Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday December 15, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2014, 06:55 AM   #1
houstonpv
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306730
Join Date: Jan 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Hollywood
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
OBP

Default Make your own Hella horn bracket for about $2! So easy man...

I was frustrated that it would cost me almost $40 after shipping just to buy a bracket that would fit my Hella horns correctly. The supplied brackets from Hella just don't cut it.

This is just a piece of metal with holes in it........ -_-

This is for my 2011 WRX hatchback. Will this bracket work for your car? Most likely.. I believe most hood latch mounts are similar for these cars.

Step 1: Buy this thing at Home Depot. It's called a Strong Tie. This thing is sturdy... And pretty thick compared to those really flexible ties next to it. You shouldn't really be able to bend it much with one hand.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/paulho...o/14843054828/

Step 2: Drill three holes in it. Please don't drill at random. I test fitted the first piece about 5 times before I got the mounts where they needed to be. And the damn hood latch kept getting involved. I have included the template I made pictured here. You can download it via the link below.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/paulho...n/photostream/
Template download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qkgrewkaov...20PNG.png?dl=0

Step 3: It's not pretty but it's painted now. High-durability paint for getting crapped on because it's on the front of your Subaru. God help the paint.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/paulho...n/photostream/

Step 4: Mount it up! There are plenty of DIY's about mounting these lights so I'll leave it to you and your search bar. This is just for making the bracket.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/paulho...n/photostream/

The final mounted product is solid. It feels strong just like any other mounted piece under your hood.

I hope at least one person found this useful.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by houstonpv; 08-29-2014 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Template added.
houstonpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:42 PM   #2
bsmiley314
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 396251
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: East Texas
Vehicle:
2015 WRX base
Lightning Red

Default

Looks good. Is the notch for hood latch clearance?
bsmiley314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:47 PM   #3
Aphex28
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 11506
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Dracut, MA
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
WRB

Default

I just paint and use a section of Din Rail to mount them. But this is similar.
Aphex28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:36 PM   #4
houstonpv
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306730
Join Date: Jan 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Hollywood
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmiley314 View Post
Looks good. Is the notch for hood latch clearance?
Yes. Without the notch cut-out, the hood won't open.
houstonpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:24 PM   #5
Vices
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 398304
Join Date: Aug 2014
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston
Vehicle:
2002 WRX EJ257
WRB

Default

Cool. Did you CAD this? Care to share a drawing or send me the CAD so I can make one for everybody? It might help some people, especially if you have access to a mill.
Vices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:53 AM   #6
clamsjager
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 172787
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Waterford ct
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza wrx
Dark Grey

Default

Really? did you read the first post Vices? its a strong tie from homedepot not a custom cad cut bracket.
clamsjager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:17 PM   #7
Teedub21
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 333099
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Vancouver, WA
Vehicle:
2013 WRX STi
ISM

Default

If you enjoy tinkering this looks great. For what my time and frustration are worth ordering the one from Subimods made way more sense.

Nice job though!
Teedub21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:16 PM   #8
houstonpv
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306730
Join Date: Jan 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Hollywood
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
OBP

Default

Thanks. I do enjoy tinkering.. And I don't even have a garage to do it. It's $2 and you get to drill some holes. It's easier than taking a dump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teedub21 View Post
If you enjoy tinkering this looks great. For what my time and frustration are worth ordering the one from Subimods made way more sense.

Nice job though!
houstonpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:56 PM   #9
houstonpv
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306730
Join Date: Jan 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Hollywood
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
OBP

Default

Just added the template free to download via Dropbox.

Template can be found here.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/opd4rnp0sl...acket.psd?dl=0
houstonpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:41 PM   #10
Vices
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 398304
Join Date: Aug 2014
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston
Vehicle:
2002 WRX EJ257
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamsjager View Post
Really? did you read the first post Vices? its a strong tie from homedepot not a custom cad cut bracket.
Really??? Did you read all of it? The strong tie is modified. I don't need a CAD file but it looks like he already did something of the sort. Of course I only gathered that from the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonpv View Post
Just added the template free to download via Dropbox.

Template can be found here.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/opd4rnp0sl...acket.psd?dl=0
Thank you sir!
Vices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:40 PM   #11
gaugeof12
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132859
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Dallas Texas
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonpv View Post
Just added the template free to download via Dropbox.

Template can be found here.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/opd4rnp0sl...acket.psd?dl=0
No photoshop for some of us. Can you File>Save As PDF?
gaugeof12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:33 PM   #12
bbun
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 184554
Join Date: Jul 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange County
Vehicle:
02 ghettoFABness
bugeye rolling.

Default

it opened with picture viewer from quicktime
bbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:56 PM   #13
icedcoco
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 259021
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Central NJ
Vehicle:
2014 WRX Premium
SWP

Default

Nice job and helpful. Thanks for taking the time to share!
icedcoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:52 PM   #14
houstonpv
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306730
Join Date: Jan 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Hollywood
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaugeof12 View Post
No photoshop for some of us. Can you File>Save As PDF?
I uploaded a new template as PNG. Easier to print now.

Dropbox link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qkgrewkaov...20PNG.png?dl=0
houstonpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:33 PM   #15
mardin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 348482
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonpv View Post
I uploaded a new template as PNG. Easier to print now.

Dropbox link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qkgrewkaov...20PNG.png?dl=0
Sorry for the old bump, but just wanted to say thanks for putting this together, template and all!

Much appreciated, will be attempting this as shipping of pre-made brackets got a bit ridiculous being in the Great White North and all.
mardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:16 AM   #16
bobditts
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 392683
Join Date: Jun 2014
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Vehicle:
2014 LS hatch
quartz blue

Default

I made my bracket out of some scrap aluminum I had laying around. Works about the same as your project but I added some ribs to it for strength. Good job!
bobditts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:18 PM   #17
FactoryWRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 420773
Join Date: May 2015
Default

What did you use to cut the notch for the hood latch?
FactoryWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:08 AM   #18
Xman2222
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 421729
Join Date: May 2015
Default Nice.

Good idea. Thanks for all the information. Looking forward to installing my Horns.
Xman2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:45 PM   #19
stevosubiedude
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 411628
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: State Side for Now
Vehicle:
2015 WRX

Default

That looks pretty good.


Sent from my iPhone using NASIOC
stevosubiedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:48 AM   #20
Assunta
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333607
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default

Anyone else having trouble with the dropbox DL links?
Assunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:21 PM   #21
Sestemybe
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 426056
Join Date: Jul 2015
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: WA
Vehicle:
2011 Wrx
Pearl white

Default

Very sweet :-) just ordered a set of the red hella two tones and this will save me some money, thank you very much!
Sestemybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:23 PM   #22
jsantos1082
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 369254
Join Date: Sep 2013
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Hackensack, NJ
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonpv View Post
I was frustrated that it would cost me almost $40 after shipping just to buy a bracket that would fit my Hella horns correctly. The supplied brackets from Hella just don't cut it.

This is just a piece of metal with holes in it........ -_-

This is for my 2011 WRX hatchback. Will this bracket work for your car? Most likely.. I believe most hood latch mounts are similar for these cars.

Step 1: Buy this thing at Home Depot. It's called a Strong Tie. This thing is sturdy... And pretty thick compared to those really flexible ties next to it. You shouldn't really be able to bend it much with one hand.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/paulho...o/14843054828/

Step 2: Drill three holes in it. Please don't drill at random. I test fitted the first piece about 5 times before I got the mounts where they needed to be. And the damn hood latch kept getting involved. I have included the template I made pictured here. You can download it via the link below.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/paulho...n/photostream/
Template download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qkgrewkaov...20PNG.png?dl=0

Step 3: It's not pretty but it's painted now. High-durability paint for getting crapped on because it's on the front of your Subaru. God help the paint.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/paulho...n/photostream/

Step 4: Mount it up! There are plenty of DIY's about mounting these lights so I'll leave it to you and your search bar. This is just for making the bracket.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/paulho...n/photostream/

The final mounted product is solid. It feels strong just like any other mounted piece under your hood.

I hope at least one person found this useful.

Hey whats up. Do you still have the template? the link does not work anymore. Thanks
jsantos1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 03:23 PM   #23
keymer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 442065
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Silver

Default

Great mod! Will be doing this on my wrx
keymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:49 AM   #24
webbie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 146489
Join Date: Apr 2007
Default

Anyone still have access to this template. The download Dropbox link isn't working .
webbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:51 AM   #25
Aphex28
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 11506
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Dracut, MA
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
WRB

Default

There are plenty of other generic options to use. I like Din Rail the best:
http://a.co/43aI5Mg
Aphex28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.