Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday October 24, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-12-2017, 01:07 PM   #1
l88m22vette
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 142972
Default EJ20Y swap: Ignition cyls don't match, switch, can I swap key cylinders?

I know this is an Impreza forum but I can't get feedback anywhere else. I'm on the last step before actually trying to start my project, I swapped the EJ20Y from a manual 2008 JDM Legacy front clip into my automatic 2005 Outback, so instead of getting it towed and programmed at the dealer I just swapped the clip's ECU and BIU. Those, along with the correct ignition cylinder (assembly), should let me just start the car. Project thread for reference: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...-bolt-ons.html

The problem is that my 2005 XT setup uses a switch on the back, but the clip cylinder doesn't. Since my Outback is auto but the clip was a manual, is it a lockout for the auto trans? Basically, its a sprung button that "releases" into a recess that opens when you try starting the auto. I tried to circuit-test the on/off positions but no luck either way. I can install it on the manual ignition cylinder but the button won't actuate, it would just be out all the time (like it is when the key is turned to start the car).

The clip's cylinder doesn't have the button and the spot is blanked off. The electrical setup is different, 6 spade connectors in the clip's large white plug vs. 5 in the Outback's. Also, since there is no button actuator the small upper connector only has 2 pins used vs the Outback's 4. All the pics below are from Outback's ignition cylinder.

I tried futzing and doing minor surgery but wanted to ask before breaking anything - is there a way to swap the physical key cylinders, so I can just keep the electrics happy? I can see there are retaining pins on opposite sides of the key cyl, so can those be tapped out? I tried but no luck, do I have to partially turn the key or something? Otherwise, everything swaps and it should work fine (transponder coil, sensor, plugs, etc). If I can't get them apart, could I just install the actuator with the button always out?

l88m22vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2017, 08:37 PM   #2
l88m22vette
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 142972

New theory, I've been thinking about this and think I might have guessed it - the actuator (not switch) is a security/safety feature to prevent the key from being removed. The pin didn't register a circuit in or out, so its not a passive switch. The gold box's pin pushes the plunger into the hole when the key turns to or past ACC, and springs back when the actuator pin retracts (after putting trans in park? not tripping the security?).

I'm pretty sure the pin is shorter than the opening blank on the clip's ignition cyl, maybe I could just put it in and let it actuate however it wants? I'm going to attempt surgery tomorrow.
l88m22vette is offline   Reply With Quote