Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 17, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-13-2017, 02:15 PM   #1
BonedrySTi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 466762
Vehicle:
2018 STi
Crystal White Pearl

Default 2018 STI Cobb Stage 1

Well the long awaited release for Cobb's Stage 1 OTS MAP for the 2018 STI's is over. I am going to buy an Accessport shortly. I plan on just going Stage 1 to improve driveability because the stock tune is killing me.

Just curious if any other 2018 STI owner already has or plans to test out Stage 1 for their car?

I will be posting my findings and opinion on it so stay tuned. I will also be trying out Cobb's Stage 1 and MAPerformance's Stage 1 OTS MAP to see which one I enjoy the most for daily driving in the city everyday.

BonedrySTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2017, 02:46 PM   #2
Homeless Junkie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 471630
Vehicle:
2018 STi base
White

I'm interested and subscribed..

Thanks for posting!
Homeless Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:12 PM   #3
Forced_O2
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 153900
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2018 WRX STi
World Rally Blue

I'm going to BrenTuning (Upton, MA) next Tuesday to get a Cobb Stage 1+ Dyno Tune.

I'll be doing a stock baseline pull, then one with the Cobb OTS Map (Stage 1+SF) and finally top it off with a Dyno Tune.
Forced_O2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:14 PM   #4
ifearnoevo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 475635

Really interested in this will you post the numbers for all three? +1 subscribed
ifearnoevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:18 PM   #5
Forced_O2
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX STi
World Rally Blue

Will do!
Old 11-14-2017, 03:18 PM   #6
ifearnoevo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 475635

Thanks
ifearnoevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:24 PM   #7
baldingtires
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 109739
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI
Crystal White Pearl

Interested also, car won't be here until 12/11 but I'll certainly be subscribing.
baldingtires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:06 PM   #8
BonedrySTi
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 STi
Crystal White Pearl

Here are the results:

*Disclaimer* - This is my first manual car so take my opinions with a grain of salt. I'm just expressing MY noticeable improvements from the stock tune. If you want an all inclusive and experienced opinion, sorry I'm not your guy.

Got my Accessport in the mail today and loaded up the COBB Stage 1 93 OTS MAP. Loaded up the "Normal" Wastegate tune. After seeing a couple reviews on Cobb's website and such for the 2018's I was skeptical. They were
claiming the throttle response was no different and they couldn't achieve boost over 10 PSI. None of that was apparent in my experience and hit a target of 15.6 PSI in S (Cobb states 15PSI +/- 1PSI) and have yet to test out I or S#. It is also good to note that Fine Knock and Feedback Knock were both 0. Also, DAM was a steady 1.00 the entire drive. Was pretty nervous as my car is brand new and only has 2,500 miles. Easy installation and I was off to the races! (a.k.a. warrant = VOID)

First impressions was the throttle repose is MUCH, I mean MUCH less touchy. You really need to push the gas down to get the RPM's up unlike the stock tune. Will take a little getting used to, especially for the first few days I suppose. It is a better thing though. Starting off in 1st is interesting... It IS much smoother upon takeoff, but like I said the gas pedal is more "mushy" so differentiating from 1,000 - 2,000 RPM is difficult. Still a fine line between those but it's easier to determine than stock. After a week I should have the new throttle feel nailed down.

Next would be the smoothness in 1st and 2nd gears. There is essentially no bogging, hesitation, or jerkiness at slow speeds. Much more calm and steady in those gears.

The dreaded REV HANG is lessened, not gone, but lessened. From 1st to 2nd you will still get a jerk if you're not 100% perfect with that shift but the jerk is less harsh. Also applying some gas during the clutch release is a lot easier due to the throttle being less touchy. You won't "accidentally" over rev the engine during clutching out in between gears. Thus, making 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th, and so on, seamless.

Lastly, acceleration through the gears is WAY better. Pulls linear and SMOOTH alllllll the way to redline.

These are my first, initial, expressions and will continue to update as I commute each day with this tune.

Since I bought the AP through MAPerformance I will be waiting for them to release their version of Stage 1 and compare the stock, and Cobb tune, to theirs.

With that, any questions you guys have I would be happy to answer in the meantime!
Old 11-21-2017, 11:08 PM   #9
Homeless Junkie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 471630
Vehicle:
2018 STi base
White

Hey thanks! I thought it was a great review for someone like myself who doesnít have a lot of experience with Subaru or Cobb.

Your experiences with the Accessport give me hope thereís a solution for my poor clutch. Iíve had more than one manual trans sports car. This new STI I have kinda sucks to drive sometimes. Iím always smelling clutch if I donít drop the pedal. I hate that the engagement is the end. I canít slowly let out the clutch pedal. It would be nice if the car wasnít so jerky.

On the other hand I notice 99% of the time Iím in intelligent mode
Homeless Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:14 PM   #10
Forced_O2
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX STi
World Rally Blue

Old 11-30-2017, 08:25 PM   #11
BonedrySTi
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 STi
Crystal White Pearl

A little over a week later and I've grown more accustom to the tune. Cobb's Stage 1 tune is great and is worlds better than the stock tune. I have been monitoring my DAM and Knock. DAM hasn't gone under or above 1.000 yet. Fine knock and feedback knock do go to -1.4 on occasion. I presume this is false knock? Really doesn't worry me too much. Should I continue driving it or use the Cobb Stage 1 91 tune and see if the issue persists?
I will also compare that to the MAPerformance tune once that is released, no set ETA on that yet.