Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday August 24, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old Yesterday, 04:43 AM   #1
KKsan
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 459029
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Limited CVT
Dark grey

Default Is alignment work covered by factory warranty? And other questions

Hey fellows, about a year ago, my WRX was rear ended and had frame damage. The body shop repaired my car and I have been daily it.

About one month ago, I start to notice that the steering is canted to the right when driving straight. I then visited the Maita Subaru in Sacramento. They adjusted my alignment for free and told me that my car's toe angle was off.

Not long after that initial fix, the car started to behave canted steering again. I then went back to Maita Subaru and they did the work again, also for free. Last week, I moved down to LA, and during the interstate driving, I noticed that the problem started to show again.

So I went to sierra subaru of Monrovia to have it adjusted. The staff there first asked me with a very suspicious tone why my car would behave unaligned all of a sudden and said they need to investigate it. Then they say that since my car has an accident record with frame damage, they wouldn't cover the alignment for free and needed to charge me $145, so I left.

Now my questions are:
  1. Why did Maita subaru never asked me nor investigated about the accident record? Based on my experience in Sierra Subaru, that would be so easy for a dealership to find out.
  2. Based on #1, why would Maita Subaru honor the alignment for free while Sierra wants to charge?
  3. I know that the dealership normally needs to prove that an incident is the cause of a particular problem before they deem me voided the warranty. Sierra Subaru never gave me direct proof. Are they trying to rip me off?
  4. How does rear end accident affect front steering? (seriously I want to know, someone please lecture me on this)

Any input helps.

Thanks!
KKsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM   #2
MountainMan10
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 501522
Vehicle:
2019 WRX STI
Pearl White

By steering canted to the right I assume you mean the steering wheel is not level?

Did they do a 4 wheel alignment or just front end?

Your problem is most likely the thrust angle. The thrust angle is the difference between left and right rear toe. This causes the car to dog track, to drive down the road at an angle. Adjusting front toe might fix the steering wheel but the car will still drive crooked.

If you have frame damage no alignment is going to fix it. The car will continue to dog track even if the thrust angle is corrected. The fix is to trade it and make it someone else's problem.

MountainMan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM   #3
KKsan
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 459029
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Limited CVT
Dark grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan10 View Post
By steering canted to the right I assume you mean the steering wheel is not level?

Did they do a 4 wheel alignment or just front end?

Your problem is most likely the thrust angle. The thrust angle is the difference between left and right rear toe. This causes the car to dog track, to drive down the road at an angle. Adjusting front toe might fix the steering wheel but the car will still drive crooked.

If you have frame damage no alignment is going to fix it. The car will continue to dog track even if the thrust angle is corrected. The fix is to trade it and make it someone else's problem.

Thank you. The canted steering wheel doesn't stay level or reset to level. It's not too bad, but obvious enough to drive me crazy. I do plan to sell it after one more year of driving, guess before that I'll just have to deal with it...
KKsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM   #4
Jack
Add Lightness

Member#: 13699
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
not my president
(From General)

A frame shop would be able to check the chassis to factory specs and likely would be able to repair the car. Your story sounds like your repair did not properly do this.

The first dealer was giving you exceptional service and eating their cost of doing alignments. The second dealer perhaps didn't have as much emphasis on this where nobody was paying for it. Dealers do need to get paid for stuff they do.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote