Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday December 17, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
North West Impreza Club
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > North West Impreza Club Forum -- NWIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-09-2018, 03:26 PM   #1
Colonel Ives
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 211558
Vehicle:
2002 WRX sedan

Default Catback shopping in Seattle?

The muffler on my '02 has developed an annoying internal rattle. It's also starting to rust through in one place. It seems like it's time for a new catback. It has had a Greddy EVO 1 on it since I bought it in 2009 so that's all I know. It sounds pretty good, it's just loud enough, though I wish it had a little more bite. Not louder, but with more of a sharp tone at higher RPMs, if that makes sense. It's pretty subdued compared to a lot of the other WRX/STis that I see around.

The usual advice on muffler/catback selection is to go to a meetup and listen to various mufflers in person. But I can't seem to find any coming up, either here or on the Facebook group I know of (NW Subies). I believe there used to be a regular meetup at Dick's but I have never been to it and don't know when it's supposed to happen (or which Dick's location).

Any suggestions? I live in Ballard and work in Mukilteo. Maybe if you live nearby and have a catback you like on an '02-07, I could pay you a visit some evening after work and have you rev the engine a few times for me.
Colonel Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2018, 03:34 PM   #2
Stanley072.5i
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 204266
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2018 STi
White

YouTube has a lot of videos of sound clips. Give it a go!
Stanley072.5i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:36 PM   #3
Colonel Ives
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley072.5i View Post
YouTube has a lot of videos of sound clips. Give it a go!
True, but I found clips of my current exhaust, and it sounds different enough that I'm hesitant to buy pipes based on what they sound like on Youtube.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:13 PM   #4
oren
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 31193
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Wagon
Blue

I have a stock one on now. Getting an EJ207 and Fujitsubo in a couple weeks. I'm also in Ballard. I wonder if I've seen your care around.
oren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:18 PM   #5
Colonel Ives
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oren View Post
I have a stock one on now. Getting an EJ207 and Fujitsubo in a couple weeks. I'm also in Ballard. I wonder if I've seen your care around.
Silver bugeye sedan, no spoiler, ****ty paint repair job on the trunk and rear bumper.

Are you putting the EJ207 in yourself or having it done?
Old 09-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #6
oren
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 WRX Wagon
Blue

No, I have seen a GD sedan in the neighborhood that I thought might be yours but it was blue.

I have a blue 2003 Wagon, but it does stay in the garage most of the time.

I'm having Drive Auto Sports do it. I've used All Wheel Drive auto for a while, and it's the same people doing more performance stuff. I hope it works out well.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:20 PM   #7
PHruska
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 214589
Vehicle:
2002 V8 wrx wagon
PSM

Quote:
No, I have seen a GD sedan in the neighborhood that I thought might be yours but it was blue.

I have a blue 2003 Wagon, but it does stay in the garage most of the time.

I'm having Drive Auto Sports do it. I've used All Wheel Drive auto for a while, and it's the same people doing more performance stuff. I hope it works out well.
Did the swap myself into my 02 wagon. Really not too hard, besides sorting the wiring but thats well written out at this point. Recommend doing it yourself if you have the space! the tools are cheaper than the labor to have someone else do it!
PHruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:47 PM   #8
oren
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 WRX Wagon
Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHruska View Post
Did the swap myself into my 02 wagon. Really not too hard, besides sorting the wiring but thats well written out at this point. Recommend doing it yourself if you have the space! the tools are cheaper than the labor to have someone else do it!
Space and time is the huge challenge.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:51 PM   #9
PHruska
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 214589
Vehicle:
2002 V8 wrx wagon
PSM

Quote:
Space and time is the huge challenge.
Totally understand that. Just moved out of my place in greenlake and had to give up a 2.5 car shop to move into a place with not even a flat space to change oil.
PHruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:04 PM   #10
oren
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 WRX Wagon
Blue

Yeah, I'm lucky for the neighborhood to have a two car garage but given the neighborhood, we have the two cars in there all the time. I'm running out of space for tools and such. I might figure out a way to get some more room, but free time is also the big issue for me.

I'm glad to see people in North Seattle. I wonder if we could organize a track day with people from the area some time.