Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Archives > NASIOC Archives > SVX Forum Archive

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-19-2000, 09:56 AM   #1
Narso
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1442
Vehicle:
1999 2.5 RS
Aspen White

Question 1995 SVX L - What do you think?

Need a little wisdom from the folks who know. My roommate is looking at used cars. She has found a 1995 SVX L with about 85K miles on it. This is the FWD version of a car that I know is particularly cool. I just need some input. Good, Bad, Ugly? What do you think?

Thanks in advance,
Dan Z.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2000, 10:56 AM   #2
Red95SVXL
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1752
Talking

I have a 95 SVX and love it. If you ask anyone on this board or the Yahoo SVX club they will tell you that the SVX is the best car for the money. That doesn't mean that they are without their own problems. Parts are a little pricy but not outrageous compared to other higher end sports cars. There are two key problem areas with the SVX.
1. The wheel bearings. I have had no wheel bearing problems with mine but apparently many other SVX owners have had to replace their bearings as often as ever 10k.

2. The auto trans. Apparently they cooling/heating system for the transmission is a poor design. The inlet for the coolent clogs resulting is the tranny overheating and dying prematurely. It'll cost $3000 to have the auto tranny clutches replaced. Mine was just done at 100k. Have the car taken to a good transmission place and checked over real good before buying. It'll save $1000's. If it does check out okay. Take it home and change the fluids and have the pan dropped and coolent cleaned about $60 at least once a year. You might also want to think about putting on a seperate tranny cooler.

If you don't mind me asking. How much is it? I paid $8500 for a 95L AWD with 90k last November. Not a scratch on it. Granted it was a great deal because of the impending tranny problems. My guess book value for a FWD 95 would be in the $9000 range with that # of miles. If you'd be interested in taking a drive there is a 95L AWD Green w/53k SVX sitting at Faulkner Subaru in Harrisburg as of yesterday (I went car shopping with a friend). It as two small dings on the passanger side. The dealer qouted $12900 but I'm sure you could get them down to at least 11k. I can foward you the number. Maybe they'd meet you half way. It still has some miledge left under the powertrain warrenty and I think it said it had a 12 month 12k 50% 50% split on repairs from the dealer. Good Luck. They truely are GREAT cars.
Old 07-19-2000, 01:12 PM   #3
Narso
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 2.5 RS
Aspen White

Guys, thanks loads for your input. The car has around 84 k miles and they're asking just under $8000 for it. It sounds like a good deal, even if the tranny is toast. We'll be driving it tomorrow and if it looks good, it comes home with us.

Thanks again,
Dan Z.
Old 07-19-2000, 01:19 PM   #4
Red95SVXL
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Again I would suggest that you take it to a shop and have them take a quick look at the tranny. I've owned other Subaru's and didn't notice that my tranny was about to go at the time I test drove it. A quick trip to the dealer and a $50 charge saved me $750 in bargainning with the dealer. Besides then you get to take the car home for the night more than likely. It'll give you time for you to completely fall in love with the SVX. Even though there were so few made they are quite plentiful if you look hard enough. Dealers seem to have a hard time getting ride of them. Everyone wants a Mustang or an Eclipse and walk right by the SVX in the lot.
Old 07-19-2000, 01:36 PM   #5
Jaxx
Scooby Guru

Member#: 177
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
The 93 W/EJ20K-sold
Subaru-less :(

fun but watch out for the torque stear almost got me killed a couple of times

-jw
Old 07-19-2000, 10:03 PM   #6
arejay
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1916
That's a squeal of a deal! I paid almost 9K for my '92 with 109K miles on it. 'Course, it was in superior mechanical condition. It now has 131K on original transmission and bearings.
Old 07-20-2000, 12:49 AM   #7
Never2phat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1683
Thumbs up

Like "Red" said have it checked over thouroughly. Especially the fluids!!! If any of them look bad that may mean you are going to have huge "fix it" bills later down the road. Not all parts are easy to come by either. I do not belive the front wheel drive SVXs had too many problems with rear bearings though. Don't quote me or anything but that's more of an AWD SVX dilema. I could be wrong. I have a '94 SVX LSI(69k miles) which is AWD and have had no problems with my bearings I am also on my original tranny I attribute that to keeping the fluids changed on a regular basis. So...... If it checks out as a "good" SVX tell her to BUY BUY BUY. She will not regret it.

Driving one of the sexiest damn cars on the road
B.C.
K & N drop in air filter
PIAA 51 = 100w Platinum lows
PIAA 55 = 85 Ion Crystal fogs
Japanese hood emblem on the way
More to come
Old 07-20-2000, 02:30 AM   #8
Never2phat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1683
"Squeal of a deal" -- LOL. Never heard that one before. I'll have to remember that one for future use I paid 14k for my '94 SVX LSI after the trade-in for my SAAB. It had 47k miles on it at the time. Nearly one and a half years later and I still only have 69k miles on it!!! I considered mine a good deal because the car was in immaculate condition inside and out. The mechanicals were all in mint running condition because the original owner had the car taken care of religiously from the dealership he bought it from.

B.C.
Old 07-20-2000, 10:09 AM   #9
svxr8dr
*** Banned ***

Member#: 1702
Vehicle:
2001 2.5 RS-T
Blueridge Pearl

I've got a 1995 SVX L(AWD) and have not had any wheel bearing problems (knock on wood.) and with the proper TLC I thinks this car should last you a good long time.
Old 07-21-2000, 04:49 AM   #10
Narso
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 2.5 RS
Aspen White

Smile

It looks like she's going to get the car. All she needs to do is the paperwork. A few questions about the car, though. The premium fuel requirement - is this a performance or durability issue? Most cars that require high octane gas also have a sensor attached to the ECU that dials back the spark if lower grade gas is detected. Is that what we have here? Also, I'm already thinking about some suspension and stereo modifications. Any suggestions where to start?

Thanks again,
Dan Z.
MY99 Aspen White RS
Old 07-21-2000, 06:20 AM   #11
Red95SVXL
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Tell her congrates on the car. I would definately recommend premium gas. I'm not sure the logistics of why it needs premium. Mine didn't ping the time I put 87 in but the mileage plummeted to about 20. I average between 25-27 for mixed but highway dominant driving on a good hi quality premium (that should be enough of a reason right there). Hess and Sunoco produce the best results for me but watch out for Sunoco. They put ethenol in their gas in the summer around here for emissions. Subaru recommends shying away from ethenol. Apparently it doesn't like seals and hardens them.