Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday August 22, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2019, 05:15 PM   #1
PDXREALTOR
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 468393
Join Date: May 2017
Location: PDX OREGON
Vehicle:
2017 STI

Default DW 300 replacement options

I have a DW 300 that has twice now lost pumping pressure at higher demands after the car has idled in mild temps (75-80*f) for extended periods.

I don't need more fuel pump, just reliable. What pumps do you all suggest for a replacement? I prefer a drop in vs. having to modify the hanger, but I'm open to minor mods

I'll be running a 43.5 base and ~ 32 lbs of boost.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by PDXREALTOR; 06-14-2019 at 05:22 PM.
PDXREALTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:14 PM   #2
PWpaperweight
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 474256
Join Date: Sep 2017
Default

I haven't needed or tried one but it looks like aem makes one, Cobb uses it as part of they're kits, maybe due to better reliablility. It kinda seems like thats what they go. Hope someone with experience in them chimes in..
PWpaperweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:01 PM   #3
Rickyh
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 40453
Join Date: Jul 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Metairie, Louisiana
Default

aeromotive stealth 340.
Rickyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:22 PM   #4
nucci
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 276121
Join Date: Mar 2011
Default

I was told the Asnu 330 is good to go by an incredibly reputable guy
nucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:13 PM   #5
user1029
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 57064
Join Date: Mar 2004
Vehicle:
2008 STi IAG built
HTA86 E85 Kel272s Cos IM

Default

I've ran walbro for 60k miles, aeromotive for 50k , now I have 1 AEM/2 Walbros/radium surge for 40k miles. Only my first aeromotive failed because it wasn't hardwired to a constant power source. Point is, anything is better than DW300 which is why IAG makes you sign a waiver if you have the DW300 pump during tuning
user1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:26 PM   #6
PDXREALTOR
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 468393
Join Date: May 2017
Location: PDX OREGON
Vehicle:
2017 STI

Default

It's either walbro 450 or aero 340.

Aero in the lead for plug/ play installation.

I'd like a Radium double hanger with 2 Bosch 044s... But... It's a lot of unnecessary in the midst of other items I need to get off the checklist first.

Or I could replace my 7670 with an 8374

Last edited by PDXREALTOR; 06-17-2019 at 11:37 AM.
PDXREALTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:34 PM   #7
Delphi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 239335
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
WRB

Default

Aem 340?
Delphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:37 PM   #8
TDagen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 163648
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Xona 7864 UHF
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
V9 6mt R180 Brembos

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by user1029 View Post
anything is better than DW300 which is why IAG makes you sign a waiver if you have the DW300 pump during tuning


PDX one thing about Bosch 044s is they are loud as a mofo, just thought I would throw that out there.
TDagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:25 PM   #9
Bru1212
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 178770
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Western,MA
Vehicle:
06 STi
17 Fozz

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by user1029 View Post
I've ran walbro for 60k miles, aeromotive for 50k , now I have 1 AEM/2 Walbros/radium surge for 40k miles. Only my first aeromotive failed because it wasn't hardwired to a constant power source. Point is, anything is better than DW300 which is why IAG makes you sign a waiver if you have the DW300 pump during tuning
Really?! Havent heard about that, anywhere I can do more reading on that? I have a DW 300 with no issues yet but Id switch if its pretty common.
Bru1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:11 PM   #10
2slofouru
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 90539
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lake Charles
Vehicle:
My BOV goes
COVFEFE!

Default

Sucks majorly. I ran a DW300 on my last build and lucked out apparently. Also installed a new one (old one still in the car, but it's been sitting for quite a while now) in my main tank with a 400 in the surge tank for this build. At least the 300 won't be under any load, just keeping the surge tank topped off.

The dw400 is built by bosch, but that may be a bit more than you need, lots of bypassing at idle and fuel temps may get up there. Also may draw too much, unless you already ran a separate power wire setup for the pump.

Would the oem denso supra pump (the one that's supposed to be amazing) fit the oem hanger? There are aftermarket modded ones that supposedly flow well.

Curious to see what you end up with.


Are you absolutely sure it's not the fpr sticking or a voltage loss from bad relay or similar? That's weird to lose two in a row...
2slofouru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 06:17 PM   #11
PDXREALTOR
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 468393
Join Date: May 2017
Location: PDX OREGON
Vehicle:
2017 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slofouru View Post
Sucks majorly. I ran a DW300 on my last build and lucked out apparently. Also installed a new one (old one still in the car, but it's been sitting for quite a while now) in my main tank with a 400 in the surge tank for this build. At least the 300 won't be under any load, just keeping the surge tank topped off.

The dw400 is built by bosch, but that may be a bit more than you need, lots of bypassing at idle and fuel temps may get up there. Also may draw too much, unless you already ran a separate power wire setup for the pump.

Would the oem denso supra pump (the one that's supposed to be amazing) fit the oem hanger? There are aftermarket modded ones that supposedly flow well.

Curious to see what you end up with.


Are you absolutely sure it's not the fpr sticking or a voltage loss from bad relay or similar? That's weird to lose two in a row...
I didn't lose two, this 'issue' happened twice now on the same pump.

My DW 65 did the same thing, but on paper it was about out of spec for my setup so I didn't think it may be the same thing that's happening here and therefor did not investigate further before buying the DW 300.

It's a difficult one to diagnose, because think it's heat related. Whether it's the pump, the wiring, or the fuel was just too hot (find that hard to believe) I don't know.

I'm not sure how hot the relay for the direct wire kit is usually so to say it was 'hot' on the day this happened would mean nothing really.

Since the car is down right now I'll start by throwing in a new pump and then.... if the day ever comes where I can just enjoy the car as it was meant to be enjoyed.... ya know, on the road hauling ass not having motors come in and out, I perhaps see about doing an extended idle in warm weather followed by some WOT pulls.

Picking up an AEM 50-100. Almost the same specs as the DW 300, but drops off more in the upper psi range.... where I won't need it.

TD- thx for the heads up on the B. 044s .... .
PDXREALTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:33 PM   #12
TDagen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 163648
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Xona 7864 UHF
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
V9 6mt R180 Brembos

Default

I copied and pasted my response to someone out of the fuel systems thread from the other day, but I think it may be your issue.

“If you have a lot of pump @ 100%, once the fuel heats up from the pumps running 100%, for example from sitting in traffic or long stop lights, then the pumps get louder. Too much fuel pumping around the system, thru the return and back to the tank, eventually heating the fuel up. At least my Bosch 044 setup did this.

From aeromotive website-Cavitation: A combination of high fuel temperature and low pressure can result in cavitation, where liquid fuel changes to vapor. In a return style EFI fuel system, the most likely place for these conditions to exist in the same place, at the same time, is at fuel pump inlet. Once cavitation starts, it will feed upon itself.

A member (pdxrealtor) recently made a thread about pressure dropping after sitting idling for awhile. My bet is his setup was likely running into this very issue. As the fuel turns to vapor the fuel pressure starts to take a real dump.”
TDagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:52 PM   #13
PDXREALTOR
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 468393
Join Date: May 2017
Location: PDX OREGON
Vehicle:
2017 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDagen View Post
I copied and pasted my response to someone out of the fuel systems thread from the other day, but I think it may be your issue.

If you have a lot of pump @ 100%, once the fuel heats up from the pumps running 100%, for example from sitting in traffic or long stop lights, then the pumps get louder. Too much fuel pumping around the system, thru the return and back to the tank, eventually heating the fuel up. At least my Bosch 044 setup did this.

From aeromotive website-Cavitation: A combination of high fuel temperature and low pressure can result in cavitation, where liquid fuel changes to vapor. In a return style EFI fuel system, the most likely place for these conditions to exist in the same place, at the same time, is at fuel pump inlet. Once cavitation starts, it will feed upon itself.

A member (pdxrealtor) recently made a thread about pressure dropping after sitting idling for awhile. My bet is his setup was likely running into this very issue. As the fuel turns to vapor the fuel pressure starts to take a real dump.
Great info. A couple notes -
1- my pump controller is still at 33/66/100 with switching taking place per the factory maps. So, the extended idling was done at 33% D/cycle.

2- My pump actually did just fine (per the WBO2) until higher pressure zones were reached at which point it loses pumping pressure. Is AEM saying that's what happened to me, or the opposite?

It seems like they are saying the cavitation would happen at low pressures, but I'm not sure if I'm understanding correctly. Does it start at low pressure and only become problematic as pressure demands rise?

3- My tank was above 3/4 full. That seems like a lot of fuel to heat up for fuel to be the issue.

This happened twice as I've noted. This last time, I drove over 50 miles, shut the car off for a couple hours, and when I got back on the road it was still falling off up top. The first time it happened I was back to normal in less than a 1/2 hour of road time.

Another thing I was wondering about after coming across something somewhere or another... is if the FPC unit has an 'impact' sensor. I sat idling for so long because someone tapped my rear bumper in stop n go traffic.

On another note - had the fuel pressure differential feature been active, it should have worked perfectly in this situation. This seems like it could be problematic. If the FPD feature raised IPW to account for the low pressure I'd never know I had a problem in the first place unless I looked at my logs.
PDXREALTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:52 PM   #14
TDagen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 163648
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Xona 7864 UHF
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
V9 6mt R180 Brembos

Default

Well with more information Im now leaning toward dw300 just being **** pumps. Especially after user1029s IAG comment.
TDagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:14 AM   #15
Bru1212
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 178770
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Western,MA
Vehicle:
06 STi
17 Fozz

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDagen View Post
Well with more information Im now leaning toward dw300 just being **** pumps. Especially after user1029s IAG comment.
Me too! Talked to a guy at work without mention which one I had and he already knew there were problems ( he has a Ford st ). So aero 340 e85 or AEM 320 e85? Id like to pick one up for the July 4th sale. I personally havent had any problems that I know of but Im draining the fuel tank of old gas and figured why not.
Bru1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.