Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday June 2, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Proven Power Bragging

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2014, 11:06 AM   #126
Crystal_Imprezav
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 84105
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: I'm a Newbie
Vehicle:
2005 Super Slow STi
CGM

Default

Precision 6870: From my memory, wrote them down but dont have it in front of me.

Comp:
Ind: 68.003
Exd: 92.24

Turbine:
Ind: 78.84
Exd: 70.14
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Crystal_Imprezav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:11 AM   #127
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX - 750WHP
9.5s @ 150mph

Default

Let me know if you can confirm those numbers and I'll get it updated.
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 02:57 PM   #128
Shortpersonbk
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 319017
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Michigan
Vehicle:
15 Prius
2JZ miata Death Trap

Default

If you guys want to throw a turbo in that we dont know alot of info on that im on right now
Bullseye 68mm Batmowheel
Ind: 68
Exd: XX
Turbine..two options
option one
Ind: 80
Exd: 74
option two
Ind: 76
Exd: 68
Rated for 950hp..but no flow numbers released

Last edited by Shortpersonbk; 12-21-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Shortpersonbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:23 AM   #129
builder
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 179187
Join Date: May 2008
Default inducer exduces

Real nice job any body know aps sr40 compare to sr 55
builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:48 PM   #130
DirtModJunkie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 173428
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Orange County
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
Sonic Yellow

Default

Td04-19t?
DirtModJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:35 PM   #131
dlapham
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 350332
Join Date: Mar 2013
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Vehicle:
2004 Bone Stock* STi
*with supporting mods

Default

Steam claims on their site that their STX 20G-R is a 49LB turbo. It is listed here as 47.4 along with the other 20G turbos. Any idea on which is correct? What I find interesting, is that 49lb would put it in the same class as the Dom 1.5XTR, but with a bigger turbine (EG: GTX3067).
dlapham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:40 PM   #132
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX - 750WHP
9.5s @ 150mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlapham View Post
Steam claims on their site that their STX 20G-R is a 49LB turbo. It is listed here as 47.4 along with the other 20G turbos. Any idea on which is correct? What I find interesting, is that 49lb would put it in the same class as the Dom 1.5XTR, but with a bigger turbine (EG: GTX3067).
They don't have the ability to create compressor maps so it's all just a guess. Same for Blouch and many others. I can certainly update the list if that's what they're claiming though.
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:44 PM   #133
dlapham
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 350332
Join Date: Mar 2013
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Vehicle:
2004 Bone Stock* STi
*with supporting mods

Default

Here is the page, I got the info from. I will send them an email and double check.
http://steamturbochargers.com/index....ti-8cm-92.html

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using NASIOC mobile app
dlapham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:53 PM   #134
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX - 750WHP
9.5s @ 150mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlapham View Post
Here is the page, I got the info from. I will send them an email and double check.
http://steamturbochargers.com/index....ti-8cm-92.html

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using NASIOC mobile app
They're basically just saying they think it will make more power than a normal 20G due to the larger turbine wheel. In reality max flow rate on a compressor map would be independent of turbine pairing, so that wouldn't make a difference to the max flow rating of the wheel. But in practice it is likely that a larger hotside will allow for more top end power than a smaller one.
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:12 AM   #135
SteamSpeed.com
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 339860
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben View Post
They don't have the ability to create compressor maps so it's all just a guess. Same for Blouch and many others. I can certainly update the list if that's what they're claiming though.
I would assume that Blouch and others would be all over publishing compressor maps if they actually invested the capital in generating them, but it is actually very expensive to do real engineering like Garrett and the other big boys do. Maybe they have them but are too embarrassed to show them?

But what you said *was* true, in the past we had to just do our best to estimate our turbo's potential flow, but we have going well beyond that now days.

We are going systematically through our whole turbo lineup to build compressor maps and performance profiles through testing on a turbo gas bench just like Garrett and the other big boys do. We want you to be able to use our real compressor map data to design you builds around our turbos. You can check out our testing on our Steam STX 71. We started out with the Steam STX 71, because it is our most popular model. It was already making 400-425 WHP on our customers' cars, but we are doing the engineering work to make it better. With the super controlled environment of the gas bench, or turbo dyno, we are producing detailed compressor and turbine maps. Obviously the whole point is to improve our designs and make them even better.



Here is our Steam STX 71 getting hooked up to the hot side of the gas bench:


cold side hooked up.



You can see more pics here if you are interested.
SteamSpeed.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:19 AM   #136
Leafy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 330625
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
WRB

Default

If you used this data to make a bolt in subaru turbine housing that wasnt crappy I would be so happy. The gains that killer B is finding by just making an up pipe to use real garrett turbine housings in the stock locations are ridiculous.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:22 AM   #137
tebriel
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 244190
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Vehicle:
2004 WRB WRXes
Sedan and Wagon

Default

Leafy, do you have a link to that?
tebriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:23 AM   #138
Leafy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 330625
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebriel View Post
Leafy, do you have a link to that?
Not handy, the thread about it is in either PPB or the 2.5 section. Called spoolinator.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:38 AM   #139
Shortpersonbk
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 319017
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Michigan
Vehicle:
15 Prius
2JZ miata Death Trap

Default Turbo Spec Comparison Table (Wheel Sizes, Max Airflow, Bearings, Etc.)

That moment when you call out a well known and respected company..and there is only one decently well known member of the community running your product....nothing says I want your product more now lol.




Sent from my iPhone using NASIOC

Last edited by Shortpersonbk; 03-10-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Shortpersonbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:16 PM   #140
SteamSpeed.com
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 339860
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortpersonbk View Post
That moment when you call out a well known and respected company..
I meant no disrespect to Blouch Turbo. We know that Blouch has been around for a long time, and people have been successful with them.

I was simply pointing out that they don't supply compressor maps for any of their turbos to my knowledge but Garret for example does. I don't think anyone disagrees with that point. I've expressed an opinion why based on our experience engineering and building turbos.

Why do you think Blouch, FP, etc. don't have compressor maps for their turbos?
SteamSpeed.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:43 PM   #141
Shortpersonbk
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 319017
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Michigan
Vehicle:
15 Prius
2JZ miata Death Trap

Default Turbo Spec Comparison Table (Wheel Sizes, Max Airflow, Bearings, Etc.)

Neither do pte, bullseye ect.
I know bullseye has them but just doesn't release them. Not sure about ptes case though I'm sure they also have them.

Regardless only a very very very small handful of people could and care to actually interpret the data on the map, and in the stock location turbo range im sure the number plummets even more. The Subaru community as a whole just tends to latch to one thing and everyone does it. Yesterday everyone had to have a dom1.5, today everyone wants _____. All because one person will show good results and the sheep will follow people like results not hypothetical maps I will never care to learn how to read.

Is the data that comes from two machines even consistent like how every dyno also reads fairly inconsistently?

Sent from my iPhone using NASIOC
Shortpersonbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:50 PM   #142
ride5000
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 32792
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: lincoln, ri
Vehicle:
2003 GGA MBP
12.9 / 105+

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
If you used this data to make a bolt in subaru turbine housing that wasnt crappy I would be so happy. The gains that killer B is finding by just making an up pipe to use real garrett turbine housings in the stock locations are ridiculous.
+1000
ride5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:39 PM   #143
dlapham
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 350332
Join Date: Mar 2013
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Vehicle:
2004 Bone Stock* STi
*with supporting mods

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
If you used this data to make a bolt in subaru turbine housing that wasnt crappy I would be so happy. The gains that killer B is finding by just making an up pipe to use real garrett turbine housings in the stock locations are ridiculous.
Now I feel bad for stirring this up. For the record, I think that flow testing is great, and look forward to the results and more so the design changes and benefits. I am with Leafy, getting the results that killer-b is getting with the spoolinator and tial housing, but in a bolt on turbo that uses our existing downpipe, would just be... Game changing?

I would like to see a turbine housing that bolts to the stock flanged up and down pipes, but is designed from the beginning for EWG (no not talking about ATP style attached EWG either). The exit of the turbine could be a smooth taper (think reverse velocity stack) into the bellmouth downpipe. There would also be no iwg hole to cause flow disruption / turbulence.


Sent from my HTC6500LVW using NASIOC mobile app

Last edited by dlapham; 03-10-2015 at 11:48 PM.
dlapham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:54 AM   #144
SteamSpeed.com
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 339860
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortpersonbk View Post
Neither do pte, bullseye ect.
I know bullseye has them but just doesn't release them. Not sure about ptes case though I'm sure they also have them.

Regardless only a very very very small handful of people could and care to actually interpret the data on the map, and in the stock location turbo range im sure the number plummets even more. The Subaru community as a whole just tends to latch to one thing and everyone does it. Yesterday everyone had to have a dom1.5, today everyone wants _____. All because one person will show good results and the sheep will follow people like results not hypothetical maps I will never care to learn how to read.

Is the data that comes from two machines even consistent like how every dyno also reads fairly inconsistently?

Sent from my iPhone using NASIOC
I think you hit the nail on the head. Many people do buy whatever is popular/trendy from more established brands they are familiar with. I think we could come up with a few turbos from more than one brand that have been way over hyped and then fell flat eventually because they weren't engineered well. You can build and sell turbos based on hype, we choose to build and sell turbos based on solid engineering and not just hype.

Sure, an average owner may not know how to read a compressor map or do the required reading to properly design a turbo system; the compressor maps are not for them. They are for the tuners giving them advice, the builder they are paying to build their car, or for the experts on the forums to help out the newer members with less experience avoid mistakes.

We have been helping customers choose turbos and design their turbo systems for a while now, but our own custom designed Steam STX Turbochargers have been for sale for what, only little over a year now? Our turbos are still in the early adopter phase, but they have already proven to exceed expectations for the tuners we have worked with. We know our turbos are well designed and work. It is only a matter of time before the preponderance of results allow the average customer to try our new turbo models.

In the mean time, we continue to invest heavily in engineering better products that the incumbents'. We will still produce compressor maps, because the tuners, and innovators can read them, and that is how we make our products better. The other guys don't because their products are "good enough"... for them and sell well enough because they are well established brands.
SteamSpeed.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:02 AM   #145
SteamSpeed.com
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 339860
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default

Anyway, we finished compiling the initial results of testing our Steam STX 71 turbocharger. It exceeded our goals, but we have identified some ways from our testing to make it even better. As you can see from the compressor map, it can already flow ~60 lbs/min.



Here is the STX 71 compressor map overlaid with the Garrett GTX3071R for reference.



Check out our blog post for info.
SteamSpeed.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:07 AM   #146
SteamSpeed.com
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 339860
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlapham View Post
Now I feel bad for stirring this up. For the record, I think that flow testing is great, and look forward to the results and more so the design changes and benefits. I am with Leafy, getting the results that killer-b is getting with the spoolinator and tial housing, but in a bolt on turbo that uses our existing downpipe, would just be... Game changing?

I would like to see a turbine housing that bolts to the stock flanged up and down pipes, but is designed from the beginning for EWG (no not talking about ATP style attached EWG either). The exit of the turbine could be a smooth taper (think reverse velocity stack) into the bellmouth downpipe. There would also be no iwg hole to cause flow disruption / turbulence.


Sent from my HTC6500LVW using NASIOC mobile app
FYI, here is the flow result of the STI stock style turbine housing we use for our STX 71. We do mildly port the housing, but the biggest difference maker is design our or turbine. I don't have to get in to it here.



This is the flow of our housing vs a Garrett GT30 housing. It can acutally flow a little more than a GT30 0.82 A/R housing.

SteamSpeed.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:39 AM   #147
Shiftace420
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 383633
Join Date: Mar 2014
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Yampa, CO
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Silver

Default

Outsanding thank you for the compressor maps and the extra effort you guys put to a quality product. It shows
Shiftace420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:52 AM   #148
Leafy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 330625
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamSpeed.com View Post
Anyway, we finished compiling the initial results of testing our Steam STX 71 turbocharger. It exceeded our goals, but we have identified some ways from our testing to make it even better. As you can see from the compressor map, it can already flow ~60 lbs/min.



Here is the STX 71 compressor map overlaid with the Garrett GTX3071R for reference.



Check out our blog post for info.
Peak efficiency is kind of low. It looks like you traded the acting like a bigger wheel while acting like a smaller wheel property that the BW compressor wheels have but sacrificed some of the efficiency. And for ****s sake man, that turbo is begging you to try higher shaft speeds.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:43 AM   #149
SteamSpeed.com
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 339860
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
Peak efficiency is kind of low. It looks like you traded the acting like a bigger wheel while acting like a smaller wheel property that the BW compressor wheels have but sacrificed some of the efficiency. And for ****s sake man, that turbo is begging you to try higher shaft speeds.
This is just the plot of the initial data. It sure certainly can spin faster. Our customers make the most power, it would seem, between 19-24 psi. Our tuning partners tell us that there isn't more power to be had 25+. For our updated version, it push up the efficiency and probably flow a little more. Stay tuned. We post updated maps after our R&D is completed on this model.
SteamSpeed.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:28 AM   #150
SUBARIFFIC
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 183647
Join Date: Jul 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Charlotte NC
Vehicle:
06 WRX
WR Blue

Default

When will you get around to doing the STX67 series of turbos

Sent from my VS985 4G using NASIOC mobile app
SUBARIFFIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2020 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.