Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 16, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-29-2018, 10:35 PM   #1
sipkode
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 492099
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Silver

OMGHi2U New Member (with blown engine)

Hi all,

I'm here to post in the Classified section, but looks like I need to post a few other things first, so I'll start with my story:

I've got a 2009 WRX, of which I am the only owner. It's fully stock, as I got it not for the modding aspect, but more as just a fun car to drive up to the mountains. It's also had all its scheduled maintenance, at the dealership up to when the warranty ran out, and then at a Subaru specialty place near me. Its got just under 90k miles on it.

So, a few weeks ago as I was driving from Seattle to Kelowna to visit my sister, it just suddenly lost power while I was on the highway. I got it towed to the Canadian Tire at the nearest town, where they took a look at it and told me that it was an internal engine issue, and that I'd need to put in a whole new engine. They came back a few days later and told me they were unable to source an engine from their suppliers, and that I'd have to get one there myself--hence why I'm in the market for an engine.

It's just a bummer that this just seemed to happen out of the blue--it had just been serviced a few weeks prior to the trip, and they didn't notice anything out of sorts. I've been reading that this problem seems fairly common in this model year...

Other than that, it's been a great car!
sipkode is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2018, 11:45 PM   #2
Florida_Man
*** Banned ***

Member#: 486948

Good luck!
Florida_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 01:25 AM   #3
sipkode
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 492099
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Silver

Thanks.
sipkode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:18 AM   #4
ProjectN64
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 454737
Vehicle:
2005 STI PSM
2013 BRZ SWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipkode View Post
Hi all,

I'm here to post in the Classified section, but looks like I need to post a few other things first, so I'll start with my story:

I've got a 2009 WRX, of which I am the only owner. It's fully stock, as I got it not for the modding aspect, but more as just a fun car to drive up to the mountains. It's also had all its scheduled maintenance, at the dealership up to when the warranty ran out, and then at a Subaru specialty place near me. Its got just under 90k miles on it.

So, a few weeks ago as I was driving from Seattle to Kelowna to visit my sister, it just suddenly lost power while I was on the highway. I got it towed to the Canadian Tire at the nearest town, where they took a look at it and told me that it was an internal engine issue, and that I'd need to put in a whole new engine. They came back a few days later and told me they were unable to source an engine from their suppliers, and that I'd have to get one there myself--hence why I'm in the market for an engine.

It's just a bummer that this just seemed to happen out of the blue--it had just been serviced a few weeks prior to the trip, and they didn't notice anything out of sorts. I've been reading that this problem seems fairly common in this model year...

i'd call SOA and tell them about it, mention how you maintained it and have always had it stock with no mods. you're the original owner as said in the OP? you have nothing to lose calling them, you have all service records?
ProjectN64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:24 AM   #5
stuartm
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 492113
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2006 OB XT 5MT

Good Luck, Im looking at a full rebuild as well.
stuartm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:21 PM   #6
Wappit
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 487203
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI
WR Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipkode View Post
Hi all,

Get it towed to a real mechanic, preferably one who knows these cars. Canadian Tire is not the place you want working on your vehicle.
Wappit is offline   Reply With Quote