Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday September 22, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2018, 11:10 AM   #1
JazzAvi8r
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 472899
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: colorado springs
Vehicle:
2005 LGT

Default clutch for 2011 STi?!?

I'm in the process of rebuilding a 2011 STi (bone stock) and want to replace the clutch. What is the most reliable and long lasting clutch on the market (no chatter please)? Should I just spend the money on an OEM clutch and flywheel? ACT? Spec? Exedy?

I'm putting in a brand new shortblock from heuberger, pretty much new everything; looking for another stock turbo or a place to rebuild this one. and then the car will be for sale. Trying to setup the next owner for success with a solid reliable clutch.

what say you?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
JazzAvi8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:20 AM   #2
JazzAvi8r
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 472899
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: colorado springs
Vehicle:
2005 LGT

Default

i went ahead and bought OEM. new disk, pressure plate, flywheel, and throwout bearing.
JazzAvi8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:53 PM   #3
Dcsport
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 408835
Join Date: Dec 2014
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Vehicle:
2003 Subaru WRX Wago
Silver

Default

What did that end up running you? I’m in Colorado Springs too, and basically doing the same thing though I’m thinking of keeping this car (2008 STi). It is pretty well modded, though. Not sure if I want to keep it modded or convert it back to stock. Temping to keep the mods and get a proper tune

Previous owner(s) beat up the drivetrain it seems. It is lifting heads, though shortblock seems sound (haven’t torn it down yet). I’m thinking of throwing in a Heuberger shortblock just for good measure, since this one has probably been beat up with 107k miles (if its original).

They also put in a Clutch Masters Stage 3 clutch that is a PITA so I’m thinking of swapping it out for a more street friendly clutch (if I keep this car, it will replace my ‘03 WRX as my year-round DD). I talked to Revolutions Performance about tuning this car and they recommended Competition or ACT clutches. Thinking of going to a Stage 2 clutch to be more street friendly, but also considering going back to stock since the price is about the same? Hopefully won’t need new flywheel (get the original one grinded if I’m lucky!). Rocky Mountain Machine Shop is a great machine shop, FYI!
Dcsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:49 AM   #4
JazzAvi8r
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 472899
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: colorado springs
Vehicle:
2005 LGT

Default

Well, I ended up going with all OEM from the dealer. I'm in it for about $3700 in total which includes new shortblock, clutch disk, pressure plate, flywheel, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, full gasket kit, oil pump, water pump, thermostat, oil cooler, oil pickup, timing belt, idler pulleys, tensioner, blah blah blah.

I had a guy who used to be a master tech at heuberger do the headwork for me - cleaning, decking, cutting the valves and seats, etc. he is extremely reliable, does phenominal work, and is very timely and cheap. I have already installed the heads, but need to verify the valve lash after I put the timing belt on just to verify his bench set job.

for you, I would go with a clutch more suited for your build. since this car is 100% OEM, i'm keeping it that way. if you have aftermarket go fast bits, be sure to have the supporting mods (clutch) to ensure you can transfer that power to the ground. I'm happy to help turn wrenches. I'm an ASE certified mechanic with years of experience and a garage full of Snap-On tools.

Also, if you're in the market for a 2011 bone stock STi with a brand spanking new engine, I've got one for sale for cheap
JazzAvi8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:55 PM   #5
Dcsport
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 408835
Join Date: Dec 2014
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Vehicle:
2003 Subaru WRX Wago
Silver

Default

That sounds great! Sounds like you'll have a good car to sell, too.

Looks like mine will be almost new once done, since the tranny has issues too (popping out of 6th; ran low on fluid when I got it due to leaky axle seal...ugh)

Know anyone from Heuberger with experience on rebuilding these 6-speeds? Even tranny shops in town don't want to touch these 6-speeds since they're finicky apparently. I found a guy up in Denver (ZF Design) that came recommended by Revolutions as well as Flatirons, so he definitely knows his stuff, but it'll be $900 just in labor to disassemble and reassemble, plus the parts that need replaced of course.
Dcsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:02 PM   #6
JazzAvi8r
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 472899
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: colorado springs
Vehicle:
2005 LGT

Default

yeah, these trannys do have their fair share of issues. but still way easier than the 5EAT tranny with all the stupid clutch packs and valve bodies. Assembly and disassembly really isn't that hard, it's identifying what is actually wrong that makes it difficult. with the DCCM and other sporty **** that's on these, they can be a pain. $900 is actually a pretty good deal considering the cost of the tranny is typically over $3k for a used one. I know the 6 speed with rear diff and linkage goes for a minimum $3500 over on the LGT forums.
JazzAvi8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:09 PM   #7
point78
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 344329
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Summit County
Vehicle:
2008 Wrx, 6mt

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcsport View Post
That sounds great! Sounds like you'll have a good car to sell, too.

Looks like mine will be almost new once done, since the tranny has issues too (popping out of 6th; ran low on fluid when I got it due to leaky axle seal...ugh)

Know anyone from Heuberger with experience on rebuilding these 6-speeds? Even tranny shops in town don't want to touch these 6-speeds since they're finicky apparently. I found a guy up in Denver (ZF Design) that came recommended by Revolutions as well as Flatirons, so he definitely knows his stuff, but it'll be $900 just in labor to disassemble and reassemble, plus the parts that need replaced of course.
I had Zack, (zf), put a long ratio gear set in my 2004 6mt.

He does good work.

Look up ZF design on Facebook.

(I put a Southbend daily 3 in mine. Way more clutch than you'd probably need, but it is buttery smooth & not much more pedal pressure than stock. )

Last edited by point78; 03-13-2018 at 03:15 PM.
point78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:54 PM   #8
Dcsport
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 408835
Join Date: Dec 2014
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Vehicle:
2003 Subaru WRX Wago
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by point78 View Post
I had Zack, (zf), put a long ratio gear set in my 2004 6mt.

He does good work.

Look up ZF design on Facebook.

(I put a Southbend daily 3 in mine. Way more clutch than you'd probably need, but it is buttery smooth & not much more pedal pressure than stock. )
Hey that clutch isn't digital, is it? The Clutch Masters stage 3 that's in the car now is very digital. Not that hard to press but I really don't like it for Daily Driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzAvi8r View Post
Well, I ended up going with all OEM from the dealer. I'm in it for about $3700 in total which includes new shortblock, clutch disk, pressure plate, flywheel, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, full gasket kit, oil pump, water pump, thermostat, oil cooler, oil pickup, timing belt, idler pulleys, tensioner, blah blah blah.

I had a guy who used to be a master tech at heuberger do the headwork for me - cleaning, decking, cutting the valves and seats, etc. he is extremely reliable, does phenominal work, and is very timely and cheap. I have already installed the heads, but need to verify the valve lash after I put the timing belt on just to verify his bench set job.

for you, I would go with a clutch more suited for your build. since this car is 100% OEM, i'm keeping it that way. if you have aftermarket go fast bits, be sure to have the supporting mods (clutch) to ensure you can transfer that power to the ground. I'm happy to help turn wrenches. I'm an ASE certified mechanic with years of experience and a garage full of Snap-On tools.

Also, if you're in the market for a 2011 bone stock STi with a brand spanking new engine, I've got one for sale for cheap
Did you end up finishing this up and selling it? I'm curious what you think you can get (or what you got) for it? I'm thinking of rebuilding this car to stock and selling it. If I keep it, I'll keep it built and do it up right but will spend another $5k doing that. Going back to stock won't be too bad. I'll do the same thing you did and put a new OEM SB in, OEM clutch, swap back to OEM turbo/injectors/air intake. Then sell it as a "new" stock rebuild. Wondering if I can get close to $20k for it?
Dcsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:58 PM   #9
JazzAvi8r
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 472899
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: colorado springs
Vehicle:
2005 LGT

Default

it's currently posted here:

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2870777

It's also on ebay if you want to take a look:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26359839177...84.m1558.l2649

I think if I wait on the right buyer, i could probably get between $20-22k. But i'm starting to get desperate, so i'm willing to go significantly lower. I have to pay taxes this week and i'm broke :P
JazzAvi8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:00 PM   #10
JazzAvi8r
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 472899
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: colorado springs
Vehicle:
2005 LGT

Default

you have an 08 with 105k miles on it. even with a "new" engine, i would probably market that for around $16k and take thr first $13k that comes your way.
JazzAvi8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:20 PM   #11
Dcsport
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 408835
Join Date: Dec 2014
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Vehicle:
2003 Subaru WRX Wago
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzAvi8r View Post
you have an 08 with 105k miles on it. even with a "new" engine, i would probably market that for around $16k and take thr first $13k that comes your way.
Yeah, damn I paid $11k for it thinking it just needed head gaskets. The tranny issue wasn't known so I got kinda duped. I have heard the blue color should add to the value, plus mine is a hatch; not sure if that adds much to the value. I can still rebuild the heads with the original SB it has. Would want to just get the block checked/decked, if they can do that without taking it apart. If I did that and went back to stock on everything else and sell the go-fast bits (would leave the exhaust, though), I could get away with only putting ~$2,500 into the rebuild.

If I put in a new SB, it would be just to refresh it and make the value of the car more desirable for a buyer. Or if I keep it, it'll be like having a new car. It seems I could maybe sell the stock SB for ~$500 since it isn't damaged, so new Heuberger SB+sale of stock one would net about $1,200 out of pocket. That'd be $14,500 into the car so I'd want to sell for $17k at least, to make the project worth my while. Maybe I'll try and sell it for that and if I get no bites then I'll keep it and sell my 2003 WRX instead.

Yours looks clean, though! You should get over $20k for that, surely. It's rare to find a clean stock STi anywhere. Most have been hacked at like mine, lol. What side of town you on? That kinda looks like my area. I'm in Banning Lewis Ranch right now.

Good luck on the sale! I might bug you again later to see what it sells for.
Dcsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:33 PM   #12
JazzAvi8r
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 472899
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: colorado springs
Vehicle:
2005 LGT

Default

i'm not far from BL, constitution/marksheffel area.

blue hatch will add a bit to it, but not much. if the car was pristine, i would say it's right around the $17k area. If I wasn't such a chicken ****, i would park it in Denver with a for sale sign. unfortunately, Denver is a huge market for thieves of these vehicles. a buddy of mine just got his 04 blue hatch WRX stolen from in front of his house -- he even had the anti-theft mode enabled on his access port and still got yanked. i think because of these thefts, not many people are in the market to buy subarus right now.

I also have an 05 OBXT for sale for $8500 with a fresh EJ255 in it. nobody is biting on that either.
JazzAvi8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:46 PM   #13
Dcsport
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 408835
Join Date: Dec 2014
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Vehicle:
2003 Subaru WRX Wago
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzAvi8r View Post
i'm not far from BL, constitution/marksheffel area.

blue hatch will add a bit to it, but not much. if the car was pristine, i would say it's right around the $17k area. If I wasn't such a chicken ****, i would park it in Denver with a for sale sign. unfortunately, Denver is a huge market for thieves of these vehicles. a buddy of mine just got his 04 blue hatch WRX stolen from in front of his house -- he even had the anti-theft mode enabled on his access port and still got yanked. i think because of these thefts, not many people are in the market to buy subarus right now.

I also have an 05 OBXT for sale for $8500 with a fresh EJ255 in it. nobody is biting on that either.
That's surprising! I've heard about the thefts going around, even here in COS.

I fixed up my boss' '08 Legacy (not a GT) and sold it on CL. I had a crap ton of interest in it and surprisingly sold it for more than I expected ($5900). Subarus are like gold around here!
Dcsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:48 PM   #14
JazzAvi8r
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 472899
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: colorado springs
Vehicle:
2005 LGT

Default

whoa, that's impressive. that's more than i paid for my 05 Legacy GT! maybe it's because it's tax time?!? who knows. maybe i just suck at marketing.
JazzAvi8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:50 PM   #15
Dcsport
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 408835
Join Date: Dec 2014
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Vehicle:
2003 Subaru WRX Wago
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzAvi8r View Post
whoa, that's impressive. that's more than i paid for my 05 Legacy GT! maybe it's because it's tax time?!? who knows. maybe i just suck at marketing.
Pics look good. I just threw it on CL and didn't even get a chance to get good pics. Took crappy ones in the garage but I did fully detail the car. Saw yours is on CL. Not a lot of STis out there for sale, so figured you'd get more interest.
Dcsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:52 PM   #16
JazzAvi8r
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 472899
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: colorado springs
Vehicle:
2005 LGT

Default

i've garnered like 5 people on various FB groups that have expressed interest. nothing from CL, auto trader, car gurus, ebay, or the forums. the five people that were interested didnt have the money and/or wanted to do payments.
JazzAvi8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:56 PM   #17
Dcsport
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 408835
Join Date: Dec 2014
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Vehicle:
2003 Subaru WRX Wago
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzAvi8r View Post
i've garnered like 5 people on various FB groups that have expressed interest. nothing from CL, auto trader, car gurus, ebay, or the forums. the five people that were interested didnt have the money and/or wanted to do payments.
Hmmm yeah that is a difficult price point. Never thought of it that much. Finding a cash buyer for a $5-6k car is super easy, but $15-20k, not so much.

Buyers will have to get bank approved, full-coverage insurance, etc. But geez, pretty much a new car you got for nearly half the cost of a new STi (same drivetrain!). Maybe I'm leaning more toward selling my '03 now and keeping the '08. Might get $5-6k outta that '03 if I'm lucky.
Dcsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:10 PM   #18
JazzAvi8r
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 472899
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: colorado springs
Vehicle:
2005 LGT

Default

yeah, that's probably a better idea!

I see you put a bid in on my car :P well played, sir. well played
JazzAvi8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:34 PM   #19
Dcsport
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 408835
Join Date: Dec 2014
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Vehicle:
2003 Subaru WRX Wago
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzAvi8r View Post
yeah, that's probably a better idea!

I see you put a bid in on my car :P well played, sir. well played
Nope wasn't me. I did add it to my watch list, it though.
Dcsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:52 PM   #20
JazzAvi8r
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 472899
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: colorado springs
Vehicle:
2005 LGT

Default

lol. my bad. I saw DCSnowman and just thought the similarity in screen names meant it was you :P
JazzAvi8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:53 PM   #21
JazzAvi8r
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 472899
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: colorado springs
Vehicle:
2005 LGT

Default

i just took a video doing a full walk around on the car. i'll be posting the youtube link to the ebay thread shortly.
JazzAvi8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:58 PM   #22
Dcsport
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 408835
Join Date: Dec 2014
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Vehicle:
2003 Subaru WRX Wago
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzAvi8r View Post
lol. my bad. I saw DCSnowman and just thought the similarity in screen names meant it was you :P
LOL that is ironic!
Dcsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:13 PM   #23
JazzAvi8r
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 472899
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: colorado springs
Vehicle:
2005 LGT

Default

JazzAvi8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:48 PM   #24
Dcsport
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 408835
Join Date: Dec 2014
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Vehicle:
2003 Subaru WRX Wago
Silver

Default

Looks good! That's a very good idea to do for eBay since people are probably remote buyers. Saw another one on there that had 55k miles but bids were up over $18k so I'm sure you'll have luck on there!

I dig the Recaro kid seat I have a 1-year old son so this may be a must-buy for me once he's forward facing!
Dcsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:24 AM   #25
JazzAvi8r
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 472899
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: colorado springs
Vehicle:
2005 LGT

Default

That seat also goes backwards. We've had it since the day my son was born. If you want one, i can get you on base to buy one at the exchange. I think they run about $175 tax free
JazzAvi8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.