Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday February 18, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2019, 02:51 PM   #151
KC
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 442
Join Date: Oct 1999
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: RI/SE Mass
Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k | 14 BRZ (SSC)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarmintCong View Post
To Subaru, Sport doesn't mean what you think it means.
Yeah, it's like when you call a little brother "sport". You go, sport.

--kC
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:59 PM   #152
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
06/04 For 18 Imp 4dr Sprt

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarmintCong View Post
To Subaru, Sport doesn't mean what you think it means.
Thought I remembered someone here saying the "Sport" moniker is treated the same with other manufacturers. Subaru isn't the only one that doesn't offer more power in their Sport. What other manufacturer has a "Sport" that gives a different engine option? Which ones don't? I do agree that it is deflating to hear that word and not get more engine; but, if it's the "norm"......
JustyWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:05 PM   #153
DaddyJ
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 260763
Join Date: Oct 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
Yeah, it's like when you call a little brother "sport". You go, sport.



--kC


Or in relation to a real sport, itís like the NBA... the flashier and more dramatic you are without adding any skill (power), the more people willl pay attention to you!
DaddyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:46 PM   #154
Sub!eDr!ver
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 88924
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Vehicle:
2014 Cadenza, Sedona
Past: Tribeca LGTx2 Justy

Default

When you lose a contest, and don't act out too much, you're a good sport.
So, the Legacy Sport loses gracefully.
Sub!eDr!ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:34 PM   #155
4S-TURBO
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67807
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Castle Grayscale
Vehicle:
380 Addicted to
Edicts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
Here's the bitter pill to swallow... sure, it has AWD and the Camry and Accord don't, but they're only around 3500lbs.

I think Subaru could do better to add lightness. Can't keep on adding weight and then figuring out that hp needs to go up because of the added weight... which adds more weight... needing more hp... I know it's becuase of all the safety stuff that keeps getting added, but it's all creating a hugely circular reference.

Subaru is reaching the point of maximum output in their engines for mass (ie not STi) use right now. That may cause to be a problem of stagnation in the next handful of years... unless they come up with a bigger (heavier) engine that can do 300+hp.

--kC
Iím more optimistic. This is their first SGP Legacy. Theyíve had a while to take input from the SGP Impreza and Crosstrek and apply it where they can to the larger Legacy. I think the second gen SGP Legacy will be lightened a little where they can. They were able to achieve this with the BL/BP which was a second gen platform from the BE/BH. We know they wonít be bumping output because of the CVT, and unless theyíre planning on adding 500 lbs with battery propulsion, losing weight will be the only way they could improve this carís performance moving forward.
4S-TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:15 PM   #156
VarmintCong
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 379605
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Peabody, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Civic Sport
2012 Outback 2.5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustyWRC View Post
Thought I remembered someone here saying the "Sport" moniker is treated the same with other manufacturers. Subaru isn't the only one that doesn't offer more power in their Sport. What other manufacturer has a "Sport" that gives a different engine option? Which ones don't? I do agree that it is deflating to hear that word and not get more engine; but, if it's the "norm"......
You talking about my Civic Sport? It has +5 hp, man!

I actually like the Sport options from Subaru and Honda - you get some nice cosmetic upgrades for minimal money, just wish they'd also offer some real upgrades in a separate package.
VarmintCong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:55 PM   #157
neg_matnik
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132389
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: SF Bay Area
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon SGM
2003 SV1000S, 2014 DL650

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
Yeah, it's like when you call a little brother "sport". You go, sport.

--kC
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyJ View Post
Or in relation to a real sport, itís like the NBA... the flashier and more dramatic you are without adding any skill (power), the more people willl pay attention to you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub!eDr!ver View Post
When you lose a contest, and don't act out too much, you're a good sport.
So, the Legacy Sport loses gracefully.
LOL !
neg_matnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:05 PM   #158
neg_matnik
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132389
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: SF Bay Area
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon SGM
2003 SV1000S, 2014 DL650

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarmintCong View Post
You talking about my Civic Sport? It has +5 hp, man!

I actually like the Sport options from Subaru and Honda - you get some nice cosmetic upgrades for minimal money, just wish they'd also offer some real upgrades in a separate package.
Not to mention that a base Accord 1.5T with a CVT reaches 60 in 7.3 secs.
That's over a second faster than an FB25 Legacy and that's within .2 sec of the outgoing 256-hp Legacy 3.6R...
And, a manual is available in the Accord for those who still care.
So, IMO, overall, the Accord is a little more deserving of the "Sport" moniker...
neg_matnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:38 PM   #159
NZrex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340330
Join Date: Dec 2012
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
WRB

Default

So we're now at a point where even Toyota makes more exciting looking cars than Subaru?

Also that interior looks like it's from the 1980s when you compare it to say even the new merc A class which is a segment size below?
NZrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:52 PM   #160
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Mahwah, New Jersey
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Default

1980's must've looked different in Kiwiland.

Subaru has made "interesting" looking cars for years. It's time they take a break and continue making more money. Toyota wants the excitement, thus why their designs have been more radical lately. Eventually their tradeoff will be complete when Subaru goes full vanilla in want of a sporty vehicle and they have to ask Toyota for help.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:56 PM   #161
4S-TURBO
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67807
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Castle Grayscale
Vehicle:
380 Addicted to
Edicts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZrex View Post
So we're now at a point where even Toyota makes more exciting looking cars than Subaru?

Also that interior looks like it's from the 1980s when you compare it to say even the new merc A class which is a segment size below?
Subaru targets Americans who were in their 30s in the 80s.
4S-TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:59 PM   #162
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Mahwah, New Jersey
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Default

So does that mean they've finally hooked you with this new model with that throwback interior, Mr. Turbo?
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:03 AM   #163
NZrex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340330
Join Date: Dec 2012
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4S-TURBO View Post
Subaru targets Americans who were in their 30s in the 80s.
Haha that's actually pretty witty
NZrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:03 AM   #164
4S-TURBO
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67807
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Castle Grayscale
Vehicle:
380 Addicted to
Edicts

Default

I know Gang Starr lyrics. C’mon.
4S-TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:05 AM   #165
NZrex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340330
Join Date: Dec 2012
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
1980's must've looked different in Kiwiland.

Subaru has made "interesting" looking cars for years. It's time they take a break and continue making more money. Toyota wants the excitement, thus why their designs have been more radical lately. Eventually their tradeoff will be complete when Subaru goes full vanilla in want of a sporty vehicle and they have to ask Toyota for help.
Haha fair enough. Question is, will the next gen STI follow suit with a safe design or will it look sensationally aggressive to wrap up its revolutionary 400hp hybrid drivetrain? (Just wishful thinking on my part).
NZrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:05 AM   #166
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Mahwah, New Jersey
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4S-TURBO View Post
I know Gang Starr lyrics. Címon.
Still no Guru.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:46 AM   #167
alexd3498
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 461055
Join Date: Jan 2017
Vehicle:
2015 Ford Focus ST
Magnetic

Default

So let me guess, no CD player?
alexd3498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:09 AM   #168
4S-TURBO
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67807
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Castle Grayscale
Vehicle:
380 Addicted to
Edicts

Default

Tape.
4S-TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:19 AM   #169
bugatti0628
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 447323
Join Date: May 2016
Default

the new legacy xt and touring is a nice choice over the 19 wrx cvt right now. slightly less hp, but a lot more torque and an upgraded cvt. I still think the 2.4 dit is being intentionally held back. a light tune, and upgraded exhaust may do wonders for the engine.
bugatti0628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:27 AM   #170
bugatti0628
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 447323
Join Date: May 2016
Default

there is a pressing development here though. the fa20 dit in the WRX is only tuned to put out 268hp, and about 260tq. The engine in the legacy is a FA24 dit instead of 20, yet it is factory tuned to put 260hp, but it has more torque than the wrx right now while getting fuel economy on regular grade fuel. subaru would not release the new wrx with similar hp and less torque than the legacy xt. What does subaru really have in store for the next wrx and STI.
bugatti0628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:32 AM   #171
Straight6
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 419593
Join Date: Apr 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatti0628 View Post
there is a pressing development here though. the fa20 dit in the WRX is only tuned to put out 268hp, and about 260tq. The engine in the legacy is a FA24 dit instead of 20, yet it is factory tuned to put 260hp, but it has more torque than the wrx right now while getting fuel economy on regular grade fuel. subaru would not release the new wrx with similar hp and less torque than the legacy xt. What does subaru really have in store for the next wrx and STI.
Best case scenario, WRX retains FA20 with 280 hp bump and STI gets FA24 with 320 hp.
Straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:42 PM   #172
bugatti0628
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 447323
Join Date: May 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight6 View Post
Best case scenario, WRX retains FA20 with 280 hp bump and STI gets FA24 with 320 hp.
i wonder how big the down pipe is on the legacy xt
bugatti0628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:32 AM   #173
SVX WRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 26358
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Da Burgh
Vehicle:
2013 Chewbaccamobile

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatti0628 View Post
What does subaru really have in store for the next wrx and STI.

more recalls?
SVX WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:56 PM   #174
scooby_wooby
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 79653
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Menifee
Vehicle:
2005 LGT
Silver

Default

Crossing my fingers for a Spec-b in the future. But I know Subaru will crush my heart.
scooby_wooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:47 AM   #175
Pre
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 139693
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
Still no Guru.
Be very careful speaking about him. He is one of the greatest and is 6 feet under coming up on 9 years now. No jokes about Keith please!
Pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.