Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-27-2012, 01:01 AM   #11
A.childress
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 324437
Vehicle:
2007 Impreza
Silver

I find this thread to be very interesting.
I learned in school studying different braking systems that the increased surface area of larger brakes did in fact change the speed in which the rotors hit zero. Which should logically reduce stopping distances. But if what the op suggests is true then I appear to be very mistaken. I suppose it makes sense as you can lock up any wheel with any brake system with a simple press of the pedal. However, I cant help but wonder if there is some high end speed (say like 200mph) where the single pot caliper would fall off and not stop the disk. All logic would say that at some speed the friction of the brake pads will not stop the rotors.

I will say that for daily driving I would agree the size makes no difference.

And I looked up some statistics for stopping distances. and as the op said I found the sti did have slightly shorter stopping distances. And if the op is correct it is due to the tires. So if anything, a 2.5i with the sti tires will stop the same. I'd really like to see that tested.

Last edited by A.childress; 06-27-2012 at 01:09 AM.
A.childress is offline   Reply With Quote