Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 25, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > FA Series Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-31-2018, 09:10 PM   #26
Warriorti22
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 486619
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2018 WRX Premium
White

The video is pretty accurate of what it sounds like. Timing chain rattle is very very apparent for the first ~1 second of startup. Not sure if this is the same or not, Iíll have to have a friend start it for me while Iím looking into the engine bay.

Would a bearing about to go bad correlate with a large decrease in boost? Currently the car hits a brick wall at 18psi. Builds quickly and pulls hard but falls off quick. Have been trouble shooting that issue for a week or so now. Used to hit 21 then taper too quickly to 14 so I went hunting for leaks. Pressurized the system to 25psi and it held, so thinking itís a EBCS or a BPV issue. Unless the whole thing is about to blow lol.
Warriorti22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2018, 09:36 PM   #27
jasonwrx86
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 472037
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited
CWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriorti22 View Post
The video is pretty accurate of what it sounds like. Timing chain rattle is very very apparent for the first ~1 second of startup. Not sure if this is the same or not, I’ll have to have a friend start it for me while I’m looking into the engine bay.

Would a bearing about to go bad correlate with a large decrease in boost? Currently the car hits a brick wall at 18psi. Builds quickly and pulls hard but falls off quick. Have been trouble shooting that issue for a week or so now. Used to hit 21 then taper too quickly to 14 so I went hunting for leaks. Pressurized the system to 25psi and it held, so thinking it’s a EBCS or a BPV issue. Unless the whole thing is about to blow lol.
Factory tune likes to peak boost to 22 psi for "extra boost" mode idk if your aftermarket tune does that or not.
jasonwrx86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:43 PM   #28
Warriorti22
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX Premium
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwrx86 View Post
Factory tune likes to peak boost to 22 psi for "extra boost" mode idk if your aftermarket tune does that or not.

Target is 21.5 or so tapering to ~18. Tuner said it wasnít holding boost long enough.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:48 PM   #29
killadawg
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 424203
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2016 WRX stage 3
STI Drivetrain swap GM

nah.. doesn't sound like knock in that last vid.. my 2 cents.. needs to sound more like you are jiggling a can pennies super fast.. (kinda lol) lots of stuff online for proper knock sounds.. this sounds like engine noises.. run some Boostane to see if that mitigates the so called sound you are hearing.. if not then you know its just paranoia.. If the sound goes away then you know well, maybe you did have some knock? kinda sorta ;-).. it also sounds like you don't have the car on load, just revving it in neutral while parked and you are by no means WOT.. keep us posted
killadawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:59 PM   #30
J_ODIE
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 484302

Quote:
Originally Posted by killadawg View Post
nah.. doesn't sound like knock in that last vid.. my 2 cents.. needs to sound more like you are jiggling a can pennies super fast.. (kinda lol) lots of stuff online for proper knock sounds.. this sounds like engine noises.. run some Boostane to see if that mitigates the so called sound you are hearing.. if not then you know its just paranoia.. If the sound goes away then you know well, maybe you did have some knock? kinda sorta ;-).. it also sounds like you don't have the car on load, just revving it in neutral while parked and you are by no means WOT.. keep us posted
OP is talking about rod knock...not detonation.

I hear something weird ...but I do not have a trained ear. Hoping its nothing OP. Best of luck.
J_ODIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:17 AM   #31
killadawg
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 424203
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2016 WRX stage 3
STI Drivetrain swap GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_ODIE View Post
OP is talking about rod knock...not detonation.

I hear something weird ...but I do not have a trained ear. Hoping its nothing OP. Best of luck.
Sorry didn't catch that.. yeah sound is different.. best of luck
killadawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:14 AM   #32
Warriorti22
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX Premium
White

Started the car tonight and it did not seem to be making the same sound, not nearly as loud at least. Oil was at 150 so not fully up to temp, but I assume if it was about to go I would still hear it. Iíll post back with updates over the next few days - taking a road trip tomorrow so weíll see how that goes lol. The modded subie life is stressful, but pay to play I guess.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:14 PM   #33
Warriorti22
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX Premium
White

Another update: I have since driven the car another ~700 miles and nothing catastrophic has happened. Not sure how fast a bearing would go if that is in fact the noise I am hearing.

I just finished my E-Tune with Mikey (logs below) - still not able to hold target boost to redline, but it got a lot better after I replaced my SUPER leaky stock BPV. I have reason to believe that the intake is the reason I cant hold 18psi to redline (post #28 https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...4#post45600254)

Final 3 logs: https://datazap.me/u/warriorti22/9-4...2&data=5-20-27
Old 09-11-2018, 05:31 PM   #34
Msmolen72
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 491337

I know that there is mixed reviews on whether changing after 1k or 2k is right or 6k like Subaru recommends is right. Could it be that the metal was still making its way out cause you changed early? Maybe still getting broken in?
Msmolen72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:30 PM   #35
vlad11591
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 295970
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2018 WRX
ISM

Most e-tunes I've seen in the log thread don't hold target boost till redline and taper about 15 around 5500.

I wouldn't be too worried so long as you aren't seeing knock events in high rpm
vlad11591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:37 PM   #36
Warriorti22
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX Premium
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad11591 View Post
Most e-tunes I've seen in the log thread don't hold target boost till redline and taper about 15 around 5500.

I wouldn't be too worried so long as you aren't seeing knock events in high rpm
Nope, only saw -1.05 on the first map he sent over, no knock since. I am adding a Grimmspeed intake and heading to Phatbotti to get a dyno tune next week. E-tune was taking farrrr too long and it was tough to diagnose issues over the internet over the course of several days while still daily driving the car.

Almost due for the next oil change (Blackstone said do a 2k interval) - curious to see if the small metal flakes have all but disappeared.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:53 PM   #37
jasonwrx86
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 472037
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited
CWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmolen72 View Post
I know that there is mixed reviews on whether changing after 1k or 2k is right or 6k like Subaru recommends is right. Could it be that the metal was still making its way out cause you changed early? Maybe still getting broken in?
I do in the middle 3000
jasonwrx86 is offline   Reply With Quote