Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 26, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2017, 04:17 PM   #4051
cubansubby
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 466740
Join Date: Apr 2017
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: MKE
Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI
White

Default

Everything JDM is always better
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
cubansubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:25 PM   #4052
hklatte
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 131234
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Mesa, AZ
Vehicle:
2018 STI Limited
CBS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_7 View Post
Why does it seem that the JDM STi's have bigger infotainment screens than us? Are their head units better?
Well first of all, there are so many choices for the JDM Subarus...
https://www.subaru.jp/accessory/navi_audio/#p_audioname

This particular one seems to be the Panasonic unit. It has Apple Carplay and it displays the directions and the speed limit on the multi function display. It's only 238,000 yen, but I don't expect the GPS function works in North America.
https://www.subaru.jp/accessory/navi...vi_wrxsti.html
hklatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:05 AM   #4053
AVANTI R5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 73805
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NEPA
Vehicle:
2017 911 Turbo
Miami Blue

Default A Subaru Crosstrek WRX Would Make A Ton Of Sense And Probably Print Money

I know I’m getting older because the 2018 Subaru Crosstrek is finally starting to make sense to me. Listen, if you need a small, pragmatic, cheap car with all-weather capability, and don’t require WRX or WRX STI speed, it’s probably a great buy. But for those of us who like the idea of the Crosstrek and would miss all that turbo power, I ask: why can’t we get both?

Clearly Subaru is onto something here with the Crosstrek. They sell something like 8,000 of them a month in the U.S., and even though it’s basically a lifted Impreza, it’s just SUV-ish enough to ride that wave that’s killing small cars and sedans.

Then you have the WRX and STI, which are iconic at this point, and doing well enough that they too seem to be weathering the sedanocalypse fine enough. After all, the performance variants of small cars—think the Ford Fiesta ST, Volkswagen GTI and others—are all selling quite well, and in some cases actually dominate sales over their “regular” versions. Lately, when people can be bothered to buy small, they buy fast.

Yet Subaru left us high and dry with a WRX or STI that goes all-in on practicality. We haven’t had a hatchback and/or wagon variant of that car in years. If you want it you’re stuck with the sedan version, which is inherently less practical than it could be.

So here’s what I’m thinking: Subaru should pony up and give us a fast version of the Crosstrek. Stiffen up the suspension a bit, give it the 268 horsepower engine out of the WRX (or, hell, the 305 HP motor from the WRX STI, why not) add some better brakes and performance bits, leave the jacked up ride-height.


Why the hell not? It’s not like we’re ever going to get the Subaru Levorg wagon in this country. This could be the compromise we’re all after. A lifted WRX or WRX STI wagon/hatch with a manual would basically check all the boxes. Plus, that extra ride height might actually prove an advantage in rallying. As the small car segment is ceded to small crossovers, part of me wonders why so many off-road racing cars remain hatchbacks or sedans.

Let me be clear I’m not advocating this car replace the WRX and WRX STI sedan. I’d hate to live in a world where that’s no longer an option for enthusiasts. No, I think this Crosstrek WRX would make a great addition to the Subaru lineup, existing as its own beast and offering a family adventure car for people whose idea of adventure also involves flouting speed laws. Given the proliferation of both small crossovers and small performance cars at the moment, it seems poised to do well, and finally fill the void left behind by the death of the WRX hatchback.

What am I missing here? Make it happen, Subaru. You’re welcome for the great idea. Please give me ten million dollars.

http://jalopnik.com/a-subaru-crosstr...-pr-1796995047
AVANTI R5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:55 AM   #4054
Snow Drift
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 75071
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island
Vehicle:
PR18 STI,PG15 XV Hyb
Past: 05, 08, 11 Red WRXs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVANTI R5 View Post
So here’s what I’m thinking: Subaru should pony up and give us a fast version of the Crosstrek. Stiffen up the suspension a bit, give it the 268 horsepower engine out of the WRX (or, hell, the 305 HP motor from the WRX STI, why not) add some better brakes and performance bits, leave the jacked up ride-height.
They already offer a 268hp WRX engine with 8.7" of ground clearance based on the Impreza chassis...the Forester XT.

So I don't see the point of a Crosstrek XT, it's basically the same size, just less utility. (PS, I have a 2015 XV)

The 1.6T makes more sense since the 2.0 NA-DI is rather slow.
Snow Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:12 AM   #4055
mnrex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 465623
Join Date: Apr 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Drift View Post
They already offer a 268hp WRX engine with 8.7" of ground clearance based on the Impreza chassis...the Forester XT.

So I don't see the point of a Crosstrek XT, it's basically the same size, just less utility. (PS, I have a 2015 XV)

The 1.6T makes more sense since the 2.0 NA-DI is rather slow.
I think that same argument could have been made for the non-XT Forester vs. Crosstrek - there's already a Subaru crossover/SUV with greater ground clearance, why do we need a second one? And yet the Crosstrek sells like hotcakes! I remember when the Crosstrek was first announced I thought "An Impreza with a lift kit? That's never going to sell." Boy was I wrong...

That being said, I don't think Subaru would allocate the resources to manufacture a Crosstrek XT at this point, especially considering they're probably full steam ahead on development of the next-gen WRX/STI.
mnrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:58 AM   #4056
IndecisiveS12
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 463349
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Canada
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Sport
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnrex View Post
I think that same argument could have been made for the non-XT Forester vs. Crosstrek - there's already a Subaru crossover/SUV with greater ground clearance, why do we need a second one? And yet the Crosstrek sells like hotcakes! I remember when the Crosstrek was first announced I thought "An Impreza with a lift kit? That's never going to sell." Boy was I wrong...

That being said, I don't think Subaru would allocate the resources to manufacture a Crosstrek XT at this point, especially considering they're probably full steam ahead on development of the next-gen WRX/STI.
they saw the subcompact crossover market booming. Nissan Qashqai, Infiniti QX30, Honda HRV, Toyota CHR, Maxda cx3. Subaru had to jump in too to keep sales.
IndecisiveS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:35 PM   #4057
SoDealer
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67960
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndecisiveS12 View Post
they saw the subcompact crossover market booming. Nissan Qashqai, Infiniti QX30, Honda HRV, Toyota CHR, Maxda cx3. Subaru had to jump in too to keep sales.
I'm not following you. This is the 3rd generation of Crosstrek (XV). It came before all of them except the qashqai (Forester sized competitor) and the Infiniti Ex (QX). And Subaru came upon that path by its own accord after going down the Outback Sport route for over a decade prior.

Last edited by SoDealer; 07-19-2017 at 07:11 PM.
SoDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:20 PM   #4058
Pre
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 139693
Join Date: Feb 2007
Vehicle:
5 do - all the time

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVANTI R5 View Post
I know I’m getting older because the 2018 Subaru Crosstrek is finally starting to make sense to me. Listen, if you need a small, pragmatic, cheap car with all-weather capability, and don’t require WRX or WRX STI speed, it’s probably a great buy. But for those of us who like the idea of the Crosstrek and would miss all that turbo power, I ask: why can’t we get both?

Clearly Subaru is onto something here with the Crosstrek. They sell something like 8,000 of them a month in the U.S., and even though it’s basically a lifted Impreza, it’s just SUV-ish enough to ride that wave that’s killing small cars and sedans.

Then you have the WRX and STI, which are iconic at this point, and doing well enough that they too seem to be weathering the sedanocalypse fine enough. After all, the performance variants of small cars—think the Ford Fiesta ST, Volkswagen GTI and others—are all selling quite well, and in some cases actually dominate sales over their “regular” versions. Lately, when people can be bothered to buy small, they buy fast.

Yet Subaru left us high and dry with a WRX or STI that goes all-in on practicality. We haven’t had a hatchback and/or wagon variant of that car in years. If you want it you’re stuck with the sedan version, which is inherently less practical than it could be.

So here’s what I’m thinking: Subaru should pony up and give us a fast version of the Crosstrek. Stiffen up the suspension a bit, give it the 268 horsepower engine out of the WRX (or, hell, the 305 HP motor from the WRX STI, why not) add some better brakes and performance bits, leave the jacked up ride-height.


Why the hell not? It’s not like we’re ever going to get the Subaru Levorg wagon in this country. This could be the compromise we’re all after. A lifted WRX or WRX STI wagon/hatch with a manual would basically check all the boxes. Plus, that extra ride height might actually prove an advantage in rallying. As the small car segment is ceded to small crossovers, part of me wonders why so many off-road racing cars remain hatchbacks or sedans.

Let me be clear I’m not advocating this car replace the WRX and WRX STI sedan. I’d hate to live in a world where that’s no longer an option for enthusiasts. No, I think this Crosstrek WRX would make a great addition to the Subaru lineup, existing as its own beast and offering a family adventure car for people whose idea of adventure also involves flouting speed laws. Given the proliferation of both small crossovers and small performance cars at the moment, it seems poised to do well, and finally fill the void left behind by the death of the WRX hatchback.

What am I missing here? Make it happen, Subaru. You’re welcome for the great idea. Please give me ten million dollars.

http://jalopnik.com/a-subaru-crosstr...-pr-1796995047
Reasoning with them, with level headed sheot will just frustrate you more. They are gonna do what they are gonna do.
Pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:36 PM   #4059
laufu
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 29826
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
13 Legacy 3.6R
Deep Indigo Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Drift View Post
They already offer a 268hp WRX engine with 8.7" of ground clearance based on the Impreza chassis...the Forester XT.

So I don't see the point of a Crosstrek XT, it's basically the same size, just less utility. (PS, I have a 2015 XV)

The 1.6T makes more sense since the 2.0 NA-DI is rather slow.
Sadly the 1.6DIT from the Levorg is not an option for the SGP Crosstrek, since it does not fit in the Impreza. Maybe the FB25 or a 2.4 NA with direct injection minus the turbo from the Ascent could fit.
laufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:08 AM   #4060
Wrxkris1k
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 468336
Join Date: May 2017
Default I had to post this pic of my STi

Wrxkris1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:04 AM   #4061
hackney1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 391014
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Oregon
Vehicle:
'16 WRX Premium CVT
18 WRX Perf. Pkg. - Soon!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Drift View Post
They already offer a 268hp WRX engine with 8.7" of ground clearance based on the Impreza chassis...the Forester XT.

So I don't see the point of a Crosstrek XT, it's basically the same size, just less utility. (PS, I have a 2015 XV)

The 1.6T makes more sense since the 2.0 NA-DI is rather slow.
250 hp
hackney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:30 PM   #4062
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Mahwah, New Jersey
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Default

Yeah I don't get why the FXT is still less HP. It's bigger. Need moar powah.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:59 PM   #4063
xDRAN0x
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 163085
Join Date: Oct 2007
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Montreal, QC
Vehicle:
2009 3.0R Legacy
'13 X3 35i

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
Yeah I don't get why the FXT is still less HP. It's bigger. Need moar powah.
Have you driven the FXT with the 2.0DIT ? Its hella fast, doesn't need more HP when most customers are families and women main driver
xDRAN0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:13 PM   #4064
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Mahwah, New Jersey
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDRAN0x View Post
Have you driven the FXT with the 2.0DIT ? Its hella fast, doesn't need more HP when most customers are families and women main driver
I see the same thing said about the BRZ and STI. "Needs more power." I was just taking a jab at SeeeeeYa in case he perused this thread again soon. I'm always giving him crap for his FXT, which I think is a fine car. I did a photoshoot of my buddy's 14 FXT once and that thing was quick to catch up with me on the twisty highway. Much respect.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:01 PM   #4065
IndecisiveS12
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 463349
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Canada
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Sport
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDealer View Post
I'm not following you. This is the 3rd generation of Crosstrek (XV). It came before all of them except the qashqai (Forester sized competitor) and the Infiniti Ex (QX). And Subaru came upon that path by its own accord after going down the Outback Sport route for over a decade prior.
Thanks for the correction. I didn't realize the crosstrek/xv has been around since 2011.

although according to wikipedia I was right about the HRV being out before...sorta lol

first gen HRV 1998-2006
IndecisiveS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:11 AM   #4066
SoDealer
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67960
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default

Outback Sport was 1994
SoDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:39 PM   #4067
Ljspeed
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 467853
Join Date: May 2017
Location: San Antonio, TX
Vehicle:
2018 STI
ISM

Default

So tomorrow will be two weeks with my STI. It has been great and I actually took my car off the truck with single digit miles. I noticed when I left the dealer that the steering wheel was offset to the left. I went home and checked psi's when the car cooled down that night. Nope, all were at the right psi so I finally took it in yesterday. Toe was severely off as I suspected. Maybe mine was a one off but just curious if anyone has had this issue on their '18. I know things could of gotten out of whack on the ship/port, etc.

Weird to get an alignment with less than 300miles but I am glad I had them check. Also, they used 2017 STI specs and I hope it is the same or in the ballpark for '18s.
Ljspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:31 PM   #4068
atom_b
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 463970
Join Date: Mar 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljspeed View Post
So tomorrow will be two weeks with my STI. It has been great and I actually took my car off the truck with single digit miles. I noticed when I left the dealer that the steering wheel was offset to the left. I went home and checked psi's when the car cooled down that night. Nope, all were at the right psi so I finally took it in yesterday. Toe was severely off as I suspected. Maybe mine was a one off but just curious if anyone has had this issue on their '18. I know things could of gotten out of whack on the ship/port, etc.



Weird to get an alignment with less than 300miles but I am glad I had them check. Also, they used 2017 STI specs and I hope it is the same or in the ballpark for '18s.


I asked them to align mine when I bought it, they told me they did a quickie when it came off the truck. Mine seems fine for now.
atom_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:26 AM   #4069
austinp02
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 149247
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Northern Michigan
Vehicle:
2018 STI
WRB

Default

Anyone interested in a STi brand aluminum shift knob (the accessory one, not the red stock knob) at a discount? I believe the part number is C1010FG100

After the dealer mishap on my ordered car, the alternative was a dealer transfer with an unreserved STI in the spec I wanted, plus a couple accessories I didn't. I actually wanted the stock red shift knob and so ordered it while waiting for the car. Swapped it out in the dealer parking lot before driving home, so I have the aluminum one sitting around brand new, literally never used it.

I'd be willing to let it go for $100 shipped, just shoot me a PM. I realize this isn't the for sale threads, but since peeps reading this are ordering cars and might be thinking about spending more to get it from the dealer I thought it might save you some dough.
austinp02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:41 AM   #4070
AVANTI R5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 73805
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NEPA
Vehicle:
2017 911 Turbo
Miami Blue

Default Subaru updates WRX and STI for 2018

Saw this on Motoring

Subaru’s WRX and WRX STI models have been upgraded for the new model year, offering enhanced equipment, revised underpinnings and ‘more aggressive’ styling.

And the range still kicks off at $39,240 for the entry-level WRX with manual transmission.

The updated model continues to be based on the previous platform, rather than the current Impreza’s modular platform. Subaru has no plans for an all-new WRX/STI model for at least two years.

In the meantime, the WRX and STI will soldier on in the current form, supported by occasional running changes.

For the ‘2018’ model WRX Subaru has specified fade-resistant Jurid high-performance brake pads, red-painted brake calipers (front only for auto models), redesigned 18-inch alloy wheels, heated door mirrors, LED for front fog lights and retuned suspension. The entry-level WRX now adopts the dusk-sensing headlights and rain-sensing wipers previously available in the WRX Premium only.

In addition, WRX Premium and WRX STI Premium variants also gain electric lumbar adjustment as part of the upgrade package to eight-way adjustment for the driver’s seat, with two-position memory.

Across the entire range – including WRX STI – all cars now feature roof-carrier brackets, adaptive LED headlights/LED daytime running lights and a 5.9-inch multi-function display (previously 4.3-inch). Automatic variants now feature EyeSight Assist Monitor – a head-up display-based system specifically for the WRX Premium – and an electronic parking brake with Automatic Vehicle Hold.

STI models now come equipped as standard with yellow Brembo brake calipers (six-piston front, twin-piston rear), cross-drilled rotors, larger (19-inch) alloy wheels, red seatbelts and retuned suspension – for reduced body roll. The basic STI adds heated mirrors and the STI Premium is now specified with a standard front camera to aid parking. An eight-way power-adjustable driver’s seat, with lumbar adjustment and dual-position memory offered in the WRX Premium is also added to the standard kit for the STI Premium.

Subaru has filled out the range with a new flagship, the WRX STI spec.R, which is trimmed as for the WRX STI Premium, including the new front camera, but with the addition of Recaro bucket seats in front.

Cosmetic changes extend to new bumpers and grille, headlight clusters now incorporating the indicators, different fog light bezels and a larger blacked-out section of the lower air intake. The wheels are new for all models, and are finished in a dark gunmetal colour.

Subaru designers have opted for a finish (like piano-gloss black lacquer) throughout the interior of the WRX STI. This is applied to door switch panel, centre fascia, gear shift plinth and steering wheel hub.

“Current generation WRX and WRX STI have truly taken on a life of their own in sales terms, harking back to the success they achieved in first generation back in the late 1990s,” says Subaru Australia Managing Director, Colin Christie.

“WRX fans recognise the amazing value these cars represent – and also engineering integrity – which sees these fantastic fun cars growing their audience more than 23 years after they launched in Australia, to create a cult following that is now well and truly mainstream.

“These comprehensive changes right across the range underline that fun, value, performance and safety can go hand-in-hand.”

Prices are as follows:
WRX manual – $39,240
WRX Lineartronic CVT – $42,240
WRX Premium manual – $45,640
WRX Premium Lineartronic CVT – $48,840
WRX STI – $50,890
WRX STI with rear spoiler – $51,190
WRX STI Premium – $55,640
WRX STI Premium with rear spoiler – $55,940
WRX STI spec.R – $57,690

http://www.motoring.com.au/subaru-up...r-2018-108114/
AVANTI R5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:45 PM   #4071
transmutation
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 467769
Join Date: May 2017
Default

Just ordered a 2018 STI Limited in WRB. Really excited to finally be getting one of these cars! I'm coming from a 2011 Mazdaspeed 3 and have been debating on an AWD car for a while.

After driving both the STI and the RS i liked the STI more and was able to get a much better deal on the STI then the RS. I've had the Speed for a while so i've come to like the "raw" driving feel which the STI has (to me anyway) as well as more character.
transmutation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:45 AM   #4072
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
06 Forester 04 Forester

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmutation View Post
Just ordered a 2018 STI Limited in WRB. Really excited to finally be getting one of these cars! I'm coming from a 2011 Mazdaspeed 3 and have been debating on an AWD car for a while.

After driving both the STI and the RS i liked the STI more and was able to get a much better deal on the STI then the RS. I've had the Speed for a while so i've come to like the "raw" driving feel which the STI has (to me anyway) as well as more character.

NO! You are wrong! STI is old and busted! RS is the new highness! You must've missed that memo!!



JustyWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:23 AM   #4073
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Mahwah, New Jersey
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Default

Psh. Filthy casual.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.