the steering wheel connectors didn't change either, yet you need new steering wheel buttons so the signals changed. My fear is that the signal to the amp has changed with the new headunit.

Doing a little more digging, the actual amp (in the trunk) seems to have a new part number:
2016-2018: 86221VA030
2019: 86221VA050

My fear is that the amp will have to be changed to a 2019 as well. Maybe it is still on the salvage vehicle you got the headunit from?

I cannot verify, however, that the connectors will be the same on both the amps without looking at them.

The other connector is still a bit of a mystery. I don't know what that does. It is similar to the 8 pin on the back of the HU you pulled out. Was there nothing connected here when you removed your existing one (brown circle in pic).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dQDu65VTmWwhNst97

I think the best best at this point is to try to obtain the amp from a 2019 (86221VA050) and replace that.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:56 AM   #347
silvergc
Scooby Newbie

Ill try to get my hands on the AMP. Lets hope the connectors are the same. Hoping for a plug and play. I do not want to be splicing anything.

Regarding that mystery connector nothing was connected to it as well.

Quote:
I agree with you. For some reason the headunit is not talking to the amp. On the non-HK unit the 6-pin and 10-pin (red circle) connectors sent the signal to the speakers.

For HK, based on the wiring diagram posted on the previous page, the headunit communicates with the amp via those connectors as well as the 28 pin connector (light blue circle).
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8g9ywJ7pMewUMmkt5

Those connectors have not changed 2018 to 2019 so was surprised it didn't work. But, the steering wheel connectors didn't change either, yet you need new steering wheel buttons so the signals changed. My fear is that the signal to the amp has changed with the new headunit.

Doing a little more digging, the actual amp (in the trunk) seems to have a new part number:
2016-2018: 86221VA030
2019: 86221VA050

My fear is that the amp will have to be changed to a 2019 as well. Maybe it is still on the salvage vehicle you got the headunit from?

I cannot verify, however, that the connectors will be the same on both the amps without looking at them.

The other connector is still a bit of a mystery. I don't know what that does. It is similar to the 8 pin on the back of the HU you pulled out. Was there nothing connected here when you removed your existing one (brown circle in pic).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dQDu65VTmWwhNst97

I think the best best at this point is to try to obtain the amp from a 2019 (86221VA050) and replace that.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:16 AM   #348
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 265148
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
Hello,

Any ideas why?
I have to ask, where did you even find the 86471va710 head unit? I haven't seen one pop up. Any pics of the front? I See a **710 & **610 part number listed online and always wondered what the difference was.

As far as the amp, there is a chance it might have changed internally with the newer part number but I am doubting it would have changed where your current '18 wouldn't work. From what I've seen these things are pretty mix & match with even Toyota using a similar amp with the same connectors. Like the other guys said the steering wheel controls did seem to change without the wires changing so who knows.
protivakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:30 AM   #349
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

I agree these are very hard to come by. It must be that a small percentage of WRX's are sold HK/nav. It is absurd they cost over 2k to buy one from the factory. If anyone would like to sell one, PM me.

As far as the part numbers, I have a guess that the 6 vs the 7 is USDM and CAN spec (not 100% sure). Also interestingly is the 2020 seems to have a new part number with similar distinction.

2020 HK with nav:
86471VA630 (USDM?)
86471VA730 (CAN?)

From 2015 --> 2016 the amp got a new part number but I think the connectors were the same. And those were incompatible. So for 2018-->2019 my guess it is that it is the same. New part number, not backwards compatible, same connectors. I wish I knew what a pain in the A the HK was before I got my 2016.
Old 05-01-2020, 01:49 PM   #350
silvergc
Scooby Newbie

The exterior changes are minor like the knobs and the NFC icon under the power knob. However how it works its a lot better. Plus it has AA and Apple Car.

I got it off someone that pulled it from a wrecked 2019 WRX. I was unable to get the amplifier off it. So at the moment ill have to wait for another 2019 WRX/STI part out.

https://imgur.com/gallery/zqgyXfb