Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday December 13, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-06-2017, 02:37 AM   #576
Spenser
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 243755
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2013 wrx
satin white

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaybrooks1 View Post
How are your front axles doing?
I was told anything above 2 really strains the CV boots..

My rig is a 2002 WRX Wagon
Everything's all good, I'd say great but I want mooore height lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Spenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2017, 02:38 AM   #577
Thetrumpwon
*** Banned ***

Member#: 478799

You smell like a turkey
Thetrumpwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:02 AM   #578
conandoyle
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 285003
Chapter/Region: VIC
Vehicle:
2011 STI SEDAN
Plasma Blue

Good info here
conandoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:10 AM   #579
ajaybrooks1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 337778
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenser View Post
Everything's all good, I'd say great but I want mooore height lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Same here!
I have 2 aluminum spacers, but I was curious if I could go with the forester struts WITH my spacers.

So I can go larger tires.
ajaybrooks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:20 PM   #580
JSTaylor
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 458693

If Im reading all the info correctly. I should be able to go with Forrester struts, Forester end links, can I use my OBS springs or do I need Forester springs also? If Im not going beyond the 2 the Forester struts give me, do I need to be overly concerned about correcting CV angles? Also when you speak of lowering drivetrain components are you actually lowering the entire engine/tranny combo?
Thanks.
JSTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:10 PM   #581
KeatonHo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 463653
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Wagon
@vader.wrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTaylor View Post
If Im reading all the info correctly. I should be able to go with Forrester struts, Forester end links, can I use my OBS springs or do I need Forester springs also? If Im not going beyond the 2 the Forester struts give me, do I need to be overly concerned about correcting CV angles? Also when you speak of lowering drivetrain components are you actually lowering the entire engine/tranny combo?
Thanks.
I did STI endlinks, not sure Forester will do it. I would go with Forester springs as well, because it would put a lot of wear on the struts if you dont. You'll need 97-99? Outback trailing arm brackets or some bracket spacers to center your rear wheels. I wouldn't worry about the CV angles
KeatonHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:09 AM   #582
t0ekn3e
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 157921

Is it possible to swap out the transmission crossmember without removing the transmission?
t0ekn3e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:27 PM   #583
rocknut
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 402536
Vehicle:
2004 wrx wagon
Red

Having a hard time finding the OBS trailing arm brackets since they are now discontinued. Do the trailing arm spacers do the same thing? I wasn't sure if the OBS brackets had a mounting point farther back to move the wheel or if just by lower the arm and correcting the angle they moved the wheel back. Getting ready to lift my 04 wagon with forester struts
rocknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:13 AM   #584
KeatonHo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 WRX Wagon
@vader.wrx

Trailing arm spacers do about the same thing. The only thing I wonder about is replacing the bolts with longer ones. I stripped one of mine and went to Fastenal to replace it and the guy looked at me funny. He seemed to think the best idea was to go to the junk yard and pull off a bolt from another Subie. I wonder how hard it would be to find bolts long enough.. I've got a couple LOBs at the junkyard back in my hometown but won't be up to taking them off until summer time.. I guess if you are able to wait that long I could some to you?
Old 02-24-2018, 07:09 PM   #585
Steve Theodore
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3737
Vehicle:
2007 WRX STi
Crystal Gray Metallic

OK I love this thread but have way more meager lifting goals for my 2007 STi. I simply want to be able to run a slightly taller tire (225/50/17 or 235/50/17) in an attempt to get a better ride quality. I've had my car in OEM configuration for just over 2 years but would really like to make it more DD friendly as I continue to get older and my lower back continues to give me issues. But, I do love my STi.

Do you think it would be conceivable to run some Paranoid Fabrications 3/4" or 1" spacers OR perhaps KING lifting springs to create enough room for my goal? Most of this desire has been brought on as I need to buy new tires, and would like to run a larger sidewall intentionally. As most STi owners are hell bent on lowering their cars I know I need help from a special group, so hoping I found it here. What would you recommend as my best lower cost alternative to creating a bit of room to run the slightly larger tires I seek?

Here are how a few sizes compare:

225/45/17 - 24.97" tall
235/45/17 - 25.33" tall
225/50/17 - 25.86" tall
235/50/17 - 26.25" tall

Thanks all.
Steve Theodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:51 AM   #586
ajaybrooks1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore View Post

225/45/17 - 24.97" tall
235/45/17 - 25.33" tall
225/50/17 - 25.86" tall
235/50/17 - 26.25" tall

Thanks all.

Question for ya, what brand and model of tire are you lookin for? Those sizes seem perfect, but as a street tire?
Old 02-25-2018, 01:57 PM   #587
Steve Theodore
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 WRX STi
Crystal Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaybrooks1 View Post
Question for ya, what brand and model of tire are you lookin for? Those sizes seem perfect, but as a street tire?
Yes, I'm simply looking for street tires and haven't chosen any size or brand as of yet. I'm mostly interested in increasing ride comfort and just 'toning' down the car from it's hyper-active and bouncy self. Do you have any recommendations?
Old 02-26-2018, 09:51 PM   #588
ajaybrooks1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Silver

Quote:
Yes, I'm simply looking for street tires and haven't chosen any size or brand as of yet. I'm mostly interested in increasing ride comfort and just 'toning' down the car from it's hyper-active and bouncy self. Do you have any recommendations?

I was going to suggest an off road tire like the general grabber AT2!!
Old 02-26-2018, 10:24 PM   #589
Steve Theodore
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 WRX STi
Crystal Gray Metallic

Hahaha, I bet that would be entertaining if nothing else!
Old 03-01-2018, 10:56 PM   #590
Underfire319
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 482755
Default The Unofficial "How to Lift your Impreza" Thread

Hey everyone, new to the form. I have a fully OEM 2015 Impreza Sport Premium. When I bought it, I was okay with the ride height, but now I'm falling into it every time I go for a drive. I've read enough that I can either use 2" spacers or use Forester struts of a comparable year (I'm assuming '15 Forester for '15 Impreza). Every place I've looked doesn't seem to confirm this for my specific model year. I'm a DIY guy so I'm fairly familiar with most maintenance and since the car was a "gift" from my Grandmother at her passing, trading it in is a no go. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Underfire319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:34 PM   #591
Ab_subie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 482909
Default Im new

Alright, so Ive been through a lot of forums and cant seem to get a straight simple answer, although this one was the closest. Hoping I can get a simple answer here: I can buy strut spacers for my 08 2.5i wagon that come with bolt extensions.
Will a 1 strut spacer lift provide me with the lift I want without having to add any other parts? Im looking for ground clearance. And possibly a little bigger tires.
Ab_subie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:41 AM   #592
Ab_subie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 482909

Quote:
OK I love this thread but have way more meager lifting goals for my 2007 STi. I simply want to be able to run a slightly taller tire (225/50/17 or 235/50/17) in an attempt to get a better ride quality. I've had my car in OEM configuration for just over 2 years but would really like to make it more DD friendly as I continue to get older and my lower back continues to give me issues. But, I do love my STi.

Do you think it would be conceivable to run some Paranoid Fabrications 3/4" or 1" spacers OR perhaps KING lifting springs to create enough room for my goal? Most of this desire has been brought on as I need to buy new tires, and would like to run a larger sidewall intentionally. As most STi owners are hell bent on lowering their cars I know I need help from a special group, so hoping I found it here. What would you recommend as my best lower cost alternative to creating a bit of room to run the slightly larger tires I seek?

225/45/17 - 24.97" tall
235/45/17 - 25.33" tall
225/50/17 - 25.86" tall
235/50/17 - 26.25" tall

Thanks all.
Howd you make out with this?! Did you go spacers??
Ab_subie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:13 PM   #593
jamal
Scooby Guru

Member#: 71875

Has anyone compared struts and springs between the standard impreza, crosstrek, and forester on the current/09+ cars?

Forester and crosstrek have the same listed ground clearance of 8.7" so I assume they are very similar. I notice the crosstrek does come with slightly shorter tires though.
jamal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:58 PM   #594
KeatonHo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 WRX Wagon
@vader.wrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab_subie View Post
Alright, so Ive been through a lot of forums and cant seem to get a straight simple answer, although this one was the closest. Hoping I can get a simple answer here: I can buy strut spacers for my 08 2.5i wagon that come with bolt extensions.
Will a 1 strut spacer lift provide me with the lift I want without having to add any other parts? Im looking for ground clearance. And possibly a little bigger tires.
1 inch shouldn't hurt anything. once you get to about 3" things start to get stressed.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:53 PM   #595
nmd003
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 277828
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Camellia Red Pearl

I lifted my 2012 Impreza sedan with struts, springs and a set of 225/55R17s and wheels off of an 09 Forester. Still need to fix the front camber.
nmd003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 03:30 PM   #596
Alfred_Buchi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 382022
Vehicle:
2003 WRX

You might want to get some trailing arm spacers in there too the front of that rear wheel looks crazy close to the your fender. Does it touch at full extension?

Otherwise, braap on!
Alfred_Buchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:08 PM   #597
rocknut
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 402536
Vehicle:
2004 wrx wagon
Red

Well I found maybe the last OB trailing arm brackets in the northeast USA area. I also found a set of JDM forester struts and springs. Put these on my 04 wagon. It my fair weather toy or should I say no salt toy. I've only had it out twice since I did the lift. It rides much smoother than the old lowered stiff suspension. I did a quick alignment while on my lift. Still need to fine tune it and get bigger tires.

I'm looking at changing from my 225/45r17 to 215/65R16 or 215/60R16 don't want rubbing. This is my kayak hauler and backpacking ride. Plus I do like the power.

Before the lift

JDM struts and coils

After the lift with 225/45r17 tires

rocknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:05 PM   #598
combatspace
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 485855
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Black

Sorry to revive an old thread here, but I just wanted to clarify something after skimming through all 24 pages: If using JUST the 03-08 Forester Struts with my stock '02 WRX springs and top hats, I will get ~2" lift correct? With this much/little lift, is it still recommended to get the OBS trailing arm brackets to adjust the rear wheels back? What about the extended sway bar links in the front?
combatspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:53 AM   #599
KeatonHo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 WRX Wagon
@vader.wrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatspace View Post
Sorry to revive an old thread here, but I just wanted to clarify something after skimming through all 24 pages: If using JUST the 03-08 Forester Struts with my stock '02 WRX springs and top hats, I will get ~2" lift correct? With this much/little lift, is it still recommended to get the OBS trailing arm brackets to adjust the rear wheels back? What about the extended sway bar links in the front?
Running WRX springs with Forester struts isn't a great idea.. it's really easy to bottom out the strut and wreck it. The springs themselves sit much lower than the Foz springs, and also the strut itself will always be sitting in compression, unlike what they were intended for. Plus, I highly doubt that the strut alone would get you 2 inches. For the struts way, you need to go struts+springs+supporting things to make it work correctly. I think if you want to keep it simple, it's probably easier to go with strut spacers+trailing arm spacers. Either way, you're either gonna need bigger brackets or spacers for the trailing arms. You might be able to go without, but aesthetically it doesn't look great. Also, its possible to get buildup of snow/ice in the winter or mud in the summer(especially in off-roading applications)
Old 06-06-2018, 03:16 PM   #600
combatspace
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 485855
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeatonHo View Post
Running WRX springs with Forester struts isn't a great idea.. it's really easy to bottom out the strut and wreck it. The springs themselves sit much lower than the Foz springs, and also the strut itself will always be sitting in compression, unlike what they were intended for. Plus, I highly doubt that the strut alone would get you 2 inches. For the struts way, you need to go struts+springs+supporting things to make it work correctly. I think if you want to keep it simple, it's probably easier to go with strut spacers+trailing arm spacers. Either way, you're either gonna need bigger brackets or spacers for the trailing arms. You might be able to go without, but aesthetically it doesn't look great. Also, its possible to get buildup of snow/ice in the winter or mud in the summer(especially in off-roading applications)
bottom out the struts? correct me if I'm wrong, but when buying a new set they come fully compressed, held by a nylon tie and have maybe 3-4" of shaft showing. I highly doubt it'd be possible to bottom them out unless I were to cut the springs. Now on the other hand, shock valving could be an issue if the springs were too stiff/soft for the shocks to handle and could blow them out, but again, considering the vehicles in question I see that as unlikely. Worse comes to worse, I'll just slap the WRX top hats on some forester bits and get the extended dohickeys, but I seem to recall there being 3-4" lift involved with using the Foz springs as well...not sure I wanna go quite that high.
combatspace is offline   Reply With Quote