Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday November 13, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-21-2018, 11:02 PM   #1
Whiteb0y
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 480069
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Limited Wag
White

Default Question regarding EJ vs DiT DAM changes

There's been a lot of great posts scratching the surface of how Subaru updated their knock correction system. BrenTuning had a good right up.

https://brentuning.com/?news=subaru-...u-need-to-know

From what I gather drop in DAM during low load/RPM conditions on the DiT platforms should be precieved differently than on an EJ. That DAM is in a way more like FLKC.

If this is the case, what are acceptable DAM/FBKC values during low load/rpm conditions?
Whiteb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2018, 11:20 AM   #2
X49
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 386600
Vehicle:
2015 WRX

In my opinion, a good tune should always result in a DAM of 1 in normal driving conditions. DAM reduction should only really happen if you get a bad tank of fuel. FBK of -1.41 should only be happening occasionally under conditions like high intercooler heat soak that can't easily be tuned out (or from false a/c compressor knock). Even if low load knock events are not very damaging, it's best to avoid them.

A problem with DAM reduction is that the dynamic advance tables aren't well tuned, and a lot more timing is pulled at high load than at low load, even if all your knock is happening at a certain problem area at low or moderate loads. This results in a significant loss in power and worse efficiency. DAM reduction is tuned to be very safe, however, due to all the timing pulled at high load, where knock can do a lot of damage.

Professional tuners will always tell you not to worry about a bit of knock, because tuning most of it out at low/moderate loads is very timing consuming compared to just tuning WOT. If you're tuning your own engine, there's no reason not to tune for a DAM of 1, very occasional FBK/FKL of -1.41 to -2.81 at low/moderate loads, and virtually never any high load knock.
X49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:55 AM   #3
Whiteb0y
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 480069
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Limited Wag
White

So in essence nothing "really" has changed.

We just purchased our first DiT vehicle (wife's '17 FXT) & I wanted to get a full grasp on any differences before I started dialing everything in. On an EJ I get diagnosing real v phantom knock. I didn't want to treat this new platform in the same manor if it shouldn't be and the above article and COBB's write up had me scratching my head.

I appreciate the input.
Whiteb0y is offline   Reply With Quote