Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Warranty Issues & SOA Problems

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-12-2020, 10:27 AM   #476
Opie
Floresbian

Member#: 470
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2020 Canyon Denali
'21 Forester & '13 BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSRA WRX View Post
I had a rod bearing failure at ~72k miles. I have all the documents from SOA about the class action lawsuit and the extended warranty for failures related to it. However, when I went to the dealership, they said they would not honor the warranty because the ECU had a tune on it. I tried to argue that the tune would not mechanical failure that has been known to plague this engine. They wouldn't budge. I called SOA, talked to them about it, they called the dealership, then they called me back and stood by the dealership saying that I would have to pay out of pocket.

Has anyone else gone through this before and still had the warranty honored?
Quote:
Originally Posted by skighler View Post
Personally, I was told that if I had an access port my engine replacement wouldn't have been covered under warranty
The problem with any tune is it is a violation of the Federal Emission Standards. The ECU/ECM and the installed factory tune are considered Emission Control Equipment and any alteration or removal of those is illegal by Federal law. Therefore the manufacturer is not obligated to pay for any warranty repairs for damages caused by purposeful alteration or removal of these devices.
Opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2020, 07:23 PM   #477
spokismb5s4
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 320708

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifearnoevo View Post
The dealers do not have any say in regards to major warranty repairs, SOA handles those. If you would like to keep your engine warranty then do not install an ap.
So years ago, i blew my **** up at vir during a track day. Was stage 2 at the time, so i took off all my mods except for my upgraded clutch and flywheel since that was a bunch of work to do on the floor. Then i had my mom bring it in and say it happened on the highway.

Now IDK it works for the 2015+ wrx, but 2014 and earlier you just uninstall the cobb, then you disconnect the battery to let the ecm completely clear out so they cant prove it was recently reflashed. They tried to deny the claim since i had an act stg 1 clutch and racing pads on the car (as if my pads and weak clutch caused bearing 3 to spin). They also tried the "Its been abused" line as part of their justification to deny the claim.

Now these ****s thought they were dealing with some old lady who didnt know anything, but being a tech at Audi for 4 years at the time i knew this was complete bull****. Ended up having to buy a new oem clutch since they refused to put my act back on, but they were forced to replace the engine under warranty. I knew it had nothing to do with my mods anyway and what do you know, a class action suit for the exact problem they tried to deny the claim for.

Just have to be smart about it, dont bring it in flashed like an idiot, and make it clear that you know how the warranty system works.
spokismb5s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:26 PM   #478
spokismb5s4
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 320708

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
Just buy an old turbo Subaru instead, and then you can complain about how Subarus are garbage to anyone who'll listen while still pouring money into it because you're a financial masochist, instead of worrying about warranties. And then you can start parting other garbage turbo Subarus to make your primary garbage turbo Subaru last longer so you can extend your misery as loooooong as possible.
This guy knows whats up lolol
spokismb5s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:31 PM   #479
Atulier
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 520370
Vehicle:
2022 Subaru BRZ
Crystal white

So there's been a lot of replies and its hard to find what im looking for. My question is (sorry if it was asked already) Will it be voided if i tune my subie? Ive had experiences with the dealer stating a tune can void my warranty. PLUS they've also judged me by having COBB stickers...yup
Atulier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:36 AM   #480
2018wrx_newbie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 477489
Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited
CWP

Technically, they cannot void your warranty. But they can deny a claim if there is a modification performed and it caused the failure, i.e. a tune. So if you tuned and then blew an engine, they can deny that claim. Some folks have had luck getting warrantied in such cases with minor mods, but I think it is increasingly hard these days with a lot of the younger owners modding and blowing things up and blaming Subaru.

Bottom line, if you are very concerned about warranty, don't tune it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atulier View Post
So there's been a lot of replies and its hard to find what im looking for. My question is (sorry if it was asked already) Will it be voided if i tune my subie? Ive had experiences with the dealer stating a tune can void my warranty. PLUS they've also judged me by having COBB stickers...yup
2018wrx_newbie is offline   Reply With Quote