Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday August 19, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-05-2019, 01:25 AM   #1
Pelco
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 435599
Vehicle:
2016 Impreza Sport
White

Default Convince me to (or not to) get coilovers for my 2016 CVT 2.0i Impreza

Hi everyone,

TLDR; I have a 148hp Impreza that I daily drive, I don't want to sacrifice utility, but would love to be able to get more handling performance out of my car. Are coilovers overkill?

I have a 2016 Impreza Sport hatchback with a Naturally Aspirated 2.0 engine (148hp) which I very much enjoy as my Daily Driver.

I've upgraded to sticky summer tires, ECU tune, steering lockdown, pitch stop, and heavier sway bars (Front 24mm Crosstrek, and 22mm adj. rear). It drives pretty well, though I feel like a set of firmer spring and lowering by up to 20mm would do wonders for the car. I like to go fast around corners. Engine upgrades are not an option.

I love to tinker and mod things, (outside of cars) and have done my own work with the upgrades noted above. I have thought about it for a couple months, how a set of coilovers would make this platform even better. But the idea of spending ($1500 +/-250) on coilovers has me conflicted.

Is this platform worth the money and trouble of putting on a decent set of coilovers? I am thinking about Fortune Auto 500, Tein flex Z, or something upper-entry level. From my reading, any aftermarket 2008 WRX suspension is a direct fit, so there are many options.

I daily drive this car to work, but I also would like to keep it readily available to haul stuff like people (coworkers, grandparents and children), groceries, Ikea furniture, or the random large garage sale item. The car has a utility function to it.

The car has a CVT which I thrash regularly with paddles every chance I get. I run my car pretty hard when I am not hauling the things listed above. I use this car as transportation, but in a fun way hooning, as it were, if you can call it that.

So will a set of coilovers ruin the utility? Will a set of coilovers be too harsh for passengers? Is a set of coilovers overkill for an economy car? I have thought about eventually autoXing it, but coilovers would automatically bump me into a more advanced category. I digress.

The idea of lowing springs came into the conversation, but I feel that if I am going to go in the suspension realm, I may as well get the adjustability too ( I like to tinker). Corner balancing, preloads and dampening rates really do interest me. I'd like to learn more and tune the drivability of this car.

So please, if you have any opinions on the subject, flame away
Pelco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2019, 09:35 AM   #2
bungarra
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 441457
Vehicle:
2016 WRX PRemium
White

Springs if the shocks are firm enough, shocks snd springs if not. Cheap coilovers suck and IMO it would be overkill - and not the best way forward for a DD.
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:29 PM   #3
joek92
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 353938
Vehicle:
2007 STI WRB
18x8.75 +35 225/40

I'm considering them too because my 07 STI is bouncy and rolly but the maintenance is a kicker. Massive potholes can break them. They will need to be rebuilt in about 5 years or less (min $400). Have to lube thrust bearing each winter & apply corrosion protection and covers for the threads on the body.
Apparently Swift springs are more comfortable.

I want a ride like the adjustable struts on my miata. Turn to 0 and it's comfy and floaty for commutes. Turn up to 8 and it's rigid. Should I just get adjustable struts for the sti? No height adjust needed here.
joek92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:19 PM   #4
Cheap Seafood
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 498747
Vehicle:
2019 STI
WRB

I've put coilovers on many cars in my life and every time I wish I didn't. It's as if I forget every prior experience. On one particular track car of mine they were great, at the track. On the street they were miserable. As some have said, go with springs and upgraded shocks if necessary. While not as pretty and trick, for a street car it will be much, much nicer. If you want a shock on the sporty side, take a look at Koni Yellows. They're really good.
Cheap Seafood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:15 AM   #5
Pelco
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 435599
Vehicle:
2016 Impreza Sport
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Seafood View Post
I've put coilovers on many cars in my life and every time I wish I didn't. It's as if I forget every prior experience. On one particular track car of mine they were great, at the track. On the street they were miserable. As some have said, go with springs and upgraded shocks if necessary. While not as pretty and trick, for a street car it will be much, much nicer. If you want a shock on the sporty side, take a look at Koni Yellows. They're really good.
Thanks!
Pelco is offline   Reply With Quote