Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday November 21, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-21-2019, 09:14 PM   #1
KalamazooSaabaru
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 462388
Default 2017 WRX Base w/ coils to 2018 STI OEM struts/springs

Thanks for stopping in.

My name's Abe, I drive a 2017 WRX Base, had it since June. Previous car was a 2005 Saabaru(still miss u bb).

Anyway. This WRX came with BC BR coilovers that are about 1/4 of an inch from their lowest possible setting, and I'd like to install the suspension I purchased that came off of a 2018 STi so that I stop scraping all the damn time. I took one of the coilovers off today, and to my surprise, the STi suspension seemed to be too long to install properly. Not to my surprise, the BC's were so thrashed that adjusting the height was impossible, so that took the alternative I had off the table.

I assume I need to make some adjustments to compensate for what'll be nearly 2" of lift from the coils back to stockish height. I have no idea what to adjust; I know I'll need to get it professionally aligned afterwards, however, I'd like to install the suspension to save some money.

So is this going to put me in over my head? Am I wrong about the compatibility between the 2017 base WRX and 2018 STi suspension?

What's the best oil for my car?
How do I get 400whp cheap?
Do I really need a tune with just an exhaust, intake, front mount and bigger turbo?

Thanks Nabisco
KalamazooSaabaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2019, 06:40 PM   #2
gtsilver944
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 443043

Disconnect the sway bar end link. It'll allow your suspension to drop down to a more normal height. Install the struts. Adjust camber (a "clineometer" app on your phone will get you close enough if you're getting it aligned afterward). Lower with the wheels back on the car to check toe (it's going to be way, way off). Adjust toe to be reasonably close. Reattach sway bar end links. Then drive right to an alignment shop.

Penetrating oil (not WD40) and heat if you want to attempt adjusting the coilovers.
gtsilver944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:23 PM   #3
KalamazooSaabaru
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 462388
Default Thanks

I appreciate the help.

I was able to get the suspension installed on the front of the car today, although I had to sacrifice an end link to do it. The internal hex head was a 6mm round hole so I had to chop it. I'll be picking up a replacement tomorrow to finish up the front and then taking a crack at the rear.

I used a digital inclinometer when I set the camber with the camber bolt, I'll do some looking on how to adjust toe, I assume the tie rod end? Luckily the alignment shop is less than 2 miles from my house so I'll be able to baby it in there tomorrow.

I don't think the coils are worth my time to try to salvage. There a bunch of chewed up threads on the body, so I think I'll just save it for a swap meet or post them on here for someone looking to live the low life for cheap.
KalamazooSaabaru is offline   Reply With Quote