Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday November 18, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2018, 07:36 PM   #776
Harriska2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 464377
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Corvallis, OR
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza 5 Dr

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyLR View Post
Has anyone installed an Ecohitch on their 5 Door? I'm wanting to pull your motorcycle trailer and that hitch looks like a good one.
Iím wondering about wiring. Does your trailer need lights? Iíve heard you have to run an electrical wire all the way to the front and hook it to the battery.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:04 PM   #777
GuyLR
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 21811
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta, GA
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza 5 Door
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harriska2 View Post
I’m wondering about wiring. Does your trailer need lights? I’ve heard you have to run an electrical wire all the way to the front and hook it to the battery.
I did buy the EcoHitch and it is really a good one. The wiring is like you said and the trailer harness has a power wire that goes all the way to the battery. The Impreza body harness doesn't have the trailer wiring plug at the rear like the new 2018 Crosstrek does. The Crosstrek trailer harness takes its power for the converter box right from that plug.
GuyLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:53 PM   #778
Brew78
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 465505
Join Date: Apr 2017
Default

I've had my 2017 for a little over a year, and it's still doing great.
The winter MPG suffered a bit, the remote starting not helping I'm sure.
But, now that Spring has finally started to hit New England, this last tank of gas has skyrocketed. It's about 2/3 of the way through the tank and is indicating ~36 MPG.
I won't know the actual number until the next fillup, but it's never been off by more than 1.5. And even worst case rounding up to 2, 34 MPG is still pretty good.

Android Auto continues to glitch out sometimes, either requiring rebooting the phone, the car, or both (which is a pain when you're in the middle of a trip), but "most" of the time it works flawlessly.

Nice having the hatchback - it's a good height to easily get groceries and other cargo in and out of.

I wish it were a little bit taller so our trash barrels would fit in it, but I guess I'd have picked up an Outback in that case. I'm pretty good about not smacking my toddler's head on the door frame, but it's definitely a tight fit getting him into his car seat.

Haven't had any real mechanical problems to deal with.

Overall.. still pretty happy with my purchase. Glad I got it, and the plan is to have it for a very long time. Next one will likely be a larger model though.
Brew78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:18 AM   #779
pbraun42
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 407573
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Northwest Indiana
Vehicle:
2018 2.0 Sport Sedan
Lapis Blue Pearl

Default

I'd like to reply, although mine is a 2018 (but it's still basically the same car.)

Sport sedan, delivered in December of 2017. My first Subaru was a 2001 2.5RS sedan that I took delivery on in December of 2000. I so loved that car. Drove her for 13 years. Never had a car that felt so nimble, so willing, that felt like an extension of me. She never did anything stupid or unexpected, just slight warnings that if I pushed it any further, I wouldn't like what was going to happen.

When I sold her, I desperately wanted a modern RS, but all that was available was the generic Impreza (Please. "Sport" just meant it was the same flabby chassis wearing a track suit.) The Subaru rep at the Chicago auto show said that yeah, the RS was a sweet car, but that kind of car is in the past and if I wanted performance, my only option was a WRX. Not what I wanted to hear, since our job situations had changed and a $40k sports car no longer made sense or fit our budget. So, I took a 3-year lease on a Limited sedan with the CVT hoping that would be enough time for FHI's engineers to wake up. Was totally underwhelmed and uninspired - it felt like a rental car to me and I wasn't the least bit excited.

Then FHI's engineers finally got off their butts and designed a Sport Impreza that actually had mechanical differences! I still had a year to go on the lease, so I couldn't jump on a 2017, but as soon as I could, ordered a 2018. Heck, the STi short-throw shifter was standard this time, not a $300 add-on accessory like on my RS!

It's heavier and, with the 2.0L instead of the 2.5L mill under the hood, not as peppy and eager as the RS. But until they shoehorn the 2.0L from the BRZ into this chassis, this is as close as I'm going to get to my beloved RS.

Handling is very grippy with the stock Yokos (on the RS, as soon as the Bridgestones wore out I put Kumho shoes on her and that's what she wore until I sold her). In fact, the Yokos have impressed me enough so far on wet, snowy, and dry that I'll probably just stick with them when the time comes for new ones.

Interior is MUCH better than the 2015 I had. Steering wheel is covered in nice, grippy leather and contoured well, the shifter is just plain fun to flick back and forth, the HK stereo sounds good enough, the seats are supportive and hold me in place laterally where I had to use my arms to keep myself in place on the 2015.

Highway ride is nice. Steering is nice and quick, although, as others have mentioned, the turn-signal ratchet needs a couple more teeth in both directions.

I'm worried, however, that I was down 2 quarts of oil after 6200 miles. Just brought her in for the 6000-mile service today, and the service manager wants me to monitor the oil level once a week to see if it's something that they need to dig deeper into. Apple CarPlay works well (a few annoyances that are Apple's fault). Getting used to the whole keyless entry/push-button start thing. A bit concerned since it seems the ECU is a bit unhappy since this morning's service - I had a few hesitations on the way home from work this evening. I'll see how she behaves tomorrow.

Overall, I'm happy. I can see another fun, long-term relationship between us.

Last edited by pbraun42; 05-07-2018 at 11:42 AM.
pbraun42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:03 AM   #780
carcrazy85
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 465046
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Yonkers, NY
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbraun42 View Post
I'd like to reply, although mine is a 2018 (but it's still basically the same car.)

Sport sedan, delivered in December of 2017. My first Subaru was a 2001 2.5RS sedan that I took delivery on in December of 2000. I so loved that car. Drove her for 13 years. Never had a car that felt so nimble, so willing, that felt like an extension of me. She never did anything stupid or unexpected, just slight warnings that if I pushed it any further, I wouldn't like what was going to happen.

When I sold her, I desperately wanted a modern RS, but all that was available was the generic Impreza (Please. "Sport" just meant it was the same flabby chassis wearing a track suit.) The Subaru rep at the Chicago auto show said that yeah, the RS was a sweet car, but that kind of car is in the past and if I wanted performance, my only option was a WRX. Not what I wanted to hear, since our job situations had changed and a $40k sports car no longer made sense or fit our budget, I took a 3-year lease on a Limited sedan with the CVT. Was totally underwhelmed and uninspired - it felt like a rental car to me and I wasn't the least bit excited.

Then FHI's engineers finally got off their butts and designed a Sport Impreza that actually had mechanical differences! I still had a year to go on the lease, so I couldn't jump on a 2017, but as soon as I could, ordered a 2018. Heck, the STi short-throw shifter was standard this time, not a $300 add-on accessory like on my RS!

It's heavier and, with the 2.0L instead of the 2.5L mill under the hood, not as peppy and eager as the RS. But until they shoehorn the 2.0L from the BRZ into this chassis, this is as close as I'm going to get to my beloved RS.

Handling is very grippy with the stock Yokos (on the RS, as soon as the Bridgestones wore out I put Kumho shoes on her and that's what she wore until I sold her). In fact, the Yokos have impressed me enough so far on wet, snowy, and dry that I'll probably just stick with them when the time comes for new ones.

Interior is MUCH better than the 2015 I had. Steering wheel is covered in nice, grippy leather and contoured well, the shifter is just plain fun to flick back and forth, the HK stereo sounds good enough, the seats are supportive and hold me in place laterally where I had to use my arms to keep myself in place on the 2015.

Highway ride is nice. Steering is nice and quick, although, as others have mentioned, the turn-signal ratchet needs a couple more teeth in both directions.

I'm worried, however, that I was down 2 quarts of oil after 6200 miles. Just brought her in for the 6000-mile service today, and the service manager wants me to monitor the oil level once a week to see if it's something that they need to dig deeper into. Apple CarPlay works well (a few annoyances that are Apple's fault). Getting used to the whole keyless entry/push-button start thing. A bit concerned since it seems the ECU is a bit unhappy since this morning's service - I had a few hesitations on the way home from work this evening. I'll see how she behaves tomorrow.

Overall, I'm happy. I can see another fun, long-term relationship between us.
Great buy with the new Impreza Sport. I have a 17 Sport with the 5 speed too.
The oil will be consumed especially when you have the 5 speed. Consumption will vary depending upon your driving style. Keeping the rpms high and rev matching at high rpm will consume oil quicker. Also I have noticed on mine that when I downshift to 4th to go up a slight hill doing 50+ for a little bit I would smell the smell the smelly smelly the smelly smelly that smells of oil being burnt (lol Sponge Bob reference). It isn't that bad as long as u don't hold the gear too long under load.
So yeah I am surprised you even made it to 6200miles. The intervals are 6000miles. I myself did my first oil change early at just over 3700miles. My second oil change happened about 500miles before the 6000. My oil low light went on so I added a quart as it says in the manual. Then had my oil change done a few days later. I am surprised that your oil light didn't turn on when you were that low. If you read the manual it will tell you about the oil consumption is normal and varies on driving conditions. I don't see any problem with yours just want to know if that low oil light went on.
As you might know the Subaru doesn't have a maintenance light. So when the low oil light goes on it is time to change. If it goes on way early like over 1000miles before the 6000 then you might be driving too aggressive or the oil burning off at exceeded rate.

Last edited by carcrazy85; 05-06-2018 at 09:10 AM.
carcrazy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:39 AM   #781
pbraun42
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 407573
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Northwest Indiana
Vehicle:
2018 2.0 Sport Sedan
Lapis Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy85 View Post
Great buy with the new Impreza Sport. I have a 17 Sport with the 5 speed too.
The oil will be consumed especially when you have the 5 speed. Consumption will vary depending upon your driving style. Keeping the rpms high and rev matching at high rpm will consume oil quicker. Also I have noticed on mine that when I downshift to 4th to go up a slight hill doing 50+ for a little bit I would smell the smell the smelly smelly the smelly smelly that smells of oil being burnt (lol Sponge Bob reference). It isn't that bad as long as u don't hold the gear too long under load.
So yeah I am surprised you even made it to 6200miles. The intervals are 6000miles. I myself did my first oil change early at just over 3700miles. My second oil change happened about 500miles before the 6000. My oil low light went on so I added a quart as it says in the manual. Then had my oil change done a few days later. I am surprised that your oil light didn't turn on when you were that low. If you read the manual it will tell you about the oil consumption is normal and varies on driving conditions. I don't see any problem with yours just want to know if that low oil light went on.
As you might know the Subaru doesn't have a maintenance light. So when the low oil light goes on it is time to change. If it goes on way early like over 1000miles before the 6000 then you might be driving too aggressive or the oil burning off at exceeded rate.
Thanks. I just need to pay closer attention now and get a feel for what's "normal." I didn't see that kind of consumption with the '01 2.5RS, and I know I didn't with the '15 2.0 Limited, but it was significantly harder to drive that CVT in anything approaching "fun mode."

Since I was still in the "break-in period," I didn't do anything insane like hi-rev clutch dumps, but after 3k I just **may** have been driving a little more aggressively .

That said, what's the general consensus on oil brand/type? After my first oil change on the RS I stuck with Amsoil, but I know that they now come filled with synthetic from the factory. The manual says to use Subaru-branded oil, which I'm pretty sure is just private-labeled synthetic and the manual's words are a marketing ploy to get you to funnel your $$ to Subaru.

When my oil light came on in Dayton a week ago, I just found the closest Wal-mart and picked up a couple quarts of Castrol Edge. I'm thinking I should just pick up a case of something and keep it in the garage so I can easily top off when necessary.

Last edited by pbraun42; 05-07-2018 at 04:23 PM.
pbraun42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:53 AM   #782
carcrazy85
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 465046
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Yonkers, NY
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbraun42 View Post
Thanks. I just need to pay closer attention now and get a feel for what's "normal." I didn't see that kind of consumption with the '01 2.5RS, and I know I didn't with the '15 2.0 Limited, but it was significantly harder to drive that CVT in anything approaching "fun mode."

Since I was still in the "break-in period," I didn't do anything insane like hi-rev clutch dumps, but after 3k I just **may** have been driving a little more aggressively .

That said, what's the general consensus on oil brand/type? After my first oil change on the RS I stuck with Amsoil, but I know that they come filled with synthetic from the factory. The manual says to use Subaru-branded oil, which I'm pretty sure is just private-labeled synthetic and the manual's words are a marketing ploy to get you to funnel your $$ to Subaru.

When my oil light came on in Dayton a week ago, I just found the closest Wal-mart and picked up a couple quarts of Castrol Edge. I'm thinking I should just pick up a case of something and keep it in the garage so I can easily top off when necessary.
My first oil change I used the Subaru 0w20. Second and third oil change I used Valoline 0w20 Full Syn. As I approach my next oil change I am looking at Liqui Moly 5w30 Next Gen Full Syn. According the chart it's suited for American and Asian cars. Subaru is listed on the bottle. The 5w30 Next Gen has better characteristics then the 0w20 they make.
carcrazy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:20 PM   #783
Angelus911
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89967
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
DGM

Default

What would be the point of running an oil other than the 0w-20 that Subaru requires?
Angelus911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:28 PM   #784
carcrazy85
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 465046
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Yonkers, NY
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus911 View Post
What would be the point of running an oil other than the 0w-20 that Subaru requires?
The 0w20 is a very light oil which is good for winter temps. Not really ideal for summer temps since it's so thin. Also it's designed for fuel economy. The 5w30 or even 5w20 will be more beneficial for the motor. Also it's good to use a oil additive to help cut back the oil consumption.
carcrazy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:21 PM   #785
carcrazy85
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 465046
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Yonkers, NY
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Crystal White Pearl

Default

I am wondering how many people own a Impreza Sport with 5speed manual.
When I got my Sport with 5speed manual last year in March the dealer said people mostly request the CVT.
I went to the dealer a few weeks ago to see how things were going. The sales person said he believes my Sport was the only 5speed they sold to date.
Just this past week I was at a dealer in Rye, NY. I saw a Impreza Sport parked in the lot. I walked up to peek inside and was sad to see the CVT. I just don't see how someone could get the Sport trim with a CVT. It's a Sport trim not a Touring trim lol.
So yeah this is a roll call to all the people who have the Impreza Sport with 5speed manual. Well it's more like a poll. List your County and State to see which part of states have the higher number of Impreza Sport with 5speed manual sold.
1. Westchester NY
carcrazy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:02 PM   #786
Harriska2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 464377
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Corvallis, OR
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza 5 Dr

Default

The 5 speed I drove was pretty horrible. Our 97 wagon was so bad we had to replace the clutch and subaru actually discontinued the original clutch for a newly redesigned one. Muuuuuch better but I don’t think subaru is well known for good clutch systems.
Harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:25 PM   #787
carcrazy85
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 465046
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Yonkers, NY
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harriska2 View Post
The 5 speed I drove was pretty horrible. Our 97 wagon was so bad we had to replace the clutch and subaru actually discontinued the original clutch for a newly redesigned one. Muuuuuch better but I donít think subaru is well known for good clutch systems.
My 5speed drives like dream. The clutch is amazing and very smooth. Gear changes are sublime. Engagement is precise. I don't see how you thought it was horrible. When i give rides in my 5speed people would think it's a auto by how well it is.
carcrazy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:18 AM   #788
Supraru
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23313
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Collegeville,Pa
Vehicle:
99' 2.5Rs
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy85 View Post
I am wondering how many people own a Impreza Sport with 5speed manual.
When I got my Sport with 5speed manual last year in March the dealer said people mostly request the CVT.
I went to the dealer a few weeks ago to see how things were going. The sales person said he believes my Sport was the only 5speed they sold to date.
Just this past week I was at a dealer in Rye, NY. I saw a Impreza Sport parked in the lot. I walked up to peek inside and was sad to see the CVT. I just don't see how someone could get the Sport trim with a CVT. It's a Sport trim not a Touring trim lol.
So yeah this is a roll call to all the people who have the Impreza Sport with 5speed manual. Well it's more like a poll. List your County and State to see which part of states have the higher number of Impreza Sport with 5speed manual sold.
1. Westchester NY
People donít buy them because they are a dying breed. No one wants a manual anymore especially with advances in ďautoĒ transmissions. Also for how slow it is most enthusiasts will just up their game to a base Wrx. In my professional opinion have owning a Cvt impreza and driving manuals on test drives I believe the 5 speeds are very noticeably slower. Itís bad enough the car is already a slow turd to begin with but the 5 speed just feels horrible in that car.
Supraru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:26 AM   #789
carcrazy85
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 465046
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Yonkers, NY
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraru View Post
People donít buy them because they are a dying breed. No one wants a manual anymore especially with advances in ďautoĒ transmissions. Also for how slow it is most enthusiasts will just up their game to a base Wrx. In my professional opinion have owning a Cvt impreza and driving manuals on test drives I believe the 5 speeds are very noticeably slower. Itís bad enough the car is already a slow turd to begin with but the 5 speed just feels horrible in that car.
I don't see how you can call the 5speed slow. I find my 5speed to be quick really quick. I can shift quickly and get upto speed faster then any auto. The 5speed is amazing and I don't see how you could say such things. I know it's your opinion. Yet in my opinion the 5 speed is way more responsive.
carcrazy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:59 AM   #790
Supraru
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23313
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Collegeville,Pa
Vehicle:
99' 2.5Rs
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy85 View Post
I don't see how you can call the 5speed slow. I find my 5speed to be quick really quick. I can shift quickly and get upto speed faster then any auto. The 5speed is amazing and I don't see how you could say such things. I know it's your opinion. Yet in my opinion the 5 speed is way more responsive.
I can say it because I work as a tech at a large Subaru dealership for the last decade. So I think Iíd give the nod to someone who drives these every day on top of owning one and have driven multiple manual sports. They feel slower more dull compared to a cvt. Hence the professional opinion. Is this your first car or manual car? Not many people would call a sport impreza quick ever....
Supraru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:28 AM   #791
carcrazy85
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 465046
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Yonkers, NY
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraru View Post
I can say it because I work as a tech at a large Subaru dealership for the last decade. So I think Iíd give the nod to someone who drives these every day on top of owning one and have driven multiple manual sports. They feel slower more dull compared to a cvt. Hence the professional opinion. Is this your first car or manual car? Not many people would call a sport impreza quick ever....
This my second manual car. I had no idea are a professional tech. I just saying what I know from actually owning a Impreza Sport. This transmission hasn't yet me down and I get off the line faster then all the autos on the highway. It's all about how you maintain each gear. With a manual you have that choice of gear management. Yeah the CVT has paddles but isn't the same. I am not bashing CVT. I just shocked by how little people don't go for the manual. I find it to be great and all my passengers are impressed by it's quickness. Also I don't hold my gears that long. I barely past 3.5k when I shift and it's lower on the street driving. The past two weeks I have averaged 27mpg. So yeah you can say what you want but I know the 5speed is amazing.
carcrazy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:01 PM   #792
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Blackstone, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red - OLDKID

Default

I drove manual sport Subies exclusively for almost 10 years.

1) I wanted the extra MPG the CVT provides.

2) I wanted the safest vehicle possible for my loved ones to feel safe in whenever I let them borrow the car, whether friends visiting or young ones borrowing the car. EyeSight is CVT only.

3) It's not a sports car, and I didn't want to tease myself into thinking it was despite knowing it isn't. I figured if Subaru gets their act together and offers an STI hatch again, then I'd jump on that at the mid-cycle refresh. Otherwise I know I have an Impreza and it doesn't really need to be a WRX Lite.

4) If it's not a 6-speed then I don't want it. STI and BRZ had fantastic, Aisin transmissions. FXT and WRX, horrible transmissions, with the WRX being way worse.

Last edited by chanomatik; 05-23-2018 at 12:10 PM.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:01 PM   #793
Supraru
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23313
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Collegeville,Pa
Vehicle:
99' 2.5Rs
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy85 View Post
This my second manual car. I had no idea are a professional tech. I just saying what I know from actually owning a Impreza Sport. This transmission hasn't yet me down and I get off the line faster then all the autos on the highway. It's all about how you maintain each gear. With a manual you have that choice of gear management. Yeah the CVT has paddles but isn't the same. I am not bashing CVT. I just shocked by how little people don't go for the manual. I find it to be great and all my passengers are impressed by it's quickness. Also I don't hold my gears that long. I barely past 3.5k when I shift and it's lower on the street driving. The past two weeks I have averaged 27mpg. So yeah you can say what you want but I know the 5speed is amazing.
Not sure that youíre even comprehending what youíre writing. It sounds like all you are arguing is that a manual is faster than the autoís youíve raced off the line. Not even sure you know how they are racing but ok. Then you talk about being able to have gear selection which is always a manual vs auto argument. Iím specifically talking about how driving an impreza sport cvt feels in comparison to an impreza sport 5 speed feels. Not your personal experience with racing people off the line on a highway and how your friends think itís ďquickĒ. Then youíre talking about your mpgís....youíre all over the place. My cvt generally gets about 29/30 ish mpg.
Supraru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:56 PM   #794
carcrazy85
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 465046
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Yonkers, NY
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraru View Post
Not sure that youíre even comprehending what youíre writing. It sounds like all you are arguing is that a manual is faster than the autoís youíve raced off the line. Not even sure you know how they are racing but ok. Then you talk about being able to have gear selection which is always a manual vs auto argument. Iím specifically talking about how driving an impreza sport cvt feels in comparison to an impreza sport 5 speed feels. Not your personal experience with racing people off the line on a highway and how your friends think itís ďquickĒ. Then youíre talking about your mpgís....youíre all over the place. My cvt generally gets about 29/30 ish mpg.
I do understand what I am saying. I never said anything about racing. I said I am faster off the line from like when the light turn green. I am able to get upto speed as quick as any auto. Also as I said I averaged 27mpg with the 5speed. That means I know how to drive and not burn through gas. The Subaru combined rating for the Impreza Sport is 25mpg so I must be doing something right. So yeah I never said anything about racing. I don't race my Subaru. I just know how to drive it and drive it well. Also on the side note I said you have gear management with both CVT with shift paddles and the manual. Just saying it isn't the same feeling as actually doing a shift with a clutch. So please read my post clearly sir.
carcrazy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:22 PM   #795
Supraru
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23313
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Collegeville,Pa
Vehicle:
99' 2.5Rs
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy85 View Post
I do understand what I am saying. I never said anything about racing. I said I am faster off the line from like when the light turn green. I am able to get upto speed as quick as any auto. Also as I said I averaged 27mpg with the 5speed. That means I know how to drive and not burn through gas. The Subaru combined rating for the Impreza Sport is 25mpg so I must be doing something right. So yeah I never said anything about racing. I don't race my Subaru. I just know how to drive it and drive it well. Also on the side note I said you have gear management with both CVT with shift paddles and the manual. Just saying it isn't the same feeling as actually doing a shift with a clutch. So please read my post clearly sir.
No you really donít know what youíre saying. Read my first post where I talk about the cvt vs the manual sport. I specifically talk about it being noticeably slower. You then came in talking about how you only rev it to 3500rpmís, beat auto cars from red lights (but not race), and get 27 mpg. Wtf does that have to do with me saying the manual feels noticeably slower than the cvt? You are making zero sense. You ever think you just tree the hell out of non suspecting normal drivers? It also has nothing to do with the subject....
Supraru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:39 PM   #796
carcrazy85
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 465046
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Yonkers, NY
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
I drove manual sport Subies exclusively for almost 10 years.

1) I wanted the extra MPG the CVT provides.

2) I wanted the safest vehicle possible for my loved ones to feel safe in whenever I let them borrow the car, whether friends visiting or young ones borrowing the car. EyeSight is CVT only.

3) It's not a sports car, and I didn't want to tease myself into thinking it was despite knowing it isn't. I figured if Subaru gets their act together and offers an STI hatch again, then I'd jump on that at the mid-cycle refresh. Otherwise I know I have an Impreza and it doesn't really need to be a WRX Lite.

4) If it's not a 6-speed then I don't want it. STI and BRZ had fantastic, Aisin transmissions. FXT and WRX, horrible transmissions, with the WRX being way worse.
All good points for getting the CVT. How's your Impreza anyway?
carcrazy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:06 PM   #797
Supraru
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23313
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Collegeville,Pa
Vehicle:
99' 2.5Rs
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy85 View Post
All good points for getting the CVT. How's your Impreza anyway?
I assume you followed the progression of conversation and saw your comments were silly.
Supraru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:56 PM   #798
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Blackstone, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red - OLDKID

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy85 View Post
All good points for getting the CVT. How's your Impreza anyway?
Just got back from another cross-country road trip last night! My mom drove my Impreza from Alaska, through Canada, to Oklahoma for my nephew's graduation in Tulsa. I drove a friend's 2012 Impreza hatch 5MT through Canada to Seattle, dropped it off, then flew to OK. Then as a family we drove to Arkansas, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho, Oregon, Washington and Canada. Visited Vancouver (Butchart Gardens) and a few other places. It was my ninth time through Canada.

I'm driving to New York for a wedding in September, and will pass through Wisconsin, in which case I'll only need to visit Florida to have visited all of North America. I'll have gone through Canada eleven times by the end of the year.

There have been a slew of aftermarket parts released for the Impreza that I'm super excited about! I'll try to post them up later. I'm thinking I'll keep the car, make it look fast, and bask in the fact that it's not.

Car has over 24k miles on it now and still going strong. Finally figured out some more functions for the display unit up top (the favorites screen and setting the clock to adjust automatically ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraru View Post
I assume you followed the progression of conversation and saw your comments were silly.
What's your endgame here?
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:37 PM   #799
ObewanKenobi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 428583
Join Date: Aug 2015
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: All over
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Venetian Red Pearl

Default

The other night I took my 2017 Impreza Sport out and really flogged it for the first time. It was the first planned, late night high speed driving I have done with this car. Totally straight (no booze) out in country roads with miles of turns and fields. Never saw another car but had a close call with a deer.

This is my 6th Subie and this global platform is AMAZING, very well balanced at high speed turns, very solid and predictable. If Subaru uses the global platform for the WRX as they claim the new WRX is going to be a fantastic car.

No the new Impreza is not fast, far from it as a matter of fact but it handles very well on back roads that would unsettle many other cars.
ObewanKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:41 PM   #800
carcrazy85
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 465046
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Yonkers, NY
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraru View Post
I assume you followed the progression of conversation and saw your comments were silly.
No I stand by what I said cause it made sense. I just didn't want to bother with your nonsense. I know my Impreza Sport. I own it. It's mine so I know it's true potential.
carcrazy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.