Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Reviews > Car Part Reviews

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-14-2019, 08:37 PM   #1
Special_k4130
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 413689
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2019 WRX
CWP

Default AWE Tuning Touring Edition Exhaust - 2019 WRX

I pulled the trigger on the AWE Touring Edition catback exhaust for my 19 WRX with 6k miles and installed yesterday. I've only personally had experience with Corsa in the past on my 14 STI, which was a contender this time around. I wanted to try something new. What won me over for AWE though, was the 4in black diamond tips, the unique sound, and their customer service. Shout out to John Voss for answering all my questions over the last several weeks! No issues with shipping through Import Image Racing...Dane and Josh are always a pleasure to work with.

Anyway, I chose the Touring over the Track as I wanted a deeper and refined tone that wouldn't cause any angst with the family in the car. I also didn't want any rasp or drone. This was spot on. I noticed it's actually quieter than stock at idle which was surprising.

Straightforward install with the Grimmspeed adapter to the stock J-pipe and I used the OEM hangers to mitigate NVH to the cabin, which was AWE's recommendation. Fit is snug and on point. That said, my one critique is that the bolt holes on the mid-pipe are too large for the Grimmspeed adapter bolt head and washer. Not a show stopper. A larger washer on each side quickly fixed it, with plenty of thread left to secure it. When I got to the tips my OCD kicked in trying to get both sides even so I think that actually took up a big chunk of time. The removable/adjustable tips are pretty cool, will definitely make deep cleaning a lot easier.

The driving experience has predictably changed for the better and is overall more enjoyable throughout the RPM band. Maybe it's just a placebo effect, but since I installed it, rowing through the gears even in city driving is a lot more fluid and smooth.

As for other engine mods, I just have a Grimmspeed EBCS and Cobb AP and that's it. E-tune by BrenTuning. Extremely pleased with the set up now and I hope this helps anyone who's in the market for an exhaust.

Some start-up vids and pics:

Cold start. Probably should have done this outside as there's quite a bit of reverb from the wall behind me.

Warm start.

Special_k4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:39 PM   #2
DryIce307
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (1)

Member#: 61879
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Ltd
WRB

Have you had any issues with the black paint on the tips chipping or flaking off? I like the black tips, but I had issues with the black tips on a different car where it basically just came off over time.
DryIce307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 02:19 AM   #3
GoFrogs
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 507317
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Pure Red

Thumbs up

AWE Tuning does great stuff in the VW/Audi world, so their quality should be no surprise on the Subaru end of the spectrum.

the 4" tips look great. I wish someone make oval tips for the WRX/STi (yes, like on the EVO) as that would fill out the exhaust cutout nicely; or possibly even some rectangular tips like the the MOPAR world.

--- EDIT ---

October 2020

So I went ahead and bought this Touring cat-back during a special promotion. I chose the 4 chrome tips as I wanted to keep it low key and make it appear as stock as possible. Not sure how 4 4" tips keep it low key, but that is what I will keep telling myself.

Installation was fairly straight forward. IT will HELP if you have an exhaust hanger tool, but I didn't and things came off and went on will some minor persuasion, but that is where silicone spray is your friend.

I tightened the clamps down to the recommended values plus 5 more; i.e. 45 ft-lb on the three inch clamps and about 20-ish on the tip clamps. I'm still semi-afraid/paranoid the tips will loosen and fall off.

The Tips...

My tips are flush with the bumper/cutout holes and do not protrude like you have in your pictures; however, I may change that. I only have (barely) one popsicle stick width between the tips and the plastic exhaust cutouts. The 4" tips don't leave a lot of room back there (hence my comment above about single oval tips).

The Sound...

The sound is louder, yes. The car purrs with more volume, especially at cold start and during warm idle. My exhaust is still in the 800-1000 mile break-in period, but I can tell things are mellowing out ever so slightly.

As far as drone...yes, I believe there is some drone. The drone is RPM and engine load dependent.

When cruising on the highway, cruise set to 65-75 mph, the exhaust is quite and virtually unnoticeable when the MPG meter has 3 or more green bars. As the green bars hit 2 or less, the exhaust note/noise is more present. An example of this is when the car is going up an incline in the road.

If the engine needs to dig in harder (Yellow bars on the MPG meter) and more load is applied by say a steeper incline, and boost begins to rise, the exhaust note becomes more pronounced and takes on a drone-like tone.

The drone-like tone is not uncomfortable, but even with the 180* technology in the AWE mufflers, drone is not 100% eliminated.

Now, I could be confusing more noise as drone, but again, my new exhaust is still in the suggested break-in period.

In Conclusion...

Overall, I am happy with the system. It's loud enough to know there is more going on and when you want to really step on it, the sound does pick up accordingly. But it's nice to know it can remain in the background and not always be in your face.

In the future, I may get in contact with AWE and order the Track Edition back pipes from them to see about a more "kick in the pants" sound. But give me some time...

Last edited by GoFrogs; 11-25-2020 at 02:16 PM. Reason: I bought the same system
GoFrogs is offline   Reply With Quote