Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday August 20, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Tribeca Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-23-2018, 11:48 PM   #1
WYSubaru
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 154884
Vehicle:
2005 Baja turbo
silver

Default B9 Tribeca for college car?

Looking to get a car for our daughter for college. Looked at a 09' Forester and she liked it. Noticed a dealer from out of town has a few B9 Tribeca's for sale. Would they be worth looking into or is a Forester a better option?
WYSubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2018, 08:09 AM   #2
Sub!eDr!ver
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 88924
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2014 Cadenza, Sedona
Past: Tribeca LGTx2 Justy

The Tribeca is a bigger vehicle, and built like a tank. I had a few accidents with mine and it held up surprisingly well. Never owned a Forester, so I don't know about its durability.
Sub!eDr!ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:57 PM   #3
WYSubaru
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 154884
Vehicle:
2005 Baja turbo
silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub!eDr!ver View Post
The Tribeca is a bigger vehicle, and built like a tank. I had a few accidents with mine and it held up surprisingly well. Never owned a Forester, so I don't know about its durability.
Any issues with the Tribaca? Was it reliable?
These are the Subaru's we're looking into.
1- 06' Outback 2.5XT Limited(122K)
2- 09' Forester 2.5XT Limited(129K)
3- 06' B9 Tribeca Limited 7 passenger(121K)
4- 2006 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition(153K)
Any one better than the other?

Last edited by WYSubaru; 08-24-2018 at 10:50 PM.
WYSubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:29 AM   #4
Sub!eDr!ver
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 88924
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2014 Cadenza, Sedona
Past: Tribeca LGTx2 Justy

Mine was reliable. The issues I had were CV axle boots, an idler pulley bearing failure, and the head gaskets started leaking around 150K miles (but that was a known issue on most Subarus around then). You should check to see if that Outback 3.0 has had the head gaskets replaced. If not, it'll probably need them soon.

The 3.0 has a timing chain - much longer life than the belt on the 2.5 turbo, but those should have been changed at 90K, so you shouldn't have to worry until 180K.

One detail: the '07 B9 has Aux In on the radio, while the '06 does not, so that limits your Audio sources.

The Forester is a smaller vehicle than the Outback & Tribeca, so keep that in mind when you choose. I had a Forester loaner when I had my Tribeca in for service and I didn't like the bouncy ride. The Tribeca has a much more controlled ride. A little firm, but not bouncy like the Forester.

The 3.0 is a little weak on torque so you have to rev it to get power, but it revs willingly. The 2.5T will give you good low-end grunt. Turbo spools around 2500RPM.

If I had it to do over again, I'd get an '08 or newer Tribeca - low-end power in the 3.6 feels like the 2.5T. After owning a Tribeca, I'd probably never step down to a Forester. The Outback is nice, but drives and feels like a car. The Tribeca has an SUV feel, though it still drives rather car-like.

Most who own Tribecas love them.
Sub!eDr!ver is offline   Reply With Quote