Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday August 18, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-24-2019, 07:39 AM   #26
ahmedhamdy
*** Banned ***

Member#: 501961
Default thanxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

thanxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ahmedhamdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2019, 08:47 AM   #27
GravyRobber
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 205568
Vehicle:
2017 WRX STi
WRB

Made some good progress this weekend. Still waiting for the new oil cooler (pretty unhappy about that ) but everything else is here and ready to install. I decided to go ahead and drop the engine in and install the oil cooler when it finally arrives. I had originally intended on re-using the original, but figured it was cheap insurance against contamination to just buy a new one. Though if it doesn't arrive soon, I'll likely flush out the old one as best I can and re-use it. The oil in the old oil pan doesn't appear to have any metal in it, so I'm probably being overly cautious about contamination.

Engine install went surprisingly smoothly considering: 1.) I did it solo, and 2.) This is my first engine ever to remove or install (I'm usually the guy standing around drinking beer while offering jokes and moral support). A few pics below:

Left on the list is to install the EWG, downpipe, intercooler, intake, TMIC, and battery.
GravyRobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:34 PM   #28
GravyRobber
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX STi
WRB

I did the first start and ran the engine for a bit today, even drove around the block. Engine started right up with ease but had a pretty significant oil leak at the turbo feed line. Found the hose itself was actually damaged and was leaking, so I picked up another at a local shop. Leak is fixed and the car seems to run ok.

Currently, it is running extremely lean with AFR's very erratic. I believe it to be a vacuum leak somewhere, so I need to find that and address it.

While driving around the block, I got a CEL for multiple/random misfires, and one for RH exhaust cam slow to respond. I've done a little bit of research but am taking a break from it for now. I might try to track down the vacuum leak and address the lean condition tomorrow, but in the mean time I will reset the ECU and see if that cam CEL comes back after flushing and filling with new oil.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:27 PM   #29
GravyRobber
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX STi
WRB

A bit of an update:

I was doing some trouble shooting and found my wideband to be the culprit of the erratic AFR's. I have attempted to re-ground it elsewhere but I still get random erratic readings. At other times, it seems to read very accurately. Will continue to work on that as I have time.

As for the other issues, I have been able to sort those out. I found the RH exhaust OCV leaking oil and I realized that I never properly re-torqued it after I removed it for cleaning when the engine was apart. So I pulled it out, cleaned it again, and re-installed. That seems to have cured all the misfire issues and AVCS issues. Datalogs look really good and seem to indicate everything operating normally.

Currently sitting at about 160 miles and the car seems to drive very reliably. I've tried to get some videos up of the first start and some idling, but my iPhone doesn't have the option to upload to YouTube anymore for some reason. No clue why.

Will continue to update this thread as I get it broken in and get some tuning done.

All cleaned up
Old 06-08-2019, 02:00 PM   #30
gfxguy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 316583
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2014 STI Hatch
ISM

Nice work! Donít think Iíd have the guts to do all that myself.
gfxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:15 PM   #31
GravyRobber
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX STi
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfxguy View Post
Nice work! Donít think Iíd have the guts to do all that myself.
Thanks! I didn't think I did, either. But I didn't have much of a choice since there aren't any shops around here that I trust. With a little help from a local road tuner/engine guy I was pleasantly surprised at the whole process. I've never pulled an engine myself, so it was a major first for me and a huge learning experience. I just followed the FSM as much as possible and it went pretty smoothly.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:43 AM   #32
GravyRobber
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX STi
WRB

Up to about 320 miles on the new setup and still no hiccups. I definitely have the "'08+ Stumble" even with the stumble fix kit. I attribute that to larger FP and injectors. My tuner is hesitant to tune it until we rule out anything mechanical causing it. I've scheduled an appointment at a local shop tomorrow to smoke my intake and just verify that its not being caused by a vacuum or boost leak somewhere. Nothing else seems to indicate that, but its worth checking. In the meantime, I'll be doing plenty of stop and go driving as I continue the break in process.

One thing that is noticeable, but not surprising is the increased noise from the engine. I understand piston slap, but even warm, its louder. I think its the increased valve clearance (OEM was way too tight) combined with maybe some header noise from my Grimmspeed crosspipe and up-pipe. Not necessarily concerned about it, but just something I noticed. This is my first ever built engine so I'm probably overly cautious.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:08 PM   #33
GravyRobber
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX STi
WRB

Up to just over 600 miles now and the break in process is going very well. My base/break-in map has been tweaked a couple times and is running really well. The temptation to stomp on it an hear the wastegate open is very real. I've scheduled a dyno for the second week of July, I can't wait for that. I'm excited to see what kind of numbers this setup will put down, but moreso, I'm looking forward to how it will feel in real world conditions, and if it will match my "OEM+" goals I've been shooting for.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:22 PM   #34
MCalvert
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 503255
Vehicle:
2009 WRX STI
Rally Blye

Super sleek!!!
MCalvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:19 PM   #35
GravyRobber
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX STi
WRB

800 miles and counting, still going well.

Started doing some basic road tuning with a local tuner here in town. Will get a full dyno tune next month but this is a good start. Tuning was going pretty well until we started adding some more boost, got a few kinda strange AFR/timing issues which the tuner thinks might be related to a minor boost leak somewhere. Also it isn't hitting target boost which might also be attributed to the fact that I am running a stock mid pipe. He thinks that 3" to 2.5" bottleneck is causing a little bit of an issue. To troubleshoot/eliminate some variables, I am purchasing a catback, most likely an N1 because its cheap, light, and sounds good. I've also ordered new Grimmspeed TMIC couplers, as my stock turbo-to-TMIC coupler is getting chewed up a bit from all the failed attempts it takes to get the intercooler to finally seat, which would potentially explain a boost leak.

Overall, the car is running great. Currently sitting at about 17-18 PSI and running a little bit rich, but safe to drive around and do some WOT pulls. Feels about the same, maybe slightly quicker than my previous Stage 2 setup before it blew up. Can't wait to get this thing completely dialed in.

Last edited by GravyRobber; 06-26-2019 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:21 PM   #36
06HawkeyeTR
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 499281
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2006 Subaru WRX TR
Crystal Grey Metallic

Sweet build list bro. Just got into the Subaru game. Pretty soon, I'll be there!
06HawkeyeTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:55 AM   #37
GravyRobber
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX STi
WRB

I've been very busy for the last couple weeks, but I'm up to 900 miles now. Installed Invidia N1 Street as well as some new intercooler couplers from Grimmspeed. They make installing the intercooler 100% easier as they slide right over the turbo and throttle body much easier and leave no guesses as to whether or not everything is sealed up nice. The only issue is the elbow is pressing up against the electrical connector for the TB. I can probably resolve that with some more trimming and fitting of the elbow, but I'll mess with that later. Hoping to do some more road tuning today while I anxiously await my dyno tune in a couple weeks. Pics soon.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:14 PM   #38
daniyal
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 503881

awesome build!
daniyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:58 PM   #39
GravyRobber
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX STi
WRB

Sorry for being silent in this thread. I've been extremely busy with work and with the car, but I have a bit of an update:

I'm up to about 1500 miles on the new engine. I've been road tuned, and the car pulls haaard and feels like it makes good power. There is definitely more power on the table, but we'll access that once we can get to a dyno. The new N1 exhaust sounds great! Unfortunately, I've been chasing my tail with an annoying idle issue:

I have been fighting an issue of a high idle and throwing a CEL for P0507. The car has always idled around 1000 RPM since the rebuild, but it didn't concern me much. As I continued driving it during break-in, I noticed the revs would hang when coming to a stop, and eventually settle around 1000 RPM. I always just assumed it was related to my base map needing some work. I talked to my tuner who looked over things and assured me that the tune shouldn't be the issue, and that it had to be mechanical.

I checked all the usual suspects like air and boost leaks, cleaned MAF, cleaned TB, nothing helped. I even did a pressure test with a boost leak tester AND a smoke test, just to be sure. After talking more with the tuner and some other people, we thought maybe it was related to the TB itself. I was able to find a used one for $100 (They're $600 new!) to use for trouble shooting. I installed it, and the problem remained.

I continued to chase my tail for a few days. I randomly decided to do an "oil cap test" where you remove the oil fill cap while idling (usually to check for smoke) and I was surprised to see the cap was under a STRONG vacuum. Removing it caused the engine to surge significantly, and AF correction went crazy. That struck me as strange, so I began to consider a wrongly-plumbed AOS. I do have the IAG "Street" AOS which is definitely a complex piece. I triple checked all connections to be sure they were correct, and they were. On a hunch, I decided to pinch the PCV line that goes from the AOS directly into the intake manifold (bypassing the throttle body) and VOILA! idle immediately dropped to 700, and LTFT went to 0. The reason I never found that "leak" before is because it wasn't external. The smoke test wouldn't show it, and I had the hose capped for the pressure test. The best way to describe it is an "internal air leak".

My best guess is that while rebuilding/cleaning my AOS, I found the original check valve to be clogged, so I replaced it. The new check valve I installed must have failed because when I tested it after removal, it allows uninhibited air flow in both directions. So I was getting a lot of extra unmetered air through that line directly into the intake manifold, causing a high/hunting idle.

My solution was to delete that "PCV" hose from my AOS by simply capping the nipple on the manifold, and the corresponding port on the AOS. The whole system is still venting though the AOS, I've just eliminated a redundant hose that in my case, was causing an issue. My AOS is now plumbed basically just like a Crawford V2. I confirmed that things were normal by doing the oil cap test again. No vacuum this time, just a light puff, and AF correction doesn't budge when removing the cap.

Unfortunately, this is likely going to change my AFR's across the board, so the road tuning I've done will need to be touched up. I've confirmed this by doing some light driving and datalogging. I'll get with my tuner soon, and get this tune wrapped up until I can get on a dyno.

Video describing my AOS debacle. As I said, I've since completely deleted that hose.

Old 07-17-2019, 12:28 PM   #40
GravyRobber
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX STi
WRB

Default Dyno Tuned

Went for a dyno tune yesterday, and I am definitely satisfied with the results. All said and done, it made 366whp/335wtq @20psi running a conservative and safe tune. Keep in mind, this is on 93, as E85 is not readily available where I live. The tuner was confident he could hit 400 with more aggressive timing, AFR's and more boost, but I'm not interested in peak numbers. I want it tuned for longevity, and I want to be able to do several hot laps at a track day without worrying about it. One thing he did suggest was re-gapping my plugs to a tighter gap, so I'll do that at some point. It honestly never crossed my mind when I was putting everything together.

As with all cars, one is never "finished". I'll continue to update this thread as I do more to the car. Next major items are tires/brakes/suspension as they come due. I'll be needing new tires relatively soon, so then comes the decision of whether or not to get wheels, suspension, etc...All will be track day oriented stuff as I'd like to get this car on the track soon. I'll also add an oil cooler prior to any track days.

Last edited by GravyRobber; 07-17-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:52 PM   #41
elecEng18
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 504079
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI Limited
Pearl

Extremely interesting, and i must say i was surprised a complete rebuild is possible through TSBs alone. Well done. It is unfortunate it isn't typical (accessible?) for, say, my Honda lawn mower 😇

Please keep it coming!
elecEng18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:15 PM   #42
GravyRobber
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX STi
WRB

I'm dealing with a minor issue now of some knock at WOT and higher RPM's. It wasn't present on the dyno, but on the street, its definitely learned to pull a few degrees in the high load/rpm range. The tune itself is quite conservative, so I'm inclined to think its ghost knock. In trouble shooting, I dumped some VP Octanium (same thing as Torco, actually DOES work to raise octane) just to see if it would help with the knock. I'm not seeing any feedback knock at WOT, but the fine knock learning remains and hasn't learned itself out yet. Next, I plan on removing, inspecting (maybe replacing), and reinstalling my knock sensor. I checked it out and it looks like I didn't install it perfectly in the correct orientation, so I'm going to rule that out as well.

Otherwise, I'm up to about 2500 miles and running strong. The amount of timing being pulled isn't huge, so I'm not too awfully worried about it yet.
Old 07-31-2019, 02:22 PM   #43
GravyRobber
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX STi
WRB

Well today I removed, re-seated and re-torqued my knock sensor. Went out to do some driving, including a 3rd gear pull and saw no knock at all. Not sure if its due to my correct re-installation of the knock sensor, my fuel with the additive, or a combination of both. I'll know for sure when I refuel with straight 93. If I start seeing some minor feedback knock again, I'll have some timing pulled out of my tune.

My 3rd gear pull was on a nice smooth and level street, so I decided to pull a virtual dyno from it just to see what it looks like:

Old 07-31-2019, 08:38 PM   #44
FOXxX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 424125
Chapter/Region: South East

Very interested in this build. I know it may be a matter of money but I still dont understand why you didnt opt for the upgraded cams and springs? with this setup you could have surpassed what you initially did. However I've been eyeballing the same setup as you plus the heads upgrade. Keep the updates coming!
FOXxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:17 PM   #45
GravyRobber
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX STi
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXxX View Post
Very interested in this build. I know it may be a matter of money but I still dont understand why you didnt opt for the upgraded cams and springs? with this setup you could have surpassed what you initially did. However I've been eyeballing the same setup as you plus the heads upgrade. Keep the updates coming!
No doubt, it would have been nice to do. When I started the rebuild, I didn't intend on doing even half of my current setup. But one thing leads to another and you know how it goes. With my current setup, I'm well into the 5 digit costs, and I just couldn't justify the cost of the head work since my heads were in perfect shape. Had my heads needed work, they definitely would have gotten sent out and upgraded. I'm still quite happy with the current results. I can only imagine how awesome it would be with the ability to rev to 9,000.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:40 PM   #46
jdmgts02
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 505144

Sweet build!
jdmgts02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:42 AM   #47
GravyRobber
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX STi
WRB

Well I ran out my tank with that VP Racing additive and fueled up with regular 93. I did SEVERAL pulls and saw no knock at all. So my knock sensor installed incorrectly must have been giving me some of that false knock I was seeing. Hopefully it will consistently be knock free for the next several tanks of fuel so I can be sure. Maybe add some timing if it keeps going well. I think there is a bit more power to be had while still remaining conservative and safe.

Last edited by GravyRobber; 08-11-2019 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:02 PM   #48
Baxterwagon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 179757
Vehicle:
2006 WRX STI
Aspen White

Beautiful car, thank you for documenting your build! I'll be following this.
Baxterwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:47 AM   #49
08redWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 186068
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2019 STi
DGM

Love the setup and the fact you did the transplant yourself. One day if I have to do it (which its a subie so it'll happen) i'd like to do the same thing in my garage. Its not my daily and I have a detached garage so I could take my sweet ol'time and not worry about rushing it. I like doing all I can myself to learn as much as I can.
08redWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:42 PM   #50
GravyRobber
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX STi
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxterwagon View Post
Beautiful car, thank you for documenting your build! I'll be following this.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08redWRX View Post
Love the setup and the fact you did the transplant yourself. One day if I have to do it (which its a subie so it'll happen) i'd like to do the same thing in my garage. Its not my daily and I have a detached garage so I could take my sweet ol'time and not worry about rushing it. I like doing all I can myself to learn as much as I can.
Thank you! One thing I would suggest is building an "engine reserve" fund. I did that the day I bought the car because I knew it was a "when" and not an "if". Yours is a '19 so you might not have any issues at all. For me, when the stock block failed, I already had a nice pile of funds set aside, and I ordered my IAG block that same day and began collecting parts. Of course, I went way over my original budget as soon as I went down the slippery slope of "well since its out, I might as well do this, and since I'm doing this, I might as well do that too, etc, etc..."

Honestly its been a pretty fun project. The actual wrenching never really was an issue. The biggest frustration for me was all the small parts you don't consider, and have to special order. Good example of that was my rear main seal. I screwed up my first attempt of installing it, and it damaged the seal. I had to order a new one which took a week to arrive, but that one single piece was holding up everything else. I dealt with a lot of that. Otherwise everything was surprisingly smooth and easy for a non-mechanic such as myself.